SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firebird v.s PostGreSQL ???

i'm now building a database. triggers and stored proceedures are involved. what're the pros and cons between the two in this aspect? BTW, it's running on a Xp machine and i consider the one which is easier to develop would be better. the app using the db will be written in PHP.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesn't anyone know anything about this matter?

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit late, but better than never

On Windows, Firebird may be better as you can get a native binary and some nice admin tools.

On the whole, Postgres is probably better, simply because it's more widely known/used.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that postgresql will have a native windows version soon. If so, considering the learning curve, which is easier to learn? I'm new to both and learning firebird currently. I feel it a bit hard, since there's no more tutorial-like article , just a single phoneix doc, which is a little bit difficult for beginners. maybe postgresql is easier?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this comparison chart - it's pretty up-to-date:

mysql vs. postgresql vs. maxdb vs. firebird
    http://www.geocities.com/mailsoftware42/db/

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zjcboy
    I heard that postgresql will have a native windows version soon. If so, considering the learning curve, which is easier to learn? I'm new to both and learning firebird currently. I feel it a bit hard, since there's no more tutorial-like article , just a single phoneix doc, which is a little bit difficult for beginners. maybe postgresql is easier?
    There's almost certainly more info out there for Postgres. Firebird 1.5 is not really well documented. However there is a very good set of free PDF documentation for Interbase 6.0/Firebird 1.0 which you can download from the Firebird website. Worth a look.

I personally found Firebird relatively easy, although I didn't look at it in depth. I may go back and look at it as an alternative to SQL Server/MSDE for ASP.NET applications (they now have a .NET data provider). I don't know what client tools Postgres has, but for Firebird you can get IBExpress Personal Edition which makes poking round in the database much easier.

One other thing you may want to consider - Firebird's footprint on your system is very small. I'm not sure about Postgres, but I notice fairly big slowdowns running MSDE on older Windows systems.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark