User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new tableless design site

Hello all,

We're currently pretty close to launching a redesigned version of our website. For this one, we're going tableless and xhtml 1.0 strict.

We have a few slight variations on our header images, so I'd like opinions on which is the best. We're not exactly all about the header images we have up there now, so if anyone has another idea of what could be done, I'd really appreciate it.

I think we're having a weird stylesheet issue (to do with the style switcher) which causes some weird reactions the first time you load the page i.e., the default stylesheet does not load properly and you view an unstyled page until you click on one of the colour choices. Feedback on this issue is much appreciated.

Not all links work, and not all pages have content, just so you're aware.

I'd really appreciate any comments on design, layout, colours, browser issues (this is a tableless site so there is bound to be some), text, if you find something wrong with the site, I want to hear about it! Tear in to it if you must.

The Site.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked over your content on the home page and here are some suggestions:

“Intriguing” is spelled wrong in your logo.

Remove the period in “2 week guarantee on all basic.site packages”

Change “We believe that it is the customer that…” to “We believe it is the customer who…”

1st paragraph – change to “We assure you that all of our work is of the highest possible quality”

Add hyphens to easily-navigable and standards-compliant.

“We design websites because that is what we love to do, not because that is what we chose to do.” – I would think you would choose to do something you love. I think you could just leave it at “We design websites because that is what we love to do.”

There are more, if you really want to get picky, and I didn’t really look at the other pages. I used to do a lot of content proofing at work. Please don’t take offense, but if I were you I would hire an editor to give it a once-over before you really launch. With so much to focus on design-wise, it would be a shame to lose a potential customer because they felt your biz wasn’t “professional” based on the writing. I work in a publications office, so I have people proof my work all the time. If there’s an extra space after a period, they’ll find it. Even though my primary job function a few years ago was to proofread, you’d be surprised what I overlook now that I spend the bulk of my time worrying about things like CSS positioning and browser compatibility issues!

Layout: You use a lot of cool images, but I don’t get the “/ / / /” “…/….” thing you have going on in the header graphics. Hope that helps. Gotta get back to work.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the content help, I realize there are quite a few errors now and will have those fixed up by launch, I just wanted to get stuff up there to fill it for now.

“/ / / /” “…/….” that idea was there just for filler of sorts for that red bar. Upon launch we'd have all images the same, the different little ideas are just there to get some feedback on which is best, or if I shouldn't do that at all.

More feedback is always appreciated.

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great! I love the use of color and your navigation is absoluting on the mark as far as usability is concerned. People should have no trouble finding the information that they are looking for.

A word about using "About Us". If you are a group of people this is fine, but don't try to appear to be something you are not. If it's just you, that say so. It's ok to use "About" or "About Me". I know it doesn’t sound as good as "About Us" but at least it is honest.

I would also recommend that you take a look at how your page prints. (File/Print Preview should do it) I think that you will freak out when you see it. The contents are cut off and the layout doesn't hold up. There is a way to make a separate style sheet for print only. You might want to look into this. A lot of people have trouble reading text from a screen and therefore will want to print out the information.

Good luck and keep at it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll definitely look into the print stylesheet, it was always in the back of my mind but I never got around to it.

There's two of us, would it still be weird to have "about us" as the title of a page or should it be switiched to "about"?

Thanks for the feedback so far and keep it coming.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeykid
    I'd really appreciate any comments on design, layout, colours, browser issues (this is a tableless site so there is bound to be some), text, if you find something wrong with the site, I want to hear about it! Tear in to it if you must.
    well, since you asked, the fixed design is pretty lame

the main content drops down below the nav bar, and i get a horizontal scrollbar

there is no reason this site couldn't be liquid
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    well, since you asked, the fixed design is pretty lame

the main content drops down below the nav bar, and i get a horizontal scrollbar

there is no reason this site couldn't be liquid
    may I ask what browser version/os you are using? (I appreciate the honest feedback)

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    internet explorer 6 on windows 2000 pro

not exactly a mainstream browser, i know...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really odd. i'll look into it. i will also definitely look into expanding the site to a liquid design.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    what's odd about it?

