SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't posted in these forums for quite awhile. I am doing a redesign of my site, but
    I don't know where to begin. I want to have it loading fast, no fancy junk like java or javascript,
    unless the javascript is necessary (like a quote of the day or something).

I don't have any content right now because I am trying to get a few things like a quiz and other things. I
    don't want to turn my site into a portal site. Its just a simple fan site, showing my love for Star Wars. I just haven't worked on it for quite awhile because I was doing other stuff.

I have an idea of what I want, but the design would probably be too blah for some people.

The site design I have now is way to simple and I would like to improve on it. Any design I do would have to be able to be used with a quiz script (perl or php, not sure which) a FFA links script and a forum.

I wanted to do something like

Some cool graphic up here (I have an idea, but I don't know if I could do it)
    Site Menu

(In the middle of the screen) News, Updates, sign up for my discussion mailing list

Poll or Quote of the day

I know I could do this with tables, but the codes are what I always get screwed up on. There is a site that has a template that would have a image at the top, but I would not use the menu spaces on the image.

Thanks for reading this. I hope someone can offer my some advice.

http://www.jediliz.net

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello clueless,
    Have you read the new article at SitePoint called "Behind the Scenes of a Web Site Makeover: Part 1"? If not, you can read it at

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php/323

HOpe this helps!
    Corbb O'Connor
    Looking for quality website design or database programming?
    Contact me for more information and a FREE quote!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you one pointed off the bat.

When using an image as a link include border = "0" in the img tag.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Corbbmacc
    Hello clueless,
    Have you read the new article at SitePoint called "Behind the Scenes of a Web Site Makeover: Part 1"? If not, you can read it at

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php/323

HOpe this helps!
    I just read it. I am planning to do the redesign myself. I'd rather not pay for something. I
    sort of know what I need (better navigation thing, more content, a star wars look).

I might try out that template I found.

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for design ideas try out a site like http://www.coolhomepages.com and see if anything there interests you. I'm not saying you should steal a design, just find a nice layout and colour scheme. I'm not sure what experience you have with graphics but I would really recommend downloading a demo of Paint Shop Pro 7 or Photoshop 6 and then reading a few tutorials. If you want it simple then graphics shouldn't take you too long. Good luck with your project, I have added it to my bookmarks!