SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i've got a bit of a dilema here.
    i customer for a website is wanting to sell tangible product online. the client doesnt poses a merchant account.

the thing is this is all new to me (19 year old) and i'm starting to consider if i'm really up for it, or should i just recomend something like paypal and get away with it?!!

wo i would be greatfull to hear about your experiences setting up something with http://www.ccnow.com. but i'm up for a challege that big?

please le me choose the right path for this.
    DIEGO MOORE

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I wouldn't recommend PayPal to them. If the client doesn't have a lot of money to purchase a real merchant account then I'd suggest a 3rd party until they eventually get the capital to support a real merchant account.

Some good ones to recommend are:

IBill.com
    CCNow.com
    ClickBank.com
    Globill-Systems.com - If the client offers memberships only.
    CCSlide.com
    ProPay.com

There's more out there, but the above ones are good. I'm sure others will post their recommendations also. Setting them up is relatively easy. I've had experience setting up CCNow on a site and they spell it out for you how to do this and that and it's really simple. You shouldn't have a problem. I didn't and it was the first time I ever setup a CCNow account for someone.

And even if they wanted a real merchant account setting that up isn't difficult either. It's just a matter of securing the order page, changing the the "form action" to the credit card processors processing server, etc. There's also a few more steps when setting up a shopping cart too, but there's lots of shopping cart solutions out there that are easy to setup. All in all though, it's quite simple and once you do it the first time, the easier it becomes when you set it up for future clients.

Don't let being young stop you. I'm 21 and while I'm no "guru" on payment acceptance, I'm getting there and learning more each and every day.

If clients are interested in a real merchant account send them over to my site, MerchantSeek (http://www.merchantseek.com). They can familiarize themselves with how credit card processing works (plus other payment acceptance options) and even search for a provider that meets their needs and budget. I try to break things down so people can easily understand how the process works.

I hope this was of some help to you. If you have any questions just let me know! I'm here to help you out any way I can.

Regards,
    Jim Conley II
    CEO/Founder - MerchantSeek
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance. Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers, nice one.
    it just gives me some more confidence...
    one last thing though, any recomendations for a uk specific?
    DIEGO MOORE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good one that I know of is WorldPay (http://www.worldpay.com/uk/index.html). I've heard some really good things about them and their price is right too, at least I believe so.

I would give them a good look.

Anytime you have a question feel free to fire away either here or by my e-mail...or even ICQ (if you have that) my number there is 106852885

Cheers!

Jim Conley II
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance. Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you recommend iBill? I've heard different opinion on this. And also I don't know how effective the payment system might go, should I try PayPal first then go for a more professional one?

Thanks
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Son,

If you don't have the capital to support a real merchant account then using a service like IBill would be a good option, but plan on getting your own merchant account eventually. Unless you don't mind running through a middle-man and having less control.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend PayPal...the hassles of having to sign-up first with PayPal before ordering is a hassle. If I come across a site that only uses PayPal, I leave. I'm not interested in dealing with a 3rd party provider, I want to deal directly with the merchant themselves. I also personally feel it cheapens the merchants site, it seems to portray the image that the merchant isn't interested in spending a little bit more money to have a better payment system for their customers, thus customer ease of ordering isn't high on the merchants priority list. Customer perception holds a lot of weight on the Internet. For example, if your site looks unprofessional, people will think your product offerings are too.

Some other 3rd party services you may want to look at are:

ClickBank.com
    ProPay.com
    CCSlide.com
    CCNow.com
    Revecom.com

These are just a few, again check out IBill as they do have a nice setup, I think. I'm not sure how great they are as I've never used them, but I've heard some good things from people. Granted, I'm sure some people don't like them, but you're going to find this with every processor. Everyones expectations are different.

Once you're ready for a real merchant account you can slip over to MerchantSeek (http://www.merchantseek.com) and do a free search. You may want to go and bookmark the site now so you have it.

Anyway, shoot for low cost if your capital is short, then work up to a real merchant account once things get zooming for ya.

Regards,
    Jim Conley II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does a merchant account cost then?

As I posted in another thread I'm interested in netbilling.com because of their low rates.
    I would like to know what the costs of a merchant account are, to get a better picture of the total costs involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jamesbond,

Obviously costs for a real merchant account are higher than going through a 3rd party, but if you research enough you can find a merchant account provider who is very quite reasonable. You have to watch though some providers charge way too much for their solutions and some even charge hidden fees and such. So make sure you do your homework and check out every corner.

My suggestion would be to check out my Solutions Guide at http://www.merchantseek.com/guide.htm Here I have a table setup of approx. costs associated with having a merchant account.

Recurring costs associated with Internet processing are:

* Discount rate
    * Transaction fee
    * Monthly minimum
    * Gateway fee
    * Statement fee
    * Plus any lease you may be bound to, but it's much better to purchase than lease.

Lower discount rates and transaction fees apply to Retail merchants, while higher discount rates and transaction fees apply to MOTO (Mail Order/Telephone Order) and Internet merchants. This is because Retail establishments are considered less likely to have fraudulent orders.

There's a bunch more information there so feel free to travel around as time permits. If in the future you'd like a personal recommendation let me know, I know of a few of the really good deals.

Any questions let me know!

Regards,
    Jim Conley II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I didn't realize you were a non-US business. Sorry. Costs for those are higher, but I would suggest checking out WorldPay (http://www.worldpay.com) as they have a nice setup. Their costs seem to be much more reasonable too.

Regards,
    Jim Conley II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, thank you for the worldpay.com link , their plan looks very good.
    I e-mailed them for some more info and I'm waiting for their mail.

I found another merchantaccount+payment processor which is www.echo-inc.com with very nice rates.
    I don't know if they accept international businesses though (I e-mailed them as well)

And then I came across cardservices international ( www.onlinecsi.com ) which looks good as well.

Anyone any experience with echo-inc.com or cardservices international?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know CardService Intl. is a pain to leave if you want to use another provider. I've heard some rather horrid stories of poeple getting charged for leaving them and such, employees changin passwords so people wouldn't leave, etc. I'm not saying this from personal experience, I've heard this from another person who tried to switch. I also believe their system is not compatible with other merchant account providers so if you did change you may have to have your equipment re-programmed, or may need to get new equipment period.

Don't get me wrong maybe CSI (CardService Intl.) is a great company, I'm just looking out for you in the event you wish to leave them for someone else with better rates. Maybe you wouldn't have problems, but if it was me I don't know that I'd take the plunge with them.

Now on the other hand, I've heard Echo to be a good company from someone whose used them for their processing needs. BUT, Echo can only provide their services to US-based businesses.

Post how things go! I'm interested on hearing.

Regards,
    Jim Conley II