you made the classic error of assuming my browser window is maximized at 800x600

sorry, but it isn't and your site breaks

i know that's harsh, but that's the reality of it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well for my design, it would be very hard to create a liquid site because my header image is 530px wide and my logo is almost 200px wide. To be able to resize under 800px would result in a horizontal scrollbar anyway so in this sense, a liquid design wouldn't really help the problem.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    very hard? i don't think so

but then, i've been doing liquid sites and css for about 5 years

your logo is fine, anybody narrowing their browser window below 200px, well, i dare say they won't have a very enjoyable surfing experience on 99.937% of web sites, so...

your image of the telephone wires is mere eye candy, and can be ditched for liquidity -- this means not to remove it, but to place it in a way that it will not widen the page

your main content should have a relative width, e.g. 70% of the body container

voila - liquid
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeykid
    I'll definitely look into the print stylesheet, it was always in the back of my mind but I never got around to it.

There's two of us, would it still be weird to have "about us" as the title of a page or should it be switiched to "about"?
    Print Style - I used the information in the book "Eric Meyers on CSS" to help me to adapt my site to print. He also has alot of really great techniques throughout his book on using CSS.

About Us - I think it is ok to use the "About Us" since there is two of you.

Good luck!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I'd really like to hear what others have to say concerning the design. Also, are there any other bugs I'm unaware of, did it work in your browser, etc.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow Rudy, you sure are serious about usability

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    mstwntd, you're not?

;rolleyes; ;shrugshoulders; ;wink;
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=hockeykid]...

I have reviewed your site in Mozilla 1.6 on WinXP.

Here are a few comments (I'll try not to repeat what others have already seid):

I like your rollover effect on the navigation. However, I'd prefer the buttons not to change when rolled over on the current page - I find it confusing.

The site resizes fine in Mozilla (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024). I'd make the red line below the header images go 100% though. The gray star is doing pretty good job in filling up some of the space on high resolutions. If you want to make the header images liquid, set them as backgrounds to your div-s. Here is an example of that (the front page images are backgrounds).

In your "get a quote" form the double-lined items are not lined up nicely, I guess you are still working on that.

And lastly - if you are not married to your company name, I suggest you change it into something else. The word "inertia" sounds quite negative to me (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=inertia&r=67) . If I was a client looking for a web designer, I'd skip you as soon as I see your name. But - that's me, maybe the word wouldn't have the same effect on everyone.

Good luck!
    M.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    mstwntd, you're not?

;rolleyes; ;shrugshoulders; ;wink;

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena
    I have reviewed your site in Mozilla 1.6 on WinXP.

Here are a few comments (I'll try not to repeat what others have already seid):

I like your rollover effect on the navigation. However, I'd prefer the buttons not to change when rolled over on the current page - I find it confusing.

The site resizes fine in Mozilla (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024). I'd make the red line below the header images go 100% though. The gray star is doing pretty good job in filling up some of the space on high resolutions. If you want to make the header images liquid, set them as backgrounds to your div-s. Here is an example of that (the front page images are backgrounds).

In your "get a quote" form the double-lined items are not lined up nicely, I guess you are still working on that.

And lastly - if you are not married to your company name, I suggest you change it into something else. The word "inertia" sounds quite negative to me (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=inertia&r=67) . If I was a client looking for a web designer, I'd skip you as soon as I see your name. But - that's me, maybe the word wouldn't have the same effect on everyone.

Good luck!
    M.
    thanks so much for the comments. It's a shame about our name, we came up with it through a science term having something to with motion (not lack of motion). We just recieved some spanking new business cards so I don't think we'll be changing it anytime soon

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    nice catch magdalena

yeah, inertia suggests "hard to change" and reminds me of how hard it is to alter the direction of an oil tanker, it just keeps going in the direction it's going, even if that's onto the rocks...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    internet explorer 6 on windows 2000 pro

not exactly a mainstream browser, i know...
    Define mainstream, do you mean mainstream to the web design world or to the general population? According to my server stats Win2000 IE6 is the top combo for the year with 52.4% with the next highest being Win98 IE6 weighing in at 9.2%. This being a tourism site I'd say I have a fairly safe general populace refernce and Win2000 with IE6 would therefore be fairly mainstream.

Inertia also means "the tendency of a body to maintain is state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force", that according to your quoted source.

You guys need to apply an equal and opposite force to your inert arses and get out a little more!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    "not exactly mainstream" was sarcasm

i was trying to make a point

i guess it didn't work, eh

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned