SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handling data across drives with MySQL

Hi, I have a really basic understanding of MySQL and PHP so I wanted to ask if it might be possible to do something like this.

My company has a file structure using typical window folders and file permissions that sorts the data of 4 departments. They want to add the functionality of a database, but keep the file structure. It spreads across multiple drives and goes no more than 4 folder levels deep.

Is it possible to structure a database around this, to be able to create folders and add files to specific locations??

An example of a typical operation would be
    1) Person adds database entry that creates a folder in a certain location.
    2) Person takes ownership of the folder to edit content
    3) Person releases ownership

Main reason to have the files still accessible through the drives is so they can be viewed even if they are being edited. I know this probaly sounds like an application in its self, but I'm mainly wondering if it's possible to control this through a database. can this be done??

Thanks.
    Last edited by goatlip; May 18, 2004 at 06:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is do able if your going to use PHP and mySql. PHP certainly can handle the File structure, and database can be use to create handle logins and track changes etc.

PHP can handle creating of folders and locking certain folders and release it when the user is completed.
    I am pretty sure that is call "fileperms" function which can handle it.

However I can not really see Database really controling the events of creating folders and other files to go into the a certain area. The scipting language will handle that.

Database will generally store information log in and other data that will be useful for the script.

To answer your question it can be done. I see no reason why it can not.
    OneX Square Creation
    One man said Why ? ... Another man said Why not ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm using PHP and MySQL. I'll check out the 'fileperms' function as well. thanks.

I think I may need to use a VB script that creates the folder structure.Could this scipted be called through the database. I'd like to have a frontend that can handle everything, so as not to have a bunch of little applications that need to be executed. Can VB scripts be displayed in a PHP frontend environment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to use VBscript, then I can suggest instead of using PHP and mysql try using Access with ASP. I never used VBscript with Mysql before. I am uncertain if VB script can be displayed in a PHP evironment.
    OneX Square Creation
    One man said Why ? ... Another man said Why not ?