SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Http://artbyjudy.com

Just finished revamping our site and would appreciate if some readers could take a second and open a gallery on the site click to enlarge a painting and confirm the popups work as they should. I
    have NS4.7 and IE5 resolution set to 800x600 and they seem to work as they should with that
    setup. Am interested in confirming following works with other browsers ie: NS6, Opera and/or
    higher screen resolution.

1) Popup is coded to be basically centred in screen to the right side so Menu remains visible. Pictures in popup should be totally visible. I believe they will be more in the centre for 1024 resolution. Not sure how to code the popup to have it come up in the middle of the right side of the screen with 1024 and 800

2)I am testing Javascript:window.close () function to see if it works with popup windows on our site.
    When I tested it at home on my browsers a window comes up asking to confirm the close. At the
    host level it doesn't seem to ask this at least not for me. I have NS4.& IE5.0 and NS6

I actually have an onblur function in the popup that with NS4.7 and IE5.X lets the user close the
    window by clicking anywhere on either open window but it was reported that with NS6 and Opera
    this function didn't work. To ensure all browsers work I decided to make the close window button
    active which I originally put on as a cosmetic thing just so those not wanting to use the close box
    would have a physical spot to guide them.

Would appreciate if some of you good folks could test this out and let me know if it works as it should. Especially with Opera , IE5.5 and earlier vs of Netscape.

The test images are located at the following url on our site http://www.artbyjudy.com/florals.html
    The top 2 images "Stargazers" and "Pink Teacup" when clicked to enlarge will open popup windows
    which have the onblur function and will close when anywhere is clicked with NS4.7 and IE5 the
    second row with "White Rose" and "Interior" will require the "window close" link be clicked.

Any other observations to help improve will be welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

It is always a pleasure to review a site dedicated to art. This will be the first watercolor site for me. One thing I like about art sites is the abhorance of the straight line found in so many other sites. Not that they are wrong, rather the striving for individualality in the art site. Thanks in advance.

IE5.5

Front page. clean, neat, soothing, an immediate move to slow the viewer to a pace more conducive to relaxation.

Florals. The Garlic Bells of Ireland and Tulips have a different link to close than the earlier four. There is no UL in the close. Apples in a Chinese Bowl has the close wording half chopped by the lower boundry. Tulips has no UL and looks great. Summary: Either UL or no UL and move the close for the Chinese Bowl.
    No larger view for any of the art after the Florals and Still Life. Landscapes No large view on any click on this page. The title for Rainy and On Ril Lake are not below the painting. Barn fire, Bird in Cedars and Irises have label out of place as before.

Nice treatment of the photo of Judy Thorley and about the right amount of bio. Just enough to let the viewer know a bit about her and not an expository.

Concerning the guestbook. Matt Wright's guest book is great. But if you have php a slightly different treatment could be done to align all the boxes. Also centering this would be a good thing. I would recommend using the same bg for this page as for the front page if you decide to write your own. This would allow you to include your menu and any bg you desire.

This also brings up the possiblity of mailing lists, since this would add only a check box to the mysql.

One thing is that some of the pages are centered and some are not.

Netscape Navigator 4.08

Much the same as the IE with the wonderful exception that the larger pictures all worked. The label problem still exists in NN that showed up in IE.

Looks good.

Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by edshuck; Feb 22, 2001 at 14:25.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,I'm running at 800x600 and your popups seem to be loading slightly to the right for me. That is probably because you have designed it to load centered at a higher resolution. Maybe there is a center tag for the popups instead of assigning it a location on the screen to load? The link to 'close this window' doesn't confirm with me about closing the window. It simply closes the window after I click on it. I think those were your only two questions. BTW I'm running Netscape Communicator 4.73 incase that helps.Brian
    Brian Frye
    Webmaster - MagnaNetwork.com
    Headquarters for Webmaster Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed Thank You. I can see the source of some problems is I optimized everything using NS4.7 and IE5.0 in 800X600 set at 125%. I need to figure out a way to set the font size to be smaller at the higher resolution.I don't understand why the larger pictures don't pop up with IE5.5 when you tried them on the other galleries. They work with my IE5.0. Can someone else confirm this and possibly tell me if they see a problem.I am aware of the link not being set in the close button and plan changing this as outlined in the last paragraph of my initial post. I had set the windows to close with an onblur function which would close when anywhere on the screen was clicked but someone reported that wasn't working correctly in NS6 and Opera.Not sure what you mean by UL Are you referring to the close window where I actually have it linked on the first 4 florals? Is this the IE underlining the link if so when all links are set up it should be on them all. I would prefer to code the link so it doesn't underline but not sure how at this point. I have underline turned off on my browser so I don't see them.I can't duplicate the problem with the label. Tried 1024 resolution at diferent sizes. What is yours 100% on the setup.quoteThe title for Rainy and On Ril Lake are not below the painting. Barn fire, Bird in Cedars and Irises have label out of place as beforeNot sure what you mean is the title for the paintings on the Landscape thumbs wrapping on the side rather than printed below.Will definitely improve on the guestbook in the future and use a BG as in the info page.Thanks again didn't realize I would have so much work ahead still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

