User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorting menu-items

Hi.

I am working on a creating a small CMS at the moment.
    I have one table that is containing all menu-items, so that the users can build the menu-items themselves by entering "Title" and "Url-location".
    Now I want the users to be able to decide in which order the menu-items are sorted. I guess this is done by adding another integer-field to the menu-table and then sort the menu-items by this field.
    But my question is, how to make a form where the users are able to decide the sorting-order by pressing two input-buttons either "Up" or "Down" and then the sorting-field is updated accordingly?

Thx in advance. All suggestions are appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you will need to use javascript as the sorting method, and then PHP to update those values in the database.

I mean, those up and down buttons should "play" with local variables (maybe hidden fields) and the user interface could be a multiple select box.

Once the user has finished sorting the menu items, you should end up with something like this:

menuitem[1]=6
    menuitem[2]=2
    menuitem[3]=1
    menuitem[4]=3
    menuitem[5]=4
    menuitem[6]=5

where the original [index] is actually the row ID for that menu item in mysql, and the value is the order as the user defined it with those up and down buttons.

When submitted, you could "foreach" that array and update your menu items in the database, like this:

PHP Code:
    foreach ($_POST["menuitem"] as $mi_k=>$mi_v) {

mysql_query("update menus set sortorder=".$mi_v." where id=".$mi_k);

Well this is just my opinion on how to do it, now you could ask in the javascript forum for the rest of the recipe.

;-)