SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS site - can no longer 'highlight' text - need help...

Ok. This sounds weird. But, I need to find out if I have incorrectly coded this or what. I went to an all css design (for the most part),

....and now in several parts on the site it is vert difficult to 'highlight' text in a browser (ie. for copy and pasting).

Try it:
    http://www.remax.com
    or
    http://www.remax.com/remaxApps/agent...eSearchForm.do

Notice if you try to highlight text, it 'flips-out' - highlighting the whole page or different layers, etc... . This does not seem to happen on sitepoint.com - so I figure there is something I can do.

Anybody have any ideas?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Ie has a problem with letting you highlight text that is in absolutely positioned containers. This is a known issue and as far as I know the only way to avoid this is not to place the element absolutely. However some items have to be absolutely placed so it may be unavoidable.

All I can suggest if this is important to you is to try and keep everything in the flow and where possible use margins etc to place your elements. Of course this is only feasible some of the time.

Sorry I can't offer a fix for this

Paul

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Hi,

Ie has a problem with letting you highlight text that is in absolutely positioned containers. This is a known issue and as far as I know the only way to avoid this is not to place the element absolutely. However some items have to be absolutely placed so it may be unavoidable.

All I can suggest if this is important to you is to try and keep everything in the flow and where possible use margins etc to place your elements. Of course this is only feasible some of the time.

Sorry I can't offer a fix for this

Paul
    Paul, Thanks for letting me know that this is a known problem and the fix. Unfortunately, 'the powers that be' want the ability to copy and paste the website content into other documents. This will at least buy me some time on making a fix for it. I figure I can just make a 'print ready' page that they can go to for copy-n-pasting.

Thanks, once again, for your help!

Chad

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've just thought of a solution I forgot to mention. In quirks mode you can highlight the text with no problems.

Therefore you could force quirks mode by using the xml prologue as follows.
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    This is perfectly valid but throws ie into quirks mode where ie6 will use the broken box model in the same manner as ie5 and 5.5. Therefore you must ensure that the broken box model is taken care of without using the usual format of the hacks where ie6 gets passed back the good box model dimesnions.

Or you could use the sbmh as follows:
    Code:
    #test {
    width:200px;
    padding:50px;
    }
    * html #test {width:300px}/*only ie5, 5.5. & 6 get this */
    Or alternatively use no hacks and use inner elements to apply padding and borders etc.

Of course there are a few other differences with quirks mode but they would be the same problems you'd have to solve for ie5.5. anyway.

Hope that helps.

Paul