User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

the site I wanted to be reviewed is:
    AC Milan Online

I especially want to hear about the load time.
    And of course about the other design related issues.

Best regards,
    David.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited for formatting

Bucur,I believe we can help you out.

Review Specs: DSL Connection, 933 Mhz PIII, 19" monitor, 1024x768 Resolution.

The first thing I noticed when visiting the page, of course, was the pop-up. Tripod is certainly NOT the idea hosting solution. I recommend that you get another one immeadiately.

Also, another first impression: Red backgrounds are nice and all, but on my screen with my resolution I see white space bordering your red (not an ideal setup, looks quite..bad). Were you just designing for the lower end on this one, or is it truly something that needs fixing?

The menu on the left seems very nice.

On the main page, why use the "::|---------------------------------------------------|::" border when there's only white space between that and the next heading? Save yourself some wasted space. do away with it and go straight to the next heading.

Also, I would suggest a different font. Perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste, but I feel that that font is a little biut crowded / hard to read (and I have 20/20 vision).

I would also suggest formatting the 'dated' updates better. Perhaps a bold for the date and then a dash, i.e '18|02 - your text goes here.'

Other than that, I don't see too much. Definitely lose the Tripod, though.

Good luck with your site!
    Last edited by goober; Feb 20, 2001 at 21:00.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Welcome, I hope you find this review and the others that follow of use in the development process. Thanks for the work you did on the reviews.

I have changed my equipment just a bit to add a Netscape 4.08 browser (in addition to the IE 5.5).

From the menu there apears to be a lot of informaiton in the site. So what I will do is work the menu striaight forward, with some side steps and comment on everything I find.

First, a look at the main page. I assume the team colors are black and red. Nice treatment. I like all the items on the top menu. I like the valign for the top of the menu, welcome to ...., and ::|the poll... Small detail but very nice. The use of the::|....|:: around some of the headers and not all, might be better if it were all or none. Follow through with the left justify for the vote for us and the paragraph On the other side,..........

News. Two problems, two suggestions, either may do the trick. The col is too wide for the font size. Consider changing to 2 cols (shorter cols is often used in newsprint to allow the reader to scan faster) or changing back to the larger font.
    One other small thing is to provide a small horizontal break between the margin and the text.

I have gone through all the other buttons and do not find any additional problems, but some repeats of the ones mentioned.

NN
    The text in the welcome statement is now pushed to the left border, this was not true in IE. In NN the font size on the news page is quite good, unlike the smaller on IE. The left margin is still jammed.

Thanks it is a good looking site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it a lot. I would say its almost too busy(too much information) My eyes can't think of anyplace to go. They just get overloaded and I get the urge to close the page. It well layed out though myabe less of <quote>::|---------------------------------------------------|:/quote> would be good. It opens the deisng up a little more. In addition to that Red is a painful color to most peoples eyes. Of course those are the team colors so you may have to ignore that comment.Brian Wilmothttp://www.jumpnow.net/<anti sig file - Whats the next typing mistake gonna be>
    Brian Wilmot
    http://www.jumpnow.net/
    http://www.uglybillboards.com/

