SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.seowebsitepromotion.com

Ok, from a technical, aesthetic or usability perspective, how might I improve Enigma.

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, from a usability stand point here goes (deep breath):

Dropdown menus are great, but... they also have a tendency to hind navigation. (I wish this usability issue wasn't true) Try not to make people "think" to hard about finding somthing on your site.

Also clicking on the main links should take people to a page associated with the topic. Instead your links are null and only allow people to view more links.
    Making these changes will not only make things easy for people to find, but it will greatly enhance your search engine visibility.

The images on the right hand side are great. Can you make them clickable too, but don't take away the text link. The text link lets people know that they can click but I think you'll find that a lot of people will try to click on the images.

If you are interested in learning more I have put together a few design, navigation and search tips on my site.

One more thing before I go, play around with different font sizes. Making use of different font sizes and emphasis can go along way in making your site more scanable and readable.

We don’t read pages. We scan them. Why do we scan?

1) We’re usually in a hurry. Much of Our Web use is motivated by the desire to save time. As a result, Web users tend to act like sharks: They have to keep moving, or they’ll die. We just don’t have the time to read any more than necessary.

2) We know we don’t need to read everything. On most pages, we’re really only interested in a fraction of what’s on the page. We’re just looking for the bits that match our interests or the task at hand. And the rest of it is irrelevant. Scanning is how we find the relevant bits.

3) We’re good at it. We’ve been scanning newspapers, magazines, and books all our lives to find the parts we’re interested in, and we know that it works.

(I think I have some tips on this too)

If you need any help, please let me know.

And remember "...people won't use your site if they can't find what they are looking for"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Impressions. I'll take the critique on-board.

It is a very busy site and there are issues with the lead into the page, i.e. where does the eye go first.

>Also clicking on the main links should take people to a page associated with the topic. Instead your links are null and only allow people to view more links.

That was a conscious decision. I'll need to get my head around this. I originally had them as direct jumps then decided against it (although for the life of me I can't remember why or, currently, justify the rationale). I shall look to the menu logic.

>Can you make them clickable too, but don't take away the text link.

Yup, I can create a new wrapper class, not dissimilar to the main image link.

>One more thing before I go, play around with different font sizes. Making use of different font sizes and emphasis can go along way in making your site more scanable and readable.

Ok, will 'play around'. Hopefully not too enthusiastically

>If you need any help, please let me know.

You have my absolute assurance, I shall Do you have a day free, tomorrow ...

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaseo
    >If you need any help, please let me know.

You have my absolute assurance, I shall Do you have a day free, tomorrow ...

Thank you.
    Well, I try not to work on the weekends. I reserve my weekends for my family. I can work with you on Monday if that works for you. Just put together something specific for me to do (or to look into in more detail) and I see what I can come up with. Talk to you later.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impressions
    Well, I try not to work on the weekends. I reserve my weekends for my family. I can work with you on Monday if that works for you. Just put together something specific for me to do (or to look into in more detail) and I see what I can come up with. Talk to you later.
    Thanks, Impressions ... but I was messing about. Naturally I wouldn't presume on your time. I do such for others and will happily build a site for somebody I don't know if it helps them in an hour of need. I don't expect such from others but am delighted (and a little surprised) if it happens.

I think the better course of action would be to embrace you considerations, step back and re-evaluate the site, knock up an index rebuild then run the rewrite and associated resultant queries by you and the forum.

Enjoy your weekend

BTW, I bet you design in IE, your primary target browser
    Last edited by enigmaseo; May 14, 2004 at 16:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaseo
    BTW, I bet you design in IE, your primary target browser
    Your right about the IE. I do test in other browsers, and am working on getting it centered in Nav 7. I also run a dual site for older browsers. If you are seeing something that I am not, please let me know. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impressions
    Your right about the IE. I do test in other browsers, and am working on getting it centered in Nav 7. I also run a dual site for older browsers. If you are seeing something that I am not, please let me know. Thanks!
    Of course I didn't want to disturb you weekend. While I'm sipping Sunday espresso and scratching my head over Enigma, I'll run yours through the Geckos and Opera.

Cheers

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

It is a good selling technique to say you are number one out of 4million websites in Google...but to the experienced this deception is easily caught.

Good marketing tool for not so savvy business owners however. Good thinking

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webmorpheus
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

It is a good selling technique to say you are number one out of 4million websites in Google...but to the experienced this deception is easily caught.

Good marketing tool for not so savvy business owners however. Good thinking
    webmorpheus -- you're quite right, only about half the number who search for the keyphrase 'business website development', about 200 a month. But it's the audience I want, in the market I want. Qualified leads from people and businesses who want this specific service.

Although I might argue 'deception' is an ethically-loaded word; there is no deception in achieving prominence for my chosen keyphrases. We have a tabloid in the UK that uses similarly loaded words: the Sun.

And website development standards will become more topical as accessibility issues are brought under increasing public scrutiny. Financial sanctions are already in place in the UK, USA and other countries and the momentum to impose these under existing legislation is nearly at critical mass. When this happens a heck of a lot of business directors whose sites are clearly inaccessible to physically or cerebrally disabled people will take to the search engines and seek a resolution. By this time I hope to have established not just the basecamp and have footholds on many plateaus but to be clearly visible above the clouds among peaks of accessibility flags and to have been one of the first to have claimed the highest summit. Or something like that

Part of good marketing is anticipation - in both senses of the word.

