0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question OSCommerce Customization

I currently have a website I've developed, that's about 80% complete,
    minus the shopping cart, etc.

I've downloaded OSCommerce, it all looks pretty cool. However, I want to
    know if there are any "easy to understand" tutorials out there that will
    aid me in merging my current website with the OSCommerce. I've constructed a lot of tables already with MySQL, sure would be nice if I could make the
    two work together.

Here's my site, thusfar:

www.ppshealthcare.com
    Allie
    "Sell crazy somewhere else, I'm all stocked up here"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure, but you can check out the following links:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1263

That link is about the basic template structure, actually you should check out all the contributions there and check their forums directly, you may find what you are looking far easier that way.

The actual admin manual you've probably read already, but just in case:

http://wiki.oscommerce.com/helpAdmin

Best of luck to you!
    Website Design Services!
    Quality Unique Designs Email sales@pickadesign.com
    Please Here Click To View Our Website

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ASHain - Thats a nice looking site youve got there...

Theres 2 ways I usually recommend to customers to approach this type of scenario..

1) Leave your site and your catalogue separate - customize your catalogue to match the style and theme of your site (doesnt have to be exact - just so that shoppers know they are on the same "site" - most consumers expect the shopping cart to look different then the marketing portion - Include a link from your "marketing" site to your "shop" - put as much relavent content as possible on the "marketing" site - Drawback - not really seamless integration between "marketing" and "sales" - Important to have over the long term...

2) Use an integrated CMS/eComm solution - several good ones exist - allows you to seamlessly integrate your marketing site with your ecommerce site - also - CMS system allows you to publish content instantly, etc... Drawbacks - Integrated solutions often lack flexibility - also functionality of cart may not be as feature rich - and you are limited with the # of supported payment gateways (though if you use the "majoy players" - this really is not a consideration)

Hope this helps...
    CartikaHosting.com
    Clustered, Business Grade Application Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Help Appreciated!

Thanks for your input, Andrew

I will work on digesting your suggestions... in the meantime, I welcome any and all input I can get from others. Looking for tutorials and or aid implementing my site with OSCommerce.

Basically, I want a "show item" page, where once a product is selected a new window pops up, plus utilization of the "shopping cart" and "search feature" from OSCommerce. I would like to utilize my current product tables.

I am somewhat confused, since it requested me to pull my database into the installation of OSCommerce, but I don't see those products anywhere on the test site.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Allie
    Allie

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use OSCOMMERCE, try the Simple Template Solution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/...ns,1506/page,2

It picks up where the "Basic Template Contribution" leaves off and gives you more customization options. With the Simple Template system, you can have your entire catalog powered by a single HTML page or you can use a different template for each PHP Script or category within your catalog.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's help. Oddly enough, you guys have been more helpful than the members of the OSCommerce Forum. I will digest the suggestions, then come back if I get stuck.

Thanks!
    Allie
    Allie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have written a tutorial on how to design Oscommerce. It's not had any bad reviews so far.

I particularly wrote it so that people use the base Oscommerce, rather than add in STS or BTS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have written a tutorial on how to design Oscommerce. It's not had any bad reviews so far
    I would be interested in seeing your tutorial. Where can I find it?

Thanks!!
    Allie
    Allie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gbsummer

Heyyyyyyyyyy, your EBooks look REALLY helpful. I think I will buy it, but I would like you to see my site as it looks currently, I would like to know if I can maintain what I have thus far?

www.ppshealthcare.com

What I am wanting to create, is a page that pops up when an item is selected via the radio button...on that page, the picture will be larger, with a drop down for "quantity" selected, price, and an "add to cart" button. I am really wanting to use OSCommerce for it's shopping cart, search, andpayment processor features. The rest of my site has been hand-coded. I also want to utilize all the tables that I have already created in MySQL on the host server.

Can I do these things with your tutorials/EBooks?

What's really sad, is that I have been posting on OSCommerce's forum for help, and you good folks at Sitepoint are MUCH MORE HELPFUL. Plus, I haven't run into the rude guru who would rather tell me to "read the forums" for my answers. I don't know why they don't just ignore the posts they find to have redundant questions.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, everyone!
    Allie
    Allie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, it's the site in my signature..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AShain
    What I am wanting to create, is a page that pops up when an item is selected via the radio button...on that page, the picture will be larger, with a drop down for "quantity" selected, price, and an "add to cart" button. I am really wanting to use OSCommerce for it's shopping cart, search, andpayment processor features. The rest of my site has been hand-coded. I also want to utilize all the tables that I have already created in MySQL on the host server.

Can I do these things with your tutorials/EBooks?
    Well, not really. What you are wanting is quite a departure on the "standard" way that Oscommerce works. My book shows how to use Oscommerce but mkae it not look so much like Oscommerce - (look changes rather than functinality changes).

It would be relatively easy to re-create your site using Oscommerce and stick to how your site looks at this moment (95% likeness anyway). But I think to get the exact behaviour that you want you'd need to employ someone who knows Osc inside out (rather than try to DIY)..

Hope that makes sense.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a strategy

I also agree, oscX is not designed for pop-up style products presentation as it is and getting there through oscX will be difficult.

I took a look at the website itself, I think you need to build more content on areas of specialization and then link products from them. The entire website needs quite a strategy to make everything click. Otherwise you'll end up with two sections, the shopping cart and the actual site contents.

It is entirely possible to put up a simple landing page that refreshes to the shopping cart in oscX as I have done for http://club-catalog.com . I am now about to start working on the front landing page(s) as well as other product pages of the site that provide more detail for product groups.

To get a commercial grade site, I believe yoiu need a solid foundation and strategy before embarking on anything. Development will definitely take time and be prepared to implement various stages. My experience shows that unless your team members are all geared towards eCommerce, it will be a while before you can get anything up.

I'm willing to work on your project on consultancy basis, as I am doing for http://club-catalog.com. PM me for discussion(s).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I provide osC based e-Commerce hosting and then work on customizing the catalog into the overall site layout. Because its php, its actually very easy to integrate because of the wonderful include feature. So you can customize the header and footer (for instance) to work on all pages. I also do a little page dir detection to know if I'm in the catalog directory or not to know how to present the header file.

You can also comment out boxes and such that you just don't want to avoid that Wal_mart appearance.

www.breekeytonministries.com
    www.equesport.com