SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please review reworking of site------ josharonoff.com

Hello. I took a lot of people's suggestions into accoutn and revised my site accordingly. I have trouble with cqi forms, I want to put one on the contact area. If someone could help me with that. Also if you could, please look at the site, if you reviewed, or if you haven't please give me some constructive criticism. I am not that good of a writer, as I thought I was, if you have any suggestions regarding the copy, I would appreciate it as well. thanks!

www.josharonoff.com

josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh . I hope you find my review helpful!

I am using IE6 on Windows XP home version. I used high speed internet to view your site.

The site loaded up quickly, and my initial reaction was that it is a good looking and clean looking site. The first thing I did was to look at the picture of the SCUBA diver, followed by reading the text starting with "Welcome to Josh Aronoff.com." I clicked on services and read the page. I then clicked Portfolio, I clicked the icon "Ampersand Call for Entries Poster One."

I think the VER 2.0 icon in the upper right looks a bit cheesy.
    Dahmian Owen

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site, I really do! But that's not what you are here for.

I'm not very good at copywriting either but I think we can come up with something better than this:

Your Opening Statement: "Welcome to Josh Aronoff.com. I'm looking forward to starting a career in Pittsburgh, PA in graphic design. I am knowledgeable in print media, as well as the web. If you are looking for someone to update your web site, or make a web site for you, you have come to the right place."

This doesn't really grab me.

It's plain, blah and kind of boring (sorry don't mean to be too hard on you). You might try giving people reasons why they should hire you and not the other guy.

It's like people don't care where your started you career or how you got started - You see that doesn't help to solve their problem. And that's what it is really all about - solving peoples problems!

And sure your knowledgable, but what is it that make you unique? And how is you being good at print design going to help me to have a better website?

At this point people are wondering if they have come to the right place. Telling them that they have isn't going to make them feel any more confident in your service.

Please forgive me if I am being too hard on you. I really just want to help and I hope I have. Like I said, I'm not very good at copywriting either, so feel free to come down on me if it makes you feel any better.

I do wish you the best of luck and let me know if you need any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dahmian
    Hi Josh . I hope you find my review helpful!

I am using IE6 on Windows XP home version. I used high speed internet to view your site.

The site loaded up quickly, and my initial reaction was that it is a good looking and clean looking site. The first thing I did was to look at the picture of the SCUBA diver, followed by reading the text starting with "Welcome to Josh Aronoff.com." I clicked on services and read the page. I then clicked Portfolio, I clicked the icon "Ampersand Call for Entries Poster One."

I think the VER 2.0 icon in the upper right looks a bit cheesy.
    THANKS for checking it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impressions
    I like the site, I really do! But that's not what you are here for.

I'm not very good at copywriting either but I think we can come up with something better than this:

Your Opening Statement: "Welcome to Josh Aronoff.com. I'm looking forward to starting a career in Pittsburgh, PA in graphic design. I am knowledgeable in print media, as well as the web. If you are looking for someone to update your web site, or make a web site for you, you have come to the right place."

This doesn't really grab me.

It's plain, blah and kind of boring (sorry don't mean to be too hard on you). You might try giving people reasons why they should hire you and not the other guy.

It's like people don't care where your started you career or how you got started - You see that doesn't help to solve their problem. And that's what it is really all about - solving peoples problems!

And sure your knowledgable, but what is it that make you unique? And how is you being good at print design going to help me to have a better website?

At this point people are wondering if they have come to the right place. Telling them that they have isn't going to make them feel any more confident in your service.

Please forgive me if I am being too hard on you. I really just want to help and I hope I have. Like I said, I'm not very good at copywriting either, so feel free to come down on me if it makes you feel any better.

I do wish you the best of luck and let me know if you need any help.
    You aren't being too harsh.. I am looking for some criticism, and I know that that bit of writing is weak.. You've given me some good jumping off point to work with, and I will upload something today or tomorrow.

josh

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design overall ... if I had one criticism, it would be that it looks a little too much like a personal blog. Also, I am not a fan of the scubadiving picture on the front page, it seems out of place, I think a clearer portrait kind of photo would be better. Other than that, looks good to me.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The banner on top seems pointless to me...

Not only does it change for no particular reason, it doesn't contain any text. Pretty much a hole in the design IMO,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    The banner on top seems pointless to me...

Not only does it change for no particular reason, it doesn't contain any text. Pretty much a hole in the design IMO,
    I would have to disagree with you, not only do design elements not have to contain text to be a design element, but they don't even have to be of anything important. however, everything in the design should facilitate the design itself.

josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a step above version 1 which was basically a header and then content so it is a little more "professional" appearing.

Your content area is not as wide as the header which looks quite odd in this design style.

The hover effects I think are cheesy, but that is a subjective issue. You are still doing them in graphics which are not necessary if you use CSS which would tremendously eliminate a ton of extraneous code you have and reducing file size and load time.

Same thing with content headers. There are plenty of articles on sitepoint to help get you started with CSS.

I would elminate things from your portfolio, such as the Dawn of the Dead. That would tend to turn off most potential clients. Do some pro bono work in your area for some thing you believe in to get some web, Flash, etc. items in your portfolio as well as some valuable real world design experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I revisted http://www.josharonoff.com/2004/services.html page.

Once I read the text, I did try to click the "print design" text hoping that I could see specific examples of your print work.

I check your site with http://www.danvine.com/iecapture/ and http://www.danvine.com/icapture and it looked fine on all the browsers.
    Dahmian Owen

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe on the

http://www.josharonoff.com/2004/portfolio.html

the text image that appears on the right should be an html block indead...help with SEO, and make it a wee bit faster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webmorpheus
    maybe on the

http://www.josharonoff.com/2004/portfolio.html

the text image that appears on the right should be an html block indead...help with SEO, and make it a wee bit faster
    how would I code something like that to show up in the same area as the text. I know how to make swap images.... but how do you do it with html text??
    I think it's a good idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can do that with html and css, no javascript needed
    If you need some sample code, just ask

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would like to see it done with HTML and CSS, I can do rollover images with CSS, but not html blocks..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here you go webmorpheus. Disjointed rollovers with html and css.

http://www.egor-k.com/temp/example/