SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto-creating pages from datafeeds...i'm confused

Okay, I've been reading up lately on creating sites from datafeeds and I know of hundreds of places to get these datafeeds. But...what I don't get is how you automatically create hundreds of thousands of pages automatically from these datafeeds. I just don't get it. ANY information on how to do this, what scripts can do this, example sites that were made this way, would be absoutely stellar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the general idea of making this pages is by using a newsfeed reader like CARP (http://www.geckotribe.com/rss/carp/) and passing a feed into this, which will then display the results (link and small text description of topic contents)

You could then write a small PHP script to loop through a long list of feeds and get carp to display these. By making it a bit more complex you could list these datafeeds by category and make your own 'news' type site.

I believe that CARP has the ability to make 'cached' versions of pages so by getting the search engines to spider the pages, this in turn would make actual pages for each of the feeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to install CARP to process just a single feed into an existing template. I can't seem to find install help for carp other than the "pay me and I'll install it for you" shown on their site.

This is the error I'm getting:

Warning: main(/home/dogschoice/carpfeed/carpsetupinc$page.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/dogschoice/public_html/carpsetup.php on line 13

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/home/dogschoice/carpfeed/carpsetupinc$page.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/dogschoice/public_html/carpsetup.php on line 13

what do I need to change in the path for CARP to work. Alternately is there an easier (for us coding challanged folks) method of getting a feed into my page.

Thanks for any help given.

Connie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoid
    Alternately is there an easier (for us coding challanged folks) method of getting a feed into my page.
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoid
    "pay me and I'll install it for you"

Joking apart... how 'challenged' are you excactly?

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoef
    :

Joking apart... how 'challenged' are you excactly?

Rik
    Well....I'm not a total loss and I can be taught (honestly). I'm good with html, and so so with css, I've configured my shopping cart on my own and have even (with coaching) written php arrays.

My biggest challange with new stuff is that I don't know where to put things. My pages are built by calling html documents into a php template (x=blah) and I'm not sure which part of the code goes into blah and if the rest of the code goes somewhere else (and where) or if I have to build something totally new.

Also with the RSS code - I have seen a lot of different references to pear, SSI, perl and cgi but just looking at a code - I have no idea which of these, if any, I need and does that open a whole new can of installation worms.

Is that "too" challanged for me to be trying this?

Thanks for your response.

Connie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Connie, sorry for the late responce.

There's basically two technologies you should get a bit more familiar with. I'm not saying that to do what you want you need to be an expert in these fields but you should get your toes wet at least an know 'what it is about'.

The first is Php, I would recommend that you pick up a beginners book on this (Siteponts own for example). Online tutorials only tell you that much. This will help you to know 'where to put things' and more.

The second technologie is RSS. The thing about RSS is that it is not 'one format'. There's a number of competing formats out there whom all have their little quircks. However, they all are XML, so it wouldn't harm to find out a few things about that either.

Don't be disouraged. All these things are not that difficult. You just need to get your head around them.

Alternatively, I hear that there's some javascript RSS parsers out there, so you might want to go that way .

To leave you with one last link... This is a RSS parser in Php which can be implemented with basic Php knowledge: http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/

Have fun!

Rik
    Last edited by Zoef; Jun 2, 2004 at 09:39.
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac