SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Importing Data into MySQL - Confusion Reigns!

Not long after I started learning about MySQL, I ditched phpMyAdmin because I couldn't import csv files with it. I downloaded a trial version of a commercial project that did the job. But the trial expired, and it isns't a program I want to purchase.

So I took another look at phpMyAdmin and see that the problem relates to Error #1148, which is apparently pretty common. I found a lot of references online, including some fixes, but I couldn't understand most of them. I did try one fix, but it just made things worse.

So I wondered if anyone could point me to a reference that clearly explains exactly what document I have to open and exactly what code I have to modify.

In the meantime, I downloaded another commercial program, NaviCat, and tried to import a csv file. But it doesn't even mention csv. (It does include "text file" among the options, but that's apparently not the same as text file.)

Then I noticed the Microsoft Excel extension - but that doesn't work, because my Microsoft spreadsheet isn't Excel - it has a slightly different extension. I also have OpenOffice.org's spreadsheet, but it has yet another different extension.

You can also import from an .htm file, but there's no way I could put my bigger database tables onto a webpage without crashing Dreamweaver.

So what's the solution? Can you recommend another software program (preferably free) that imports csv files? Or can a csv file be converted into a .txt file? Can phpMyAdmin import spreadsheets?

Also, I should mention that I'm using Windows XP, and I'm not transferring data between computers or publishing it online. This is a local operation involving just me and my computer.

Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think phpadmin gives an 1148 Error because it uses a LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE command. So your problem is the same as the one described in the thread "LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE doesn't work..." started by davidklonski.