SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to make a Palm version of some of my pages. I made a text based .htm file with no images and did a select all and pasted it into the Palm Desktop but it limits the memo to only 1,000 characters. Is it possible for the Palm to take in more than that? Maybe in another way than a memo? I would like the internet-disabled Palms to be able to view the information too. In other words, I'm trying to figure out a way that the Palm user uses his/her computer to copy and paste the page information into their Palm for later retrieval. Is there a specific format that Palm uses? What are the limitations? Please help. Thanks!
    Last edited by desiboyz; Feb 21, 2001 at 13:14.
    Noble Varughese
    President of DesiBoyz Network
    http://www.desiboyz.net

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

In the past when I've needed to create sites that will work for Palm, PocketPC, and Internet-enabled cellphones I would do the following:

- Create a link on your mainpage saying something like "You can now access [yoursitename.com] via your favorite wireless web device. Click for more info!"

- On this information page, tell them to use their cell phone or Palm's browser and point it to the location of your text-based HTML file. It is usually more "professional" to have it something like yoursitename.com/wireless or even better, mobile.yoursitename.com

- Make the text-based HTML page with "standard" sized text. No colors or graphics. No dynamic elements, just basic HTML. It should look fine for most browsers. Keep it under a certain limit, 10k at the most [?!]

Good luck, hope that helps. I don't know how to do the offline browsing thing that you want help on though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help but I am looking for a way that the Palm users can download the information without actually going on the Internet on the Palm. The method you introduced will only allow internet-enabled Palms to view the information. I would like every Palm to be able to view it. Also, I'm focusing more on the Palm than other hand helds. Thanks.
    Last edited by desiboyz; Feb 21, 2001 at 13:16.
    Noble Varughese

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in creating web pages for PD's.

I don't know much about it.

Any good web resources I can use to explore and learn about it?
    Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Palm IIIx, and the format for most palm documents is the .doc format. There is a program which I just downloaded, called "QuickWord", which will allow you do take regular MSWord 97/2000 docs and convert them to Palm docs. So, if you feel like 'nagging' your users to download this one program (it's free, of course, at tucows.com), then all you need to do is create an MSWord document. There are also other doc readers / writers out there. A few Popular ones are QED, CSpotRun, and the ever popular RichReader (which will actually read HTML files to the exten of bold, italics, underline, and alignment).

Hope this helps! Need any other info? Just post here.

Peace.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a program which I just downloaded, called "QuickWord", which will allow you do take regular MSWord 97/2000 docs and convert them to Palm docs.
    Do you mean that it enables Palms to read Word produced .doc files or does it actually "convert" them. If it converts them, it occurs to me that it is just desiboyz who needs to download it, convert his word docs, whack them on his server and add a couple of links.........

H
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Feb 21, 2001 at 03:37.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about those AvantGo channels? I was under the impression that that was how you put webpages on Palm, Pocket PC and mobile phones(There's WAP for phones too).

I too am intersted in offering a Palm/PPC version of my website. I was reading over AvantGo's website(www.avantgo.com) and it seems fairly strait forward.

From what I understand you just have to make a small (I don't know the size limit) stripped down html version of your site and then sign up as a "Content Partner" (free) and then poeple with AvantGo can simply download your pages to thier computer and then syncronize it to their portable assistants.

AvantGo has a good step-by-step tutorial on how to setup and later publicize your wireless site at www.avantgo.com/developer/web/documentation.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how do the Palm users get the converted .doc file into their Palm? Do they need additional software to do so? Also, is there a character limit in the .doc files?
    Noble Varughese

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH

Do you mean that it enables Palms to read Word produced .doc files or does it actually "convert" them?
    Actually, it does both. You download the program, and any word document. Then, you run QuickWord and choose 'add a document' you point it to that location. You can link to the document or actually create a copy for QuickWord. I'm not completely sure.

And besides, if QuickWord isn't ideal, I have a .doc conversion utility sitting on my hard drive right now .. It only converts from NotePad, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by desiboyz
    So how do the Palm users get the converted .doc file into their Palm? Do they need additional software to do so? Also, is there a character limit in the .doc files?
    The palm users simply do a HotSync. The documents are already transferred. QuickWord also installs itself on the User's palm for easy reading of the documents. There's no character limit on .doc files, as far as I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was I really that off with AvantGo?!? I was so sure that that was the way to go for both web-enabled and non-web-enabled Palms and Pocket PCs.

Did anyone look over AvantGo? The doc converter seems ok for documents, but those aren't really websites...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Dominique. I think AvantGo is the best way to accomplish this. All you need is a text version of your site. Once this text version of your site is created AvantGo does everything else for you. Easy as pie if you ask me.