User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Categorization of products

Hi there,

I am working on a shop which contains many products by now. So we need to do some categorization in order clients can still find what they are looking for.

I am starting from scratch and I am looking for the best way to do this. Can somebody advise which would be the prefered way to solve this, as I have never done this before?

E.g. I am thinking of a solution where I have an extra table containing the categories and the products id and each category is set to 0 or 1. So one field per category, or should I go with a list in one field separated by a delimiter?

I hope you get my szenario

Thanks for any help, best regards,

ASchweti

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would create 3 tables, one for products, one for categories and a table linking products to categories. This will allow you to have a product in multiple categories if needed. You may not need this now but if you ever do, you wont have to rework your db structure.

Keith

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith,

we do need do have products in multiple categories already. Maybe I didn't make that clear?

What I don't know how to do is, how clients should be able to select from multiple categories? Would your structure be able to handle this?

Having a form where clients can choose multiple categories, would I submit those categories in an array? How could my MySQL query look like.

Sorry for so many questions. A hint where or how to start would be fine

Regards,

ASchweti

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your query might look something like.
    Code:
     SELECT * FROM products 
     LEFT JOIN category_product ON product.product_id = category_product.product_id
     WHERE category_product.category_in IN (2,6,7)
    This will not be the end all query, by any means, but it may give you a start.

Keith