SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design co. revamping - What do you think?

Hey guys, I've messed around with my layout a bit, and this is what I have so far. There are some headlines missing, and little details, but you can get a feel for it.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

It's just the front page so far, so you can't click on anything. I just wanna know if the layout goes well for a web design company. Do you get a good feeling when you open the page?

Thanks in advance.

RedTetra Studio
    Last edited by MariaS; May 11, 2004 at 17:27.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I LOVE that you give a brief company description right at the top of the page, next to the logo. More people should do that.

typo in "Simpe Solutions."

It's a nice looking layout... I'd like to see it in html. You might have problems with things lining up correctly depending on how much marketing fluff you put in that bottom row where it's text-picture-text. Also, if you're going to repeat the main links of the site at the bottom of the page, you probably will want to separate them with something, even a | will do. (ex: Company | Solutions | ...

I'm usually offended by stock photos on web design co sites but these aren't too bad.

Good luck with it.
    -Rich

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile RedTetra Studio

Thank you for the suggestions. I went ahead and fixed them.

As for the stock photos, I honestly don't know where else to go for photos. What other option is there? I have one one of the Hemera CD's, but all their photos are so painfully boring and have that weird feel to them...like, you can just look at them and know they're from a CD.

My main concern with this layout is that it will seem too boring to clients, but I also want to preserve a semi-minimalist feel to it. I don't want to boggle it down with Flash or anything that blinks, because the whole point of the company is "Simple Solutions." I guess I'm trying to get the best combination of a minimalist, yet interesting layout, and I'm not sure that it's working.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My initial thought was this company makes me think of being in the red. Because of the subtle prevalent coloring of the layout. I understand that it is in their name, but that is the first feeling that came over me when I looked at the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look of the site a lot.

Seems like it will be relatively easy to code in CSS.

boringguy made some very good suggestions which I agree with, especially his concern with the bottom row.

Have you thought whether the navigation is sufficient for the site? By that I mean if you have decided that you will not have any secondary navigation.

If the page layout doesn't change on the interior pages, you have limited yourself to the amount of text you can display effectively. For example, you may need 6 pages to talk about your "Solutions". How will the reader navigate to those pages?

If you are keeping the text very light, and only intend to say very little, then the navigation structure is fine; it is clear and intuitive.

Great looking site. I also look forward to seeing the final construction.
    Amir Davies
    Solutions Developer
    Pro Enviro Ltd

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amirdavies, thanks for your comments.

By coding in CSS, do you mean using it instead of tables, or just using CSS as a formatting solutions, along with the tables? I'm planning on using tables for the structure and CSS for everything else, because doing a table-less design out of this layout seems a bit too much.

As far as the secondary navigation issue is concerned, I am indeed planning on adding more. The secondary pages will be based on the same layout, but the bottom portion will dissapear so I can have plenty of space for text. What will remain intact is the top section and the main navigation. Initially, the idea was to fit all the content for the main page in a tight space, so the client doesn't have to scroll down to get the information they are looking for. I only have about 10 seconds to impress someone, right? So I figured I'd make it as easy on them as possible.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please feel free to jump in. The more criticism I can get now, the less time I have to spend fixing problems later.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mean for you to use CSS for the entire design, as tables are unnecessary - the use of tables for formatting will bloat the page and make it less accessible.

It is never over the top to separate content and presentation!

If you are a web design company, surely you should code the page as you would for a client... in the best possible way. IMO, the best way would be to use CSS.

The business benefits can then be "sold" to clients... see the article here:

http://www.macromedia.com/newsletter...ngid=DMJA_ABHU
    Amir Davies
    Solutions Developer
    Pro Enviro Ltd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a very neat and tidy looking design. It has a professional edge to it as well (which is obviously important for potential clients).

The colours work well together and I like the red as it jumps out at you (it was one of the first things that I saw).

My real concern is extending the design to accomodate large amounts of text. I know you are not intending on using much text but there may be times when you need to display more than 10 seconds worth of text (what about the possibility of existing client testimonials?) Maybe you could add another column at the bottom the page. Your current design would work well as a homepage but you could use the four boxes to the right of the navigation as a larger area for content within your design...

Overall though, good job! Clean, tidy and should be really small downloads if you make the most of CSS (seriously... consider adopting the CSS approach - you will find it much more beneficial)
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall very nice look. I would say foget the minimalist design concept as you have already by far exceeded that.

I would say treat all photos as the close up of the kid. The full color one at the bottom seems out of place. The one of the charts seems to work because of the colors.

I think one simple layout change would address the above issues concerning larger amounts of text and really help pull the page together. As it is now there is no flow, it seems to be a hyperactive jumping around from info to info with the text, photo, text thing.

Move the bottom photo to the left under the nav and make the area directly to the right of that your main body copy area and you have one great layout.

SitePoint Enthusiast Charles Lim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice

The stock photo was a bit scary though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like some photos from sxc.hu - great site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, great use of color and nice compact yet informative design. Mouse overs on those buttons will make it alot better too. Good Job. 8.5 out of 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Maria,

You have frankly gone ahead and underestimated your effort while requesting the review. I found that you have put in enough good work and are keen to improve it too.

Let's get to your site now. I was really impressed by the look and feel. You have come up with an intelligent combination of photographs and colors and they blend beautifully. I think you have given some effects to the pics, which is nice. Also like the way you ahve used two colors in the logo. In my opinion, the idea of simple solutions is being conveyed by the design.

I am sure you wud put some border above the logo and company description becoz as of now it is just hanging out. Needs a defined boundry.

The content if increased might pose problems. In the middle of the page you have put links. It would be better if you provide a heading, something like 'Services Offered' or 'Solutions' if that can fit. I am not sure what you are going to put on the 'Solutions' page. Would be better to avoid repetitions.

Can you accomodate the bottom navigational links above the copyright thing if possible. Presently, it is giving the impression that they are outside the layout.

Hope these suggestions help,

Good luck,
    Charu
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!