SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

adsense rates change through the month?

Hi there,

Do you see a big change through the month, in your revenue per click with adsense? Lets say on the beginning of the month X$ per click and till the end it may reach X$/10 per click (and even worse).

I know it's connected with advertiser's campaign and stuff but does the differences per click are so big? Or it's only on my sites?
    Compare Hundreds of Web Hosting Plans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its just a coincidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're dealing with smaller amounts of pageviews, a single 'lucky' click on a highpaying ad can make a significant impact on your stats that day. In that case it's just coincidence like j0n said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are saying, if no changes were made during a certain month, the average CPC should stay the same and no decrease in revenue should appear. But what about advertisers bids and campaigns? Doesn't it influence CPC rates?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how much advertisers are paying for those keywords at that time.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertisers change their bids constantly, I never found any immediate connection between the time of month and bid amounts, though some relation may exist in relation to monthly budgets. This is probably just a coincidence.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly and of course just as some industries are seasonal so are some seasonal within months and weeks (i.e. trends to spend more or less and the start, mid-way-through or the end of the month), not to mention quarters. You would not expect many winter sports manufacturers to advertise during the summer months would you

Regardless that is also the product of a advertising model which allows you to bid on keywords with those bids affecting the results in semi-real-time. Random high paying clicks as someone mentioned can appear to wildly fluctuate you average CPC, and not just on low impression sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same ads all week. I started out at almost 7 dollars now I am at 19 cents...my click throughs the same...my traffic fairly consistant. It has been going down every day....litttle by little by little. The thing I like about Fastclick is that I get to shut down any really low paying advertisers...out of principle. This makes me want to toss adsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,

I hope I would "really" understand how AdSense work someday

Sometimes I feel I know everything, and right after this when I look at the statistics I feel I know nothing

Well I guess I just have to keep learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith
    I have the same ads all week. I started out at almost 7 dollars now I am at 19 cents...my click throughs the same...my traffic fairly consistant. It has been going down every day....litttle by little by little. The thing I like about Fastclick is that I get to shut down any really low paying advertisers...out of principle. This makes me want to toss adsense.
    This is exactly how I feel. However my CPC rates changes much more drastically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Base on my observation CPC rates changes through out the month. It depends on the advertiser's inventory. If he feels to decrease it everyday he can do so.

SitePoint Enthusiast Dating Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fuctuation in rates corresponds with ad reps doing what they are paid to do which is to maximize their ad dollars. In order to do this correctly, you also need to take into account what viewers are currently searching for and make adjustments in as close to real time as you can get. This is where the rate fluctuation comes in with these reps with $xxx,xxx accounts making adjustments to fit the market. You may see the same advertiser but you may want to consider the size of their ad budget and their ability to affect overall rates.
    Sig removed because my dating site is no longer mainstream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webhosting ads are now paying much less than before, I am not seeing high rates since the 10th of the last month. Some of the high paying advertisers do come but he have breif stay and then vanish for long times. This affects the earnings as they became 60% or more lower. In some good days when the advertisers stay longer (have bigger daily budget) the earnings improve but generally the earnings started to be way too poor.

Even mesothelioma CPC costs much lower than a year ago, Advertisers maybe waiting for Christmas to offer some promotions and hence they increase their daily spendings hopefully.

The problem is that CPC earnings differ from CPM, they always fluctuate alot as they depend on many factors, Ad relevance, Ad placement, traffic, % of new visitors and so on.

SitePoint Evangelist downloads_be's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I look at my average CPC over the last 6 months it dropped 30%
    CPM also dropped but far less significant

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My average CPC stays about the same throughout the month, with it tailing off slightly towards the end of the month (by about 20%).

Nevertheless, each click varies massively, some clicks on the same day are worth 10 or even 15 times more than others. The average isn't really affected though.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adsense can be a real roller coaster sometimes in term of CPC. Haven't noticed any changes in certain times of the month. I told you Google was a man and not a woman (referring to an old thread about the gender of Google).
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker