could you give me some advice and comments on my website:

www.infoscripts.com

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This looks like a promicing resource, however I won't be bookmarking it just yet.

Content wise, the layout seems to work, and the site is easy to navigate.

The colour scheme is indistinguishable due to the use of too many different colours. I would narrow it down to white, gray, and shades of that colour under "Select a category". The icons such as the folders could also be redone to match the colour scheme of the layout.

That header really needs to go. Firstly it takes too long to load, secondly the short feather makes it look unprofessional and lastly, it's completely irrelevant to your content.

I would also consider redoing the logo.

i like the site overall, but with a few tweaks it could dramatically be improved.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reviewed on Win 2000 Firefox 0.8, IE 6, resolution: 1024 x 768

The layout is nice. The fonts could all be a bit bigger, at the very least, the break down of each cateogry (like under ASP - Articles, Books & Media, Other Web Sites, ..)

Having all the links in black when all your regular text is also black seems to be kind of usability problem to me. Especially when your google ad links scream out in the traditional blue.

I would also strongly consider using a web-standards based layout (nix the tables). Since you're listing C/C++ and CGI/Perl as audience targets, those folks may be browsing in a text-based browser like lynx. Your site will be pretty painful to those folks unless you're going to serve them up their own version. You could also convert all those .ititle styles to h1, h2. etc...

The site as it stands is perfectly good. I think with a little work though it could be great.

Good luck with it.
    -Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Review

Mac OS X 10.3.3 - IE 5.2.3

Your site seems to have a nice layout - everything is easy to find and navigate to. There are few things that need to be addressed.

The best advice I can give you is to remove one of the two Google Adsense ads you're running. Unless I'm mistaken, it's against the Adsense TOS to run two Google ad banners on the same page. You need to fix this immediately or you risk being dropped from Adsense.

Your header and logo needs a bit of tweaking. As mentioned before, the stock image of the handstand doesn't seem to relate to your content/site in any way. Resist the urge to add stock images just for the sake of having images on your site. As for the logo, the "i" balloon is too far away and not integrated with your INFOSCRIPTS title/logo. An easy fix would be to redesign the logo using the "i" inside the ballon as the first letter "i" in "infoscripts". It's an obvious design choice, but done well, would be a great improvement.

You have several unecessary plural words. "Resources Categories" should be "Resource Categories. "Scripts/Softwares" should be "Scripts/Software". Also, what does the phrase "Index Resources" mean in your title tag? I'm not sure that would be useful as a keyword in your title tag.

Narrow your color scheme. For example, you have three different shades of blue that don't seem to compliment each other. (Ex: The black type of "Select A Category" is difficult to read against the blue background. Black type rarely works against dark blue backgrounds.)

Anyway, it seems that making the changes mentioned in this thread will help your site. Good luck with it!
    -jca

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Infoscripts!

Good started point you`ve had, but I would make some changes.

The blue colour is good choise, but don`t combine it with black 1px lines, it`s not that clear. When you combine it with white ones - it`s different!

I understand, that you wanted to do HTML design, but don`t go away from your basic idea. I think, that shade at the top is not a good choise when you don`t balance it somewhere on the site. I would put it away.

The picture - the combination of the gradient angle doesn`t match with the angle of the gradient used on the picture, that doesn`t look that appealing...

The left panel is great, but I would probably use the other colour than black for highlighting..

Martin
    TLC - webdesign & development
    www.internetovestranky.sk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that!

Hi,

Thanks very much for your help. Following your advice I did a lot of modification on my website and I think it looks a lot more better now. It's true that there were too many colors and the image looked a bit unprofessional. Could you tell me if my site improved?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice, I have nothing to pick at now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Infoscripts
    Could you tell me if my site improved?
    Things do look better.

However, per my suggestion of making the "i" and comic balloon more intergreated with the logo, I think you've created a new problem. INFOSCRIPTS now reads as NFOSCRIPTS. The "i" is still too far from the NFOSCRIPTS. Basically, what's most important is that your logo/name is clear and readable. An easy-to-read logo will ALWAYS be superior to an interesting, yet unreadable logo. Don't be afraid to break the border of the balloon. Like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jca; May 11, 2004 at 23:37.
    -jca