SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to create a presentation table, which has within it rows of differing colours (for heading levels). The way I have done it works fine in ie, but not in netscape (4.7).

I have tried both attributing the colour to the table rows, and to individual cells within those rows (ie <tr bgcolor="#CCFFFF">, and <td width="n%" bgcolor="#CCFFFF"> ).

For some reason, Netscape only colours the first cell in the second coloured row, while ie colours the entire row. I will try and upload it somewhere if anyone needs to take a look, but if it is a glaringly obvious problem, please let me know.

Cheers,

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape behaves different at setting the color of a cell.

First, set the color for each cell individually (no <tr bgcolor=...>, just at <td)

Then, make sure that each cell actually has some content, a &nbsp; or a blank gif 1X1 could do the job.

That should help (Oh... I really hate designing for netscape)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many reasons.

For one, your code isn't up to standard.
    NEVER PUT ANY CODE IN <TR> TAGS
    they are just as a form of definition for a new line ( new row ) of table cells.

if you want an entire tbale to be blakc for exmapl,e place bgcolor="" in your <table> code and ignore all specifications for colour backgorund in the entire <td> tags.

you can also specificy the bgcolor in all the <td> tags.
    sometimes however, your colour/cell doens't show in netscape

it could be that yor cell is empty. just put a &nbsp; code into your cell..like:

<td>&nbsp;</td>

that should do the trick.
    otherwise, post your problem here and w'ell help
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have found that for NS table problems you HAVE to put a &nbsp; in the "empty" cells in order for NS to treat them even close to "properly"... in DW 4 the new layout mode allows for much easier table building that NS will accept... i strongly recommend it...

and I echo the comment above... I HATE DESIGNING FOR NS...

i was reading on the w3c.org site that there's a new coalition being formed for the standardization of browser compatibility... a group of designers who are equally as frustrated by the issue... if we all get involved, maybe we can get some changes made...

cheers
    kera mchugh
    designer
    somethingelse web+graphics
    www.time4somethingelse.com