SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished revamping our site and would appreciate if some readers could take a second and open a gallery on the site click to enlarge a painting and confirm the popups work as they should. I have NS4.7 and IE5 resolution set to 800x600 and they seem to work as they should with that setup. Am interested in confirming following works with other browsers ie: NS6, Opera and/or higher screen resolution.

1) Popup is coded to be basically centred in screen to the right side so Menu remains visible. Pictures in popup should be totally visible.

2) I have used the following code in the head section of each popup page onBlur="window.close()" and this should allow the viewer to click anywhere on the original bowser window or the popup to close the image. I have placed a "close window" notation in each window but this is cosmetic only. My wife insists because she wondered where to close the window others would as well.

If I wanted to actually place a button which would work could someone tell me what code to use in the link and would this still allow the onBlur="window.close()" to work which I think is the best method.

url to view http://artbyjudy.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My computer specs:

• Windows ME
    • 17' Monitor @ 800x600
    • 640k/640k DSL

IE (5.5): Everything works fine.

OPERA: When I click on a painting in makes the main window smaller, then pops-up the window over top of the main window, thus hiding the menu. Also, the "Close Window" link doesn't work.

NS (6): Everything works fine until I tried using the "Close Window" link. It didn't work, so I tried just closing the window normally which restarted my computer! Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Justin

I went and checked with NS6 and while it wouldn't close the window when clicked on either browser screen, it closed it okay when I clicked the close box. NS6 doesn't seem to support the onblur at least the way it is set-up.
    I don't think I will worry about Opera at least at this time but I guess I should place a close button link that works to at least close the window in it and NS6.

Can someone suggest the best code to use to close a window when a link is clicked?
    Should I use javascript:self.close () or is there a plain vanilla html which does it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to my Original message.

I am testing Javascript:window.close () function to see if it works with popup windows on our site. When I tested it at home on my browsers a window comes up asking to confirm the close. At the host level it doesn't seem to ask this at least not for me. I have NS4.& IE5.0 and NS6

I actually have an onblur function in the popup that with NS4.7 and IE5.X lets the user close the window by clicking anywhere on either open window but it was reported that with NS6 and Opera this function didn't work. To ensure all browsers work I decided to make the close window button active which I originally put on as a cosmetic thing just so those not wanting to use the close box would have a physical spot to guide them.

Would appreciate if some of you good folks could test this out and let me know if it works as it should. Especially with Opera , IE5.5 and earlier vs of Netscape.

The test images are located at the following url on our site http://www.artbyjudy.com/florals.html
    The top 2 images "Stargazers" and "Pink Teacup" when clicked to enlarge will open popup windows which have the onblur function and will close when anywhere is clicked with NS4.7 and IE5 the second row with "White Rose" and "Interior" will require the "window close" link be clicked.