Hi everybody...

Suppose I have a database that contains a concert schedule, with, among other things, the date for each concert (2001-03-01). I'm using PHP to display all concert dates that haven't already passed, in chronological order. What I want to do, however, is put the name of the month and the year prior to the first concert of each month. So it would look something like this:

FEBRUARY, 2001

- 02/24/01... <venue> <contact info>...
- 02/25/01... <venue> <contact info>...

MARCH, 2001

- 03/01/01... <venue> <contact info>...
- 03/10/01... <venue> <contact info>...

You get the idea. What's the best way to do this? I can think of one way to do it (but I'm guessing there's a better way): Create another table to store the month/year values and do a JOIN to connect the two tables. Then I could do a nested loop on a single query result to get something that looks like the above. Or, I suppose I could use PHP to convert the first date to the appropriate month/year and then check each subsequent date to see if it has the same month/year value. As soon as it doesn't have the same value, I would do a new paragraph, convert the new month/year, and start over.

1) Is there a way to do this that is better than both of these?
2) If not, which of these do you think is better, in terms of performance and other measures?

Thanks for any help. Have a great day...