Were I targeting 'website development' I would certainly trawl more fish but I'd be landed with the 'Can you do a site for a few hundred quid' prospects, in whom I have no interest. The difference between the two is how much revenue and exposure one well-qualified client will bring to my business and the subsequent business I will fold into my clientèle.

I have other sites I built for clients who sell leather sofas (20k searches per month) or hotel accommodation in Cyprus whose prospective customers are checking Cyprus weather (18k per month). These are setup and optimised for a different target audience who often need to sit on a sofa and who may need at least a once-yearly break

My business site is just more selective. Search engine marketing is not about the number of hits you take, it's the quality of relevant prospects you convert.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine Speech. But what makes it deception, is the fact that you are promoting SEO...when I see a screenshot of a Google search that you are #1 out of 4.5 mill websites, this tells me that they are promoting the fact that they can optimize a website.

You may call on a business and say hey, heres proof, im #1. (at least what I do with some non-competitive keywords I rank for..)

AND lord knows...we all hate those, "What is your bottom line?" prospects, but face it, WHO ISNT? I onced proposed a bid to a marketing consulting firm with client like Dole and Welches... I did not receive the bid, (lack of experience in selling was a part...) because they did not feel that the company I represented fitted into their budget scheme.

Tell me if I am wrong...but how many business owners DO have a concept of development standards?

It is definitely important for us, but for people looking to hire a firm I dont think that is a prominent basis of their selection process. I have worked with several banks, not one ever Asked about W3 compliance.

I would however, be very amused if you have found steady leads from those search terms..

Price is ALWAYS an issue...(unless you are VP in the white house with a defense contract...) It doesnt matter how much the client is willing to spend, but how you sell them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... this tells me that they are promoting the fact that they can optimize a website.
    I am and I can. I have optimised for standards-compliant, accessible business website development.

Tell me if I am wrong...but how many business owners DO have a concept of development standards?
    Far too few. But this will change as directors of business whom I wish to target are advised in their monthly board meetings that they'd best allocate an accessibility budget and get up to speed on the issue.

It is definitely important for us, but for people looking to hire a firm I dont think that is a prominent basis of their selection process. I have worked with several banks, not one ever Asked about W3 compliance.
    Indeed, I doubt many businesses currently rank accessibility and standards highly in the tender specifications document ... yet. But they will once the benefits are elaborated and the sanctions discussed.

I would however, be very amused if you have found steady leads from those search terms.
    I shall endeavour to keep you in the loop and begin your day with a good belly laugh as often as possible

Price is ALWAYS an issue...(unless you are VP in the white house with a defense contract...) It doesn't matter how much the client is willing to spend, but how you sell them.
    Indeed it is, since we live in a market-driven economy but I don't compete on price, I don't charge for standards-compliant, accessible sites; I engage to build, redesign or retrofit a website; the fact that it is accessible and standards-compliant is either part of the remit or par for my course.

As with all professions in life, one builds a bunch of skillsets and goes out into the world and says Hey, I can do this, anybody interested? I do it by myself with a few networked (in both sense) friends whom I've come to like and respect. I got out of the railway game in the UK - where I was IT manager for an intercity line - when they privatised. I was not going to participate in the 'built by the lowest bidder' game. Neither way I willing to tolerate misguided agendas developed under office politics.

I build accessible sites because I am tired of the proliferation of wannabe webmasters whose principle concerns are with generating as much money as possible selling either bedroom aids or AdSense commercials with no concern for those who cannot access their sites through disabilities.

A member of my family is challenged with MS and there may come a day when she is not physically able to access the Internet though conventional methods, e.g. with a mouse and who may need to bump up the copy size a notch or too to ease focusing difficulties. I want her to enjoy the same respect and courtesy I offer users without disabilities.

Perhaps I have something of a naive approach to what people are willing to pay for in this world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent munu system looks very eyecatching and the differnt themes cater for all

needs somthing in that title background though to fill up some space

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevsweb
    excellent munu system looks very eyecatching and the differnt themes cater for all
    Was about to comment that the basics weren't mine but sorted a while back by YoungPup. A quick check of the include file revealed I hadn't credited him for the original build Now rectified by the below in the source (It's accredited in Web Cleanse (inactive) in anticipation of the build).
    Code:
    //---------------
    // adapted from
    // ypSlideOutMenu
    // 3/04/2001
    // youngpup
    //---------------
    It's important to give credit where due.

Unfortunately it's not as slick as it once was after I'd moved from pixel based to em based sizing. It was far more fluid on expansion. The greater scaling factor (and poor percentage handling in Gecko browsers) means I had to go with a best fit solution; accessibility comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevsweb
    needs somthing in that title background though to fill up some space
    I've had varied feedback on that, some for, some against. I've tried including more copy - elaboration of the topic as a page content summary - but it then seemed cluttered.

The site remains in infancy, having been spider unblocked for just a couple of months, so I have an opportunity to tweak the aesthetics and functionality before it properly settles, a few months down the line.

Thanks for feedback, Trev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad at all! I like the pulldown menus at the top of the page. Very quick and really set out the graphical portion of the site. I like the color scheme and the graphics are top notch (in my opinion anyways.) I like the placement of the picture at the top, too. Overall, you've done a fine job!

Ian
    "It's way better to have 100 idiot clients than to have one idiot boss."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design, but the bike is a bit weird. I have a friend selling some realyl good SEO domains if you are interested. Over all though, I like it. The dark works, which is hard to do, not many dark sites look good.