User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check availability & rates script?

Hello,

I'm building websites for 2 private charter yachts, both travel between the Caribbean and Europe and are available on the charter market.

Basically, they have varying rates for between 2 and 10 guests, summer and winter rates, periods of not being available, etc. What I would like to do is allow a potential customer to select a desired date range to charter the boat, select number of guests and region. The results can either be 'available' for this amount, or 'not available', allowing the customer to perfrom another search.

This information can easily be put into a table, but here are my questions:

1. How do I format the table(s), i.e dates and date ranges,
    2. Do I use Access or MySQL? (I have both),
    3. How do I get started?

You can tell I'm new at this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I'm going to move this to the Databases forum... You'll definately want to use a combination of a database and some programming language (PHP, ASP, etc.)

As for the database design... you would want several different tables: Regions, Availability, Rates, etc. I'd probably need to get some more information about how the rates would be calculated. For instance, is there a mathematical relationship between the number of people and the price (i.e. does it add $10 or 10% per person, etc.)

The date ranges shouldn't be too difficult... you could go about it several different ways. You could have a table for dates with a field for the beginning date and end date, which rate (winter,summer) and availability (available or not). Rates and availability would pull from their respective tables.

Then the query on the website would just display some info from the DB... you could perform some basic calculations to determine price IF there is a correlation between number of passengers, date ranges and season.