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work. Powerfull colors, the red perhaps a shade to bright for my prefrence. The large space just below the logo at top ... that for a banner? Looked a litte odd there, though if your planning an ad banner there probably appropriate.I agree with the comment about the server host, while it didnt load to slow on my cable I've seen lots of tripod accounts that are very slow even for my cable.Whats with the tracker icong up top right? Look very out of place and steals real estate, if you must have a tracker bury it someplace way down below everything else Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded fast on my cable modem. Just wondering how come you football guys don't give me any action shots on the home page. I want to see someone blasting one by the keeper. Or a least the celebration afterwards.
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the hosting:I will change it soon, I hope. (i have some plans that could probably be materialized in the next weeks)The reason I use the Tripod account is that I wasn't allowed by my budget to support both the hosting and the domain.About the ::|---------|:: stuff, many of my visitors love it, so I'll keep it. But I'll probably delete the bottom most one.About the colors: the club color is a darker red, #CC0000, and not ##FF0000 hopefully. And that's the best I can use.Myros: about the space after the site logo. Actually, there is a Iclicks banner there, but it has got javascript code, so I think if the image can't load, they show nothing.About the right counter: I'll probably move it, but not too soon. I'll move it once I get myself a domain.About too many information: in my oppinion, that's a good thing. You should really see my competitors. Just type 'ac milan' on one of the search engines.About the font size at the News and Games section: I used that so that the page won't look too long. And it is verdana. If I set it to arial or the default font, then it looks more confusing. Anyone caan suggest me a font that looks readable at size="1" ?About the browser incompatibilities: I tested my site in NS 4.72, IE 5.0+ and NS 6.0 and haven't seen too many bugs. But I'll se what I can do about those. I saw some sites in my branch (soccer) that say: "If you use Netscape, then get a life!"Digitetal: probably because the pictures are copyrighted. For some pics: http://members.tripod.com/dav2k/pics.htmlSoccer pics:http:/www.dailysoccer.com - a Reuters companyhttp://www.acmilan.com - ACM official site.And have anyone from here heard about AC Milan before - the North Americans? Because AC Milan is a very well known and famous team in the world.Best regards,David.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

It is really wonderful that you have thought these things through.

One item that you mention is that you may be able to move to another hosting service in the future. When that is possible, one thing might be to make sure that host offers php and mysql. My comment about the news font and your reply about the length of the page could be resolved with those applications.

There is a tutorial by Kevin Yank on Site Point that will provide enough information to get most of the site around to a db managed system. Then you can clip the leads to the stories and route to the complete text. All kinds of stuff.

This is just a thought, not a negative comment about the site, which I repeat....It looks great.

thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know about Kevin's tutorial, and I am still in the process of learning it.I currently have some php & mysql web space to test my novice php files on the account at my high school.Best regards,David.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know off-topic but he asked.Yeah I've heard about AC Milan. I'm another American with a little place for Manchester in England though. If only we could get them televised on normal channels, not the premium premium chnnels.About the site again. I looked at it again. The ::| doesn't bug me that much anymore. I also second the comment, give me some soccer pictures on the cover. I wanna see some action. On your news page increase the padding a little around the news cell. the text is colliding with the border.Otherwise its a very clean site. Go Man U.
    Brian Wilmot
    http://www.jumpnow.net/
    http://www.uglybillboards.com/

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright.. i can see that the boxes with the header/footer borders around them are different colors than the actual background (after squinting, that is) .. possibly make the primary background darker (bright red isnt easy on the eyes, as people have pointed out) ... a darker marooonish color would be better (in my opinion) .. personally, i like the header and footer touch you have going there (reminds me of the stuff i do sometimes to my sites, but thats because i used to like ASCII art) .. you might want to make the poll thing the same color as the rest of the boxes ..

as for loading time ... 2 seconds counting, 1 mbit DSL, IE 5.5, Winblowz ME ... i'm just going to ignore the tripod ad, it took longer.. i dont think you have much to worry about loading time, its good.. you havent done any "bad heavy graphics" stuff

alrighty, i'm out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice use of navigation here, very good job!I do ahve aproblem with the bright red's though. In your logo, the red looks fine, becuase it accented by black, but below that everything is red, maybe you could add some borders or something to take away from the brightness : ) As mentioned before,::|---------------------------------------------------|::these should be taken out, gi right to your next heading, ti will be alot better..
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice use of navigation here, very good job!I do ahve aproblem with the bright red's though. In your logo, the red looks fine, becuase it accented by black, but below that everything is red, maybe you could add some borders or something to take away from the brightness : ) As mentioned before,::|---------------------------------------------------|::these should be taken out, gi right to your next heading, ti will be alot better..At the bottom you have a little html error "<span class"
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grandmaster,NOTE: You could have just edited your post instead of posting a completely new thread.To do this, simply click on the 'edit' button above your post.Hope this helps for future reference.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)