SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I am working on a site at Freedom2Surf. I use MSIE 5.5 most of the time.

After I make changes to my pages I upload them to the site via FTP so I can see the changes on the web. After I load the page I DO NOT SEE THE CHANGES even after waiting over 24 hours.

I have even deleted the pages from the server and then uploaded the "changed" page. I still get the old page loading in the browser.

I have gone so far as to delete the page from the server and then attempt to call it from the browser. Sure enough it will load. Imagine!! Even when it is no longer on the server.

I have cleared out my browser history and deleted "temporary internet files". I do not know what else to do.

Any and all input and ideas will be appreciated.

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try clearing the changed files off the server first then upload the new files...

This may not be a problem with a straight ftp program but with a built in program with your editor???

When you clear temp internet files and history files make sure you restart you browswer or do this offline before previewing your site... You may have already tried this???

Unless you are on a weird server you should see your changes right away. Double check the directory's etc. to make sure you are uploading them to the proper place???

Hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your site in another browser-- it's probably your Temporary Internet Files.

If you're using IE, go into:
    Tools > Internet Options > Temp Internet Settings > and choose "every visit to the page" at the top.

That'll make sure that every time you visit a certain page it will look for a new one on the server, rather than taking the one stored on your computer.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember why this works but its somthing to do with deleting files on caching servers out there on the web;

open your page when its loaded hold down the shift key and click the refresh button - it has worked for me in the past,

Cheers

Simon

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ANOTHER possibility is that your ISP (AOL perhaps?) is caching the pages. AOL is not the only one that does this by the way. I have a client with the same problem which I solved ( because she got tired of waiting for the cache to expire ....yes deleting the temp internet files didn't work for her either) by making the links dynamic (http://somelink.com?12436576 <--- and making that number random. This forced her browser and ISP to think it was a new page.

HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I did once? I got my IP # prior to my domain name pointing to the server. So when I FTPed I always used the IP#. Then I changed servers. Forgot to change the IP# in the FTP program and I kept making changes to the site, and uploading the new files over and over again, but the new pages wouldn't show. I couldn't figure it out until my previous server shut down my site and the FTP wouldn't connect any more. Boy did I feel stupid, I went like this for about a week or so. Not realizing that the changes weren't showing. LOL
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold down the SHIFT key + Refresh to get the latest verison of the page.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SoldierMail
    Hold down the SHIFT key + Refresh to get the latest verison of the page.
    If you are in Netscape it is your Control key. But anyway, that probably won't fix it as that only decaches your browser cache. I suffer from the same problem and discovered that it was my ISP that was cacheing the pages and there wasn't much I could do about it! In fact it still does it and I still have problems viewing pages that change often such as SitePoint!

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed the same problem with F2s. Often times if Im working on some flash pieces and I upload a new version it wont show up for hours for some reason. My main server doesnt have this problem so it sounds to me like its a f2s issue.

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.