SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody noticed the new 360x300 Flash tile currently appearing on CNET's News.com? What are your thoughts on the new format -- will it catch on? Will people develop a blind spot for it? Should SitePoint switch to this new ad size to satisfy advertisers, and in the process reduce the number of ads per page to 1?
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a very extensive discussion on Geek/Talk surrounding this soon after the new ad space was launched. You may find it to be of interest:

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004444.html

You may have also noticed that Internet.com has followed CNET's lead. They now feature similarly-sized flash boxes that encourage interaction within the ad, but without requiring the user to leave the host site.

Actually, CNET, Disney and a few other media properties recently petitioned the IAB in order to have new ad sizes and formats declared standard, so you should see these boxes, as well as skyscraper ads, become more prevailent over the coming months.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --As a user, I don't like the big box--it's distracting and in the way.

--As a publisher, I feel it would be hard to build a design around... I prefer the tower/skyscraper ads displayed along the right hand column.. it's still right next to the content. I am getting better results for ads shown in the right-hand column on my site, and the size is also flexible. The problem is that most advertisers don't have creatives designed for a vertical space.

145x800 tower ads are going to start being shown on the luna network... and at that size, they are just as noticable as that flash tile but not in the way.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disregard this post. Accidently clicked submit before I was finished.
    Last edited by webwizard; Feb 22, 2001 at 21:18.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Matt Mickiewicz
    Should SitePoint switch to this new ad size to satisfy advertisers, and in the process reduce the number of ads per page to 1?
    Interesting you would bring this up, Matt. I do see a way of sitepoint.com embedding this into their site, but how about sitepointforums.com. How do you plan to use those type of ads in your forums (if you do plan to use them there)?

I am very interested to know if you don't mind explaining.