SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepeasy
    Anyway, if I was you I'd register my project at Sourceforge and BerliOS.
    I surely will!

Even if you don't use any of Sourceforges services it will stop someone coming along and starting a project with the same name as yours.
    Good point , thanks!

(LIMB is a cool name BTW)
    Do you know it what it stands for? Lithesome Interactive Media Builder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pachanga
    I surely will!

Good point , thanks!

Do you know it what it stands for? Lithesome Interactive Media Builder
    I didn't, but now that I do "LIMB" is even cooler

Lithesome is such a great word.
    Always open to question or ridicule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little Review

Just installed limb and played around with it a bit.. I love the idea of having everything as an object ...

Looks like this is going to be a nice cms after it is finished...

Suggestions:
    1. Currently right now I can't see an way to disable unwanted modules.. might want to include that.

2. I know that this is pre-alpha stuff however performance is really really bad.. Normal page loads are topping the server cpu at 50-70% .. and that's WITH caching enabled!!

3. The mod_rewrite and shared project directory has to be re-worked .. not good having to use http://yourdomain/root/ to access everything...

4. Pretty big difference with browsers .. limb was really designed for IE.. none of the neat rollover stuff works in firebird... or the wysiwyg editor for that matter..

That's just my two cents ... If you can work out some of this stuff.. it's going to be pretty sweet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcele
    1. Currently right now I can't see an way to disable unwanted modules.. might want to include that.
    I admit there's no easy way(i mean GUI way ) to get rid of unwanted modules, that's why we're working on packages metaphor(you can find it on SF in the RFE section) - this should greatly simplify the process of installing/uninstalling/developing new modules.

2. I know that this is pre-alpha stuff however performance is really really bad.. Normal page loads are topping the server cpu at 50-70% .. and that's WITH caching enabled!!
    Well it's a well-known problem... The LIMB class hierarchy is huge - it's a kill for PHP to parse it every time. We strongly recommend using some sort of accelerator or cache. We admit some optimization(like lazy class loading) can be done yet we don't expect a great speed-up. We also hope that PHP5's new object model will make our life a bit easier...
    In fact, LIMB requires some hardware to perform fast, it's not positioned as a lightweight home solution...
    BTW, you can see what really eats your CPU - insert the following line into your setup_custom.php:
    define('DEBUG_CONSOLE_ENABLED', true);

3. The mod_rewrite and shared project directory has to be re-worked .. not good having to use http://yourdomain/root/ to access everything...
    It's currently being solved, seems like people feel a bit annoyed with /root
    Never been fan of mod_rewrite quirks though...

4. Pretty big difference with browsers .. limb was really designed for IE.. none of the neat rollover stuff works in firebird... or the wysiwyg editor for that matter..
    Accessibility is a key problem for us. We installed firebird, opera etc - it's going to take some time to make a browser-independent GUI(at least for the major browsers)....

That's just my two cents ... If you can work out some of this stuff.. it's going to be pretty sweet!
    Thank you so much! Feedback is priceless for developers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've finally got the remoted SVN repositiry at http://www.berlios.de. Go grab subversion at http://subversion.tigris.org/ and browse the LIMB source!

This project SVN repository can be checked out through anonymous connection:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/limb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

LIMB is alive and kicking - we've finally managed to setup the LIMB support site.

It's still being filled with content yet the documentation part is almost ready...

Your feedback is welcomed!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

LIMB is alive and kicking - we've finally managed to setup the LIMB support site.

It's still being filled with content yet the documentation part is almost ready...

Your feedback is welcomed!
    This is really cool. I have checked out a number of the CMS options out there and none of them have made me "get it" quite as quickly as yours. Congratulations. I am looking forward to seeing the progression. The only nagging thing that I see is that the solution is dead in the water on all the Mac browsers I checked it with. I gave you detailed feedback from the demo site. Good luck!
    hatred bounces.
    -ee cummings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wotiva
    This is really cool. I have checked out a number of the CMS options out there and none of them have made me "get it" quite as quickly as yours. Congratulations. I am looking forward to seeing the progression. The only nagging thing that I see is that the solution is dead in the water on all the Mac browsers I checked it with. I gave you detailed feedback from the demo site. Good luck!
    Thank you, your feedback is very helpful! You can also subscribe to one of the LIMB mailing lists and post your feedback there too, this is the best way to get our immediate response.

does not play well with others frezno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my project at BerliOS before and switched to SF.
    BerliOS is a SF clone (i.e. they use their scripts) but are lacking behind and (at least at time i've been there) their support sucked hard.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
    I'm Pentium of Borg.Division is futile.Prepare to be approximated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...if only SF had subversion support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case someone is interested in LIMB solutions: 2.2 version has been released.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.2 already? Must be something really wrong with 1.0 then..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captin Proton.. I think they broke a lot of Backwards Compatability with the new release. But lol.. yea, that was funny anyhow.. ; )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, i know it sounds a bit confusing, just let me explain: LIMB has been developed for more than 1.5 years and we already had 1.0 version a long time ago, just we didn't want to release it just because we really felt unhappy about it

At the moment of my first posting to SitePoint about LIMB it had 2.1 internal index, so there's nothing really amazing about 2.2.

By no means we wanted to make any hype with 2.2, sorry if sounded just like that.

And yeah, we broke BC since there're not so many people using LIMB and nobody got hurt, while it allowed to substantially improve the internal architecture.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just kidding. Keep up the good work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's no problem Anyway i'll put this into the LIMB FAQ a bit later because it's really confusing

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pachanga I'm interested in contributing to LIMB. How would I go about doing so?

Thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Resolution
    Pachanga I'm interested in contributing to LIMB. How would I go about doing so?

Thx
    Great! We can discuss it in detail either in the LIMB forum or in the dev mailing list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that this is pre-alpha stuff however performance is really really bad.. Normal page loads are topping the server cpu at 50-70% .. and that's WITH caching enabled!!
    Could you give details about the computer? It's frightening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, let me be frank, it's really not a speedster yet
    And believe me we're doing our best to fix that and with 2.2 some speed issues were resolved.

However there's always a price you have to pay for flexibility and neat features like JIP... Furthermore there's a nice discussion on this topic http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173485...

BUT! LIMB can be customized, especially via full page caching technique and some other tricks. It's not that frightening

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm..it's strange...richedit should fallback gracefully on the unsupported platforms. That's why we need developers help! We're "windows" guys...yet linux support is the primary task!
    Anyways we're planning to make a simpler version with wiki tags support or something alike.
    have you checked out Kupu editor: http://kupu.oscom.org/

This works in both IE and Mozilla.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heathd
    have you checked out Kupu editor: http://kupu.oscom.org/

This works in both IE and Mozilla.

Dave
    I'll definitely have a closer look, thanks! If it's flexible and pluggable enough, i'll give it a try.

However the idea of using some sort of the java applet richedit or a flash based one is winning upon me...

Can anyone recommend anything similar to editize available as Open Source, please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcele
    With LIMB 2.2.2 we have resolved many browsers issues, check it out please. At the moment LIMB should work smooth both in IE and Gecko based browsers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php5 compliant?

With LIMB 2.2.2 we have resolved many browsers issues, check it out please. At the moment LIMB should work smooth both in IE and Gecko based browsers...
    Is this new version ready for php5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry not yet We hope to make it php5 compatible in 2.3 something release...