SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My web-host isn't set up for sub-domains...yet...but they are supposed to be implementing the feature real soon. In the meantime {or perhaps it might be preferable anyways} I have several doorway pages that I would like to submit to the SE's...either by having them referenced by a sub-domain or some sort or by using a re-direction service. This would primarily be for the purpose of submitting them to the SE's.

I know of several "free" url re-direction services but I was wondering if any there are any services out there that for a small fee will either provide unlimited sub-domains (user@theirdomain.com) or unlimted re-directs. Another point to consider is do the SE's even index pages referenced by services like "user.hop.to" or "user.go.to"? I'm just trying to avoid being caught spamdexing the SE's. I have had a lot of luck signing up for free services like Homestead.com (keyword@homestead.com) uploading a bunch of doorways and then getting traffic from them but this process is getting harder and harder. {finding e-mail address to use to sign up for "free" hosting, keeping up with all the servers, etc) Any comments or suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you'd point your DNS to mydomain.com's servers, they allow you to have unlimited subdomains for free, but you'll need some other way of accessing your website (did they give you a unique IP address?). And of course, this is free (I use it on one of my domains)
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Lirux,

I think MyDomain may be just what I was looking for!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great. don't forget to go for the myDNS service if you want subdomains
    (mydomain's normal service doesn't allow that, so you just have to make that simple change)
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used mydomain.com for awhile now and have been really happy with their set up and service.
    they just recently upgraded their system and I like it alot better, and its easy to use

I was wondering the same thing about how the SE's would veiw these as? spam? over indexed ip? I thought about emailing google for the answer, maybe I will put that on my to do list this week.

zero b

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: redirection service

Hi,

I tried http://www.mydomain.com and was impressed with their high-level of service, all for free. I found their support to be a bit slow, however, and decided to try http://www.redirection.net for one of my domains. They cost $5/US per redirection account, and their support was almost instant on several occasions. Since you asked for a low cost service, this seems like your best bet.

Downside: I couldn't really find any negatives to their service. It went online pretty fast, which was impressive since I am using it for an international (TLD) domain that usually takes awhile.

Hope that helps,