SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prevention on wwwboard spam....

I am having a nightmare with my on-site wwwboard message board. It is getting bombed with spam at the rate of 50-200 a day!
    I even changed its name from "wwwboard" to something else as it seems the messages were being posted automatically from bot-type spiders merely looking for a "wwwboard" directory on whichever site.

That stopped things totally for about a month...now it has started again. I would go over to a phpBB type solution but I have already tried that. Uses too much resources and having to register just put too many people off. We are not a forum site but the membership-free wwwboard type thing works well and we do well off adsense ads on it too...so I would like to persist.

What other solutions exist? I tried blocking IP numbers in .htaccess but the bots are changing IPs daily so it just isn't working.

I was thinking of using .htaccess to limit posts per IP to, say, once every 10 minutes or so. How would I do that? Is there any other way of doing it...I even looked into having two forums on the go...a clean one and a "filter" one which I check before allowing posts onto the clean one...but it would just increase my work load unnecessarily and that is the last thing I want.

ideas people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not switch to a different forum script?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884
    Why not switch to a different forum script?
    Yeah, in the end I did. Using CuteCast and very impressed with it too.

Uses perl/cgi and not mysql.