SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of www.radioload.com

Hi all,

I just finished the basic design (and functions/kode) of my new website. Feel free to post any comments

www.radioload.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing this in top - after 6 days waiting.

I just finished it, not that many stations submitted yet.
    Would also be interrested to know, how long time before you know what the site it about.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overall design is quite nice - it's clean, functional, easy on the eye and relatively uncluttered.

I would say the design is certainly fine for now & you should concentrate on spending all your time building the database of stations. Ultimately, if your site looked dreadful yet had a really good quality database of stations it'd still be successful - whereas a nicely designed site with no stations is not going to do well

Marcus
    www.binarydrive.com

PS
    I understood immediately what the site was about. Your slogan explains that pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should define a background color, it shows grey to me (which looks horrible) due to my Windows color settings. I am assuming you intend it to be white.

You links to the different music formats seems rather plain, maybe some sort of bullet for each one and I think left aligning them would look better than centered.

I think you are are off to a good start but overall it looks a little drab and unfinished to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems a little too bright to me, but maybe thats just my eyes acting up. Also, the 'Listen' button is extremely hard for me to read. I had no idea what it was until I looked harder.
    Travis Watkins - Hyperactive Coder
    My Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Alacarte - Gnome Menu Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for alle the replies.

I will set the background color to white, try to align the "menu-text" to the left and make the "Listen" text at the button bigger.

I designed the site to be bright, not too many dark colours. I bet that part worked out great :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Background changed to "White
    Text at the "listen" botton changed (bigger)
    I was not able to align the text, it looked weird

Other comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a nice simple design that does the job for me. If I was coming to your site for the content, I wouldn't be that fussed about the design, as long as it was easy to use and not nasty! Its clean, tidy and easy to read.

What I would do is define a different style for the search form from the directory table above it. Even making the form not so wide should help. Also, you could do with explaining what software is required for the individual radio stations. The reason I say this is because I can't play Real streams at work, whereas I can play Windows streams. Maybe some sort of icon could assist the user with this.

I was also left looking for a Home link down the left hand side...? I had to click the logo in the end to get back.

Apart from that, its a good site. I'd just recommend working on your content to give the site a bit more depth. I felt like it was still unfinished.
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tnx for the kind words

All stations are Windows streams, I will make that clear.
    Home link will be added.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the search style?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very kewl, concept. You need to fill it with more content.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

hi,
    site looks fantastic, great idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not a new idea, it have been done several times before. I just found it annoying with all theire banners and popups (and ugly design), so I desided to make a new one :P

I'm adding about 10 new stations everyday (only Windown Media castings)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A useful website, neat.

For the design: my only suggestion would be to make the design say "radio" or music a little bit. A photo of a radio, speaker or something similiar might help me understand what the site is all about as soon as it loads. Even just an speaker icon next to the "RadioLoad" text in your header.

For content: A sentence or two about each of the radio stations you are linking to would be a bonus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Toni:

I think the text to each radio station will be great. I will add it as a additional page tho (with the other info). Also I will try make it clear what the page is about (using a picture)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Site - I like the colors and simplicity of it.

I knew it was a site of radio stations when I read the text : Your source for online Radio Stations : maybee you would like to have thar tagline included in your header image ?

Also you might want to use some validation on the "add" pages, I sent some bogus ones to you when I was testing them out - sorry !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice site

I think the overall aspect of your website is nice but you could improve some part of it. The navigation menu is not very clear, you should try to change the heading's background to another color. There is no real difference of color between the background and the content of the page so it's not really easy to read. To top banner is nice and the logo comes out nicely.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple, functional and effective. Bet you're a database man at heart

Here's an idea: why not offer some form of user interaction and make the site sticky. Perhaps invite station reviews. Or maybe contact station managers and highlight the daily or weekly powerplay. Looks like you're going down the advertising path so these may help. Just a thought.

BTW, it's 404ing all over the place on the classic rock directory.

Good luck with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic Rock corrested.
    And it was my plan to add a "visitor review" and rating system when it gets more users.

Thanks for your reply

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice

I like the use of colours, it is easy on the eyes.
    Also i think the navigation is good- the fact that it is on the main page means that users can quickly choose what they want.

Also it has a good layout,

nice one,

9/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackasaur
    Also you might want to use some validation on the "add" pages, I sent some bogus ones to you when I was testing them out - sorry !
    hehe... I notice.
    I already have a validating system (a part of my admin module), so I need to accept every submition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I think it's a clean design you have going there. For some reason, the boxes on the life hand side, the menus, look original. As in they fit a contour? I don't know! Hang-over today.

Now, the top blue heading. I like what you've done there, not untypical of many newer designs. One thing I should suggest though is the usage of a globe. It's nice and it probably fits with what you are going for, but it's so common to see usage of globes and blue gradients it's not funny!

If it was me, I'd change it into a flying maple leaf.. But you're not me.. so if you take my suggestion seriously, maybe look for some other type of object like a radio tower emitting fake rays.. or stick people (j/k). I can't think of exactly what you should use, but I'd say a globe and blue gradient are just too common.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, and I like the design. I favor blueish designs if anyone hasnt noticed. The layout is easy to read and I think you can become a nice music hub if you get lots of stations listed.
    Good Luck
    Save Money Today We mail rebate checks to you. Save upto an additional 30% at online stores such as Overstock.com and OfficeDepot.com

www.yourwatch.net