Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been working on a new site and after getting everything done I
    have decided it would be tidier if the gifs for page designs, rollover
    menus etc. were in there own folder. Is there a simple way to move the
    gifs to a new folder say "images" and then have dreamweaver change all
    my links? I really don't relish typing images/ in front of the images to change.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can move the images to a new folder with no problem. when you do that, dreamweaver should ask you wether you want link to those images/files updated.

you obviously want to say yes.

keep in ind though that the links are only updated on the local site. you'll have to RE-upload the affected files/images/folders for the changes to take place on the live site.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris is there a specific way to do that?

I tried moving a couple of images with explorer while the page was open in DW3 hoping I would get a prompt but didn't.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forget explorer. you have to do it from within dreamweaver.

1- go to File > New Folder or right-click > new folder and create the folder "images" or whatever you want to call it.

2- select the images/files that you want to move, and just drag them over to the folder. you should now get a prompt asking you somthing like :

would you like to load cached link information now and check for links that are broken after renaming this file?
    3- click Yes. dreamweaver will check for any broken links

4- you should now get a prompt asking you :

update links in the following files?
    click Yes.

and you're done.
    . . . chris

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver works best when you actually specify a "site". Once you do this and tell it what your root folder is it can work out links to other folders because they are all relativet o the root! Trust me! I teach a 3 day comemrcial course on Dreamwaver!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris tried it this a.m and it works just like you said. Now I wish I hadn't stayed up til 2.30 manually changing them. Oh well learn something new all the time.

I take it you meant go to site / open site / file /then make new folder. In DW3 going to top menu file didn't have anything for a new folder.

Hopefully this will save other DW newbies some time and help better organize there files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    Dreamweaver works best when you actually specify a "site". Once you do this and tell it what your root folder is it can work out links to other folders because they are all relativet o the root! Trust me! I teach a 3 day comemrcial course on Dreamwaver!
    Maybe you could explain in a few lines the basics behind templates.

I tried saving a blank page with my menu and other tables as a template. Then when I go to close the file it gives a message box "saying this template doesn't have any editable regions....."

What do I need to do if I wish to load the saved template and then enter new images into the tables and save.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by gthorley
    Maybe you could explain in a few lines the basics behind templates.
    Sure thing.

Templates in Dreamweaver allow you to keep all your pages following a similar style and theme. They also have a bonus that if you update the template itself, you update all the pages in the site that use that template.

When it complained about not having any editable regions, it was basically saying your template had nowhere to put the page content already on the page(s). An editable region is part of a page not defined by the template, eg the body text, page title etc.

Go to Modify > Templates > New Editable region and add in an editable region called Body or similar where you want the main body of the text to go. That'll then allow each page to have different text / body content, but the navigation and look will all be controlled by the template itself.

When you apply the template to an existing page, it'll ask you which region you want to add the existing page content to, you can specify the region you've just created. The template will work around the page content. Try it to see what I mean

Make sense?

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that helps quite a bit.

I will give it a try and make sure I learn how to use this feature before the next revamp.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should. Being able to update all your pages using only one page is soooooooooooooooo useful

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.