.I don't understand why the larger pictures don't pop up with IE5.5 when you tried them on the other galleries. They work with my IE5.0. Can someone else confirm this and possibly tell me if they see a problem.
    This is a really good idea. What is really mind boggling for me is that some (the first two) worked in IE and the rest did not. All worked in NN.
    Not sure what you mean by UL Are you referring to the close window where I actually have it linked on the first 4 florals? Is this the IE underlining the link if so when all links are set up it should be on them all.
    Yes, just referring to the underline for the close link in the expanded picture.

What is yours 100% on the setup.
    I am set to 1024. Is this what you mean?

quoteThe title for Rainy and On Ril Lake are not below the painting. Barn fire, Bird in Cedars and Irises have label out of place as beforeNot sure what you mean is the title for the paintings on the Landscape thumbs wrapping on the side rather than printed below.
    Yes to all. The photo shows with the title or part of the title at the right bottom and if there is more title it is centered below. This is something I always have to work through. I never get it right the first or second time.

Will definitely improve on the guestbook in the future and use a BG as in the info page.

Thanks again didn't realize I would have so much work ahead still.
    [/quote]

The whole point is that you do not have that much to do. The page looks fine and that is much more than many of us can say. The care that you have taken shows thru. Find the problem with the larger photos, and with the wrap and it is a wrap. Well, is any web page ever finished?

Peace and best to you. Thanks for the most welcome comments. Ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My res is 1280x1024x32 and your popup's land in the top middle of my screen which leaves the menu visible.I personally would left align the menu, but then one of my pet hates is centred text :O)
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone with IE5.5 please check to see whether the images on the gallerries other than Florals enlarge when clicked. Edshuck found a problem when he tried but when I use the latest vs of 5.5 I found no problem.Drinky it starts off at the far right for 800X600 and centres for the higher resolutions. I am actually going to try to find a way of having it be in the same place for all browsers. I tried left align on all the menu but then the galleries headings didn't seem right. I may revisit it some time as I am not crazy about the effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used IE 5.5 and din't notice any images inlarging when clicked, only change was a background on navigation links on mouse over.

Nice art work, BTW.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Graham

I retract my earlier feedback about the large images. They are working for me now.

I don't know what changed.

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed your site, I love anything about art. IE5.5 1024x768 . All pop-ups worked well, no problems there.When you go to a section I really didnt care for the cream menu/title on black, just looked a little 'cheap' and detracted from the excelent art work. Maybe a classy logo up top speficly designed for the black background?Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ed. This is getting a bit worrisome though as Westmich in his post indicates he used 5.5 and the thumbs didn't enlarge when clicked. Do you or anyone know whether some javascript functions are prone to not load properly? I wish I could get more feedback on other users on this function as to whether it is working or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I opened a thread in the area that does js. It is http://www.sitepointforum.com/showth...threadid=17268

I have ask them t o visit the thread and look at the problem. There should be some answers (at least comments) soon.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed I hopefully have made a change which should correct the failure to load the popup containing a larger view of the paintings.

Cleaned up as many of the other problems as I could find.

Would some of you kind folks out there test it out and see if the problem of the popup not loading is fixed for sure. It was only reported to occur with IE5.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Very beautiful website.

Very easy to use.

The onblur worked quite well. Actually I had flicked away to another page and I was trying to figure out where the popup window had gone until I read that you had placed an onblur.

Although it works well, it isn't necessary as a "close window" link is fine.

I have 1024x768 32Bit color,
    MSIE 5.5 and the popup appeared in the horizontal centre of the screen vertically near the top. It could be seen easily.

The image I viewed was "At Ciboney"
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyones assistance. Hopefully I got all problems fixed.

Regarding the close window link I added that last because the on blur function didn't work with NS6 (so much for the Netscape advances) and decided to leave it in. If it wasn't there if someone got mailor whatever and was distracted it would automatically close. The downside is someone might want to have 2 picture open to look ant both and wouldn't be able to