SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't format new HD after getting BSOD

I had a fairly stable computer (for 2 years) running Win2000Pro on 1.7 Athlon/Gigabyte mb with dual bios. Suddenly, losts of strange little errors and hangs, so decided to wipe the drive and reinstall the os. Used Win2000 bootdisks (from bootdisk.com) with the CD, created max size NTFS partition, and ran Setup apparently successfully. Worked fine for 2 sessions. But, after that couldn't boot due to BSOD & message about hive error. (STOP READING HERE IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER...)

Maybe a bad harddrive? Decided to wipe & reinstall the operating system again anyway. Setup finds the partition & tries to format it, I watch the yellow bar all the way to 100%, then see message "unable to format this partition, Setup cannot continue, press F3". *@!#!!

Using utility disks to fdisk the drive, (this time create a FAT partition), format it, then running Setup again gives same result.

I bought a brand new hard drive, installed it, and the same thing happens.

Can't think of anything to add. Wouldn't want to be LONG, ya know. Thanks for reading, and hopefully rendering some good advice?? (I know, s**tcan the motherboard, right?)

Thanks,
    Chuck

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does indeed sound like a bad hard drive, although I have never experienced or heard of that particular error, so I have no way of being sure.

It might be worth trying the same format on another hard drive, if you have one, because I suppose that it could be the motherboard.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Not sure what was really happening. Another case of demonic posession I guess. Replaced the mobo, bought a copy of XP, and off to the races we go. I'm re-using the HDs (old one plus the new one I bought), memory, modem, CD, CDRW, and floppy drive. Got a new video card too, just for good measure. So about $309 and should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Case Closed.

Chuck

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you got things sorted out.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    windows 2k had a annoying system hive error .... thats probally what caused u to think ur hd was bad....

i had the same problem bought a new harddrive for nothing.... turns out microsoft just sucks...