SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Smart programmer silver trophy M.Zeb Khan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Help me.. i want speed ..!

I have a big problem, even getting complaints from visitors...

When Visitors visit any of my site's page, the pages loads very slowly, & the screen shows white-blank for more than 7 secs, after 5 secs the page loads in flash...

Most of my site's visitors have (33.6 & 56 kbps speed)

Please have a look at this:
    http://www.batkhela.com/msn/display-pic.asp

Thanks in Advance....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you have your site all in one table? Most browsers show this kind of behaviour with that kind of sites.

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, its not in one table, you can see the code!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Table-itis!

No, it's not all in one table... it's in at least six levels of nested tables!!!
    Counting back from the body end tag, I counted:

A table in a table in a table in a div in a table in a table in a div - along with another table - in a table in a div, and that's just the bottom part.

There are far too many levels of nested tables, which would make any browser choke on your page and would cause some to break altogether.

On top of that, the code is strewn with font elements which bloat it even further; a quick code-to-content ratio scan (Holovaty) shows that less then 5% of the code actually contains readable text, without the images, which is very low; with images, it would be far poorer.

I seriously recommend you to take a long hard look at Cascading Style Sheets (CSS); it can take over a lot of the presentation aspects like font settings, borders and some basic layout blocks for which you really, really don't need tables, and font elements are out of the question at any rate.

A good source to start is the W3Schools CSS tutorial, and of course these forums.
    Regards,
    Ronald.

SitePoint Evangelist ClevaTreva's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I just loaded it twice on a 56k modem, about 10 seconds the first time, about 15 seconds the second time. I the tried Firefox, and it took only 5 seconds before something showed. None of this is unusual in my browsing experience. Moreover, the content then arrives at a pace.

Looking at the code, I can see the possible reasons:

• It relies heavily on Java, which is all over the page
    • It DOES have a table, 17 in fact.
    • It uses layers, and the browser needs to work out which bit goes on top of which, and the java may be affecting that.
    • The page code is a mess of pre-css coding, and exemplifies just why a site should be css designed.

In conclusion, the delay isn't the data coming from your server, it's the load the code is putting on the browser. The more basic a pc the user has, the worse this will be.

The page itself is a simple design, so I can see no reason why it couldn't be made in css.

Trevor
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal."
    - Pablo Picasso
    The image of ClevaTreva is drawn by Rhys, and is a GOOD likeness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ordered "CSS Without Tables Design" i will get it soon, hope that Book will help me..

But i have more than 1200+ pages, i have to edit 1 by 1..

Any more suggestions..

between: Thanks to ronaldb66 & ClevaTreva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    & please check the site now..

http://www.batkhela.com i have removed any Layer(s),,, it has only tables now..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Zeb Khan
    I have ordered "CSS Without Tables Design" i will get it soon, hope that Book will help me...
    Your site is a schoolbook example of how a site can benifit from CSS. Read the book, experiment some, make a template for each 'kind' of page your site has and start copying the information in.

The biggest problem with CSS is the different interpretation in different browsers, particulary when it comes to posititoning. In order not to make things to difficult for yourself you might want to go for a 'hybrid' design. That is, still do some of the positioning with tables. However, your table tags should no longer have any attributes (safe for 'id' and/or 'class') etc... Try to make the html as lean as possible.

But i have more than 1200+ pages, i have to edit 1 by 1..
    The more reason to do this now, before you have to do 5000. Once you have a clean CSS driven site you'll find that maintenance becomes much easier.
    Any more suggestions.
    Yes, good luck! And let us know how you're getting along.

Rik

PS: That page is 'all in one table' and more tables in that table... but still all in that one table.
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Utopia?

Zeb,

do you mean the Sitepoint book by Dan Schafer? Good choice: well written, a pleasant read, and a great start for the beginning to intermediate CSS user.

By the way, taking out divs in favor of tables is not the right way around; better to replace a table with a div where applicable...

Zoef,

Yeah, I meant: it doesn't just feature one table, but many, which only added to the problems; a case of the wrong stress on my part. But, the one was enough to hold back rendering until most or everything was loaded.

Update:

Zeb, what editor are you using to build this site?
    I noticed a couple of multiply nested, empty divs ("layers"); seems like your editor liberally adds divs without much use, which doesn't do too much damage, but it doesn't help either.
    By the way: still loading slowly...
    Regards,
    Ronald.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ronald.

i am using Dreamweaver 4.0, which is my favorite, dont really like any MX, .. etc

between, is there any Code Cleaner software etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ronald.

i am using Dreamweaver 4.0, which is my favorite, dont really like any MX, .. etc

between, is there any Code Cleaner software etc
    Zeb, If you continue to use Dreamweaver, upgrading the software to their latest version should help you with CSS as well. Dreamweaver 4 has limited CSS capabilities, which improved alot with MX and even more with MX 2004.

If you're using DW's template system, you might find it easier than you think to update your site as well.