SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compaq Presario 2500 loudest fan in the world!

Does anyone here have a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop? The fan is SO freaking loud on this computer. Anyone know how to fix it? I've heard rumours of a BIOS update, but can't seem to find the correct one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it loud because it's operating at the upper range of it's speed; is it old (which would indicate that the bearings are probably wearing out, in which case the fans can get very loud).
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fairly new, I think it's a 2.6 Ghz. It's always been loud regardless of what I am doing on the machine. I can be doing nothing and it's loud. The CPU is idling just fine to.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entirely possible the fan management isn't kicking in. We had that on a server recently (Compaq as well) and so it was going at 100% speed all the time. For most machines, 20% is enough.

If you want loud fans, get an IBM BladeCenter. They aren't allowed to technically call them "fans" because they generate so much power. So, there's 4 "blowers".

We turned the machine on, turned off the power management and stood behind it. Our pants were up to our knees in seconds.

And LOUD
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Compaq Presario 700 and you can definitely hear the sound of the fan. It's a bit noisy, but not something that bothers me, really.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old Compaq Presario 7360 that is almost silent. I just recently built a new PC with four fans in it. It's so loud, I think it is going to do something bad to my hearing.
    Arson-Network.org
    Over 350+ computer security and programming tutorials.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update, I located the BIOS update for the Compaq 2500 laptop. It's located here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...tem=hb-18579-1

FIXES:
    • Fixes issues where keys were intermittently unusable.
    • Fixes an issue that would occur when the notebook was shut down by holding the power button down for 4 seconds. The next time the notebook was turned on, it would start up with the display panel brightness set for DC power even when it was plugged in to AC power.
    • Fixes an issue where Printer port mode could be changed even with user password enabled.
    • Fixes issue where Fn-F5 had to be pressed twice the first time to switch to the external monitor.
    • Fixes issue where Cisco smart card reader caused system to lock up.
    • Under Microsoft Windows 2000, fixes issue where system locked up when switching display between notebook display panel and external monitor.
    • Fixes issue where fan would run at full speed after the system resumed from Standby

It doesn't specifically mention quieting the normal fan, but it does. That is what threw me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so did the bios upgrade work?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did quiet the fan, but it is still quite a bit louder than most laptops. I also noticed it dims the screen brightness even more when running on battery power.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Compaq Presario 2114EA and the fan is very noisy. Comments above suggest updating BIOS for other Compaq laptops, but the HP website BIOS updates for my machine don't mention the fan.

Any suggestions re fixing the fan problem on my machine?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BIOS update I ran only mentioned the fan resumes full-speed after standby mode. However that wasn't the problem I was having. My fan ran full-speed all the time, and this BIOS update DID fix it, even though it doesn't state it in the fixes. Give it a shot.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two 2538s with different problems...

I have the same problem. Actually, I am on my 2nd 2538 and 3rd Compaq laptop with fan/heating issues.

I had a 1500 that started to REALLY overheat in about the 9th month. Took Compaq 3 repair attempts over 4 moths. Corparate Customer Satisfaction finally agreed to send a new computer, a 2538, which was a nice upgrade to my older P4 1.6 computer.

BUT, what was actually IN the computer was a 2.8g wtih 80gb drive...the paperwork AND box indicated a 2.66 with 60gb.

NICE! Problem is, I thought it had heating problems and video...well, I KNEW it had video problems.

So, Compaq sent me another 2538. This time, it is the right thing in the box, 2.66 with 60gb. I have 69gb of stuff on the other laptop that it was to replace!

AND!!! 1) The fan is NOISERY on the "new" one, like a LOT. 2) The video was DEFINATELY problematic on the other "older" one.

Question is:

Can I swap out the CPU form the "OLDER" unit and put it in the newer one????

BTW, I have tried to apply the bio to the "newer" one and it would not accept it for this 2538?!?! Also, I have swaped the drives around in and out, no problems putting the 80gb in the "newer" computer.

So, I just need to see if I can swap the CPU...although, the fan is still significantly louder...so maybe I should just deal with the monitor fluke?

The problem with the monitor is with the output. I ALWAYS have an external monitor hooked up. If the computer "sleeps" the monitor (built-in and external) then when I wake it up, the external monitor is gone. I have to suspend the monitor, then wake it back up. As long as I suspend the computer, the external monitor works every time. If I forget, and walk away, when I come back, I STILL have go through the steps of suspend/wake up, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
    Drew

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two bios type things out there. If you install one, you cannot install the other one using the winflash utility. (As far as I know, they both seem to work... at least on my system -- Presario 2500 CTO) Instead, you have to use the bottable diskette to flash the bios. (I think one is called a rompaq and the other is called the bios update; one begins KF and the other KH... i think I am too lazy to go back to the compaq qebsite to check).

As far as the computer being too loud. Yeah it sucks. I heard that the reason it is so loud is that it uses a Desktop processor rather than a mobile Pentium 4. That is also why you cannot use speedstep or a program to slow down the processor to get rid of the fan noise. Speedstep can only be used on the mobile p4.

I heard that there are 3rd party utilities that you can use to underclock a processor. I have tried a few of them and I did not think they worked at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness I found this thread. I have a Presario 2529CL that I got at Costco just because it was a good deal. But the last three months I have been having the time of my life trying to get this thing working right. My problem was that after a few hours of use or just leaving it on, the screen would go blank and the computer would lock up and be nonresponsive (I would have to hold down the power button to turn it off).

I talked to the Compaq/HP-in-disguise guys and they told me to change my Power Options blah blah about 50 times. But this one Compaq guy was actually helpful and pointed me to some BIOS upgrades. I was like, what is this? Even though the BIOS verisons he pointed me to were not for my computer, it got my thinking, maybe it was a BIOS problem. So a quick search into google found this thread!!! I DLed the upgrade mentioned in earlier posts and... it worked perfectly. No more dead computer, and it also got rid of that LOUD ANNOYING FAN! To all who find this thread, this BIOS upgrade does fix any heating/power/fan issues you have, no matter what your presario model (as long as it is 2500). It said it was for 2525, but i used it on mine and it worked fine.

Thanks to all you guys who figured out this problem/ just found the BIOS upgrade!

<?php echo"GiroPets"; ?> giropets's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, if you want to talk about loud, then my Compaq ProLiant 800 Server should outbeat all these. I know it's a server, it has like 6 fans in it, but what else can I say...

Edit :
    Two (Dual) Intel Pentium 3 Processors @ 500 MHz (Each)
    Windows 2000 Professional
    320 MB of RAM
    CD-Rom Drive
    Floppy Drive
    Tape Drive
    ZIP Drive
    ..And some other goodies too..
    GiroPets.net - Virtual Petsite

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried downloading the update for my 2529ea but it says it is not compatible with my notebook. Just wondering if you knew of anything I can do to get my fans working properly?

I spoke to a support technician from HP/Compaq and he pointed me to a bios update which was for my laptop but then told me not to download it because it might cause boot issues

Any help you have would be great
    Thanks in advance