SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac incompatibility with CSS

I do not have a mac, but a friend of mine checked out my site and they reported that they can only see my top banner/logo. The rest is blank.

URL: http://www.cyberiansolutions.com

Anyone have any ideas why this is? I know that macs are not "incompatible" with CSS, but it's surely posing a problem in my case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm on a Mac using Safari and it looks great, I can see all of your content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply. Possible the person is using an older Mac browser?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right I've just checked your site in Firefox, an older version of Safari and it looks great.

Although in IE your page does look a little messed up...

Look at your site stats, and decide whether or not it's worth catering for Mac IE users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. I wish I knew what IE Mac doesn't like. Anyone have any ideas on where to start?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do remember that IE for mac is not longer developed for, and the version that is "current" is 5.2, I wouldn't care too much about that version. But, as FrozenToast said: check your site stats for IE on mac. People with a mac+10.0 is normally using Safari or any mozilla based browsers.

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberian
    Anyone have any ideas on where to start?
    You could try taking a look here:
    http://www.macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/

I have a mac at home, if I have a chance tonight I'll try to take a look.

nucleuz comments that most OSX users are using Safari or Mozilla, but I have actually wondered for awhile what the breakdown is roughly for the mac community right now. I use Firefox, my husband uses Safari, but my uncle still uses Netscape on his mac. Hmmmm...

Nevertheless i agree with FrozenToast and nucleuz, I'd try to figure out if it's worth addressing. But if it's an easy fix, I don't see why not.

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok for those of us who were dying to know, I did a brief search and found these two old polls from '02

http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=34
    http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=132

Safari does look pretty dominant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Cyberan, nice website, just a couple comments the logo should be a link to the homepage. and the services listed on the top right should be links since they stand out so much. ::spent a few clicks on that image::

I recently had a CSS / Mac blunder, actually it was today. I had a website demo all ready to show on a prospects computer, when they were using mac vers 10. My website looking like one of those plates you toss up and shoot with a shotgun!

So being the dynamic salesman that I am I showed her other, earlier works. These were transitional 4.01's with a few tables, and they displayed pretty much fine.

Seems to me Mac hates tableless CSS. So Im thinking I may start going back to using transitional 4.01...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webmorpheus
    Seems to me Mac hates tableless CSS. So Im thinking I may start going back to using transitional 4.01...

Well what did you develop on? IE6 WinXP?

There are pleanty of normal completely valid things I can do with CSS that work as they should in Safari but do not work in IE6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyberian,

Just to let you know I looked at your site in IE 5.1 on a Mac running OS 9 and it views fine.

John

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I developed on IE 6 Win XP. I do because most of my potential clients use Windows XP, either IE 5 -6. I am not one too big on developing for all of the safari's and firefoxe's, you may think "how stupid", but I am far too busy too worry about those browsers when I really have no need to impress other web designers.

It is funny how compatible someof my 4.01 codes are as oppsed to the w3 "standards"

I once saw a program on lockergnome.com which allowed you to view a webpage in many browsers at once...anyone use any program like this? I could really benefit, and I think a lot of other people would too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I developed on IE 6 Win XP. I do because most of my potential clients use Windows XP, either IE 5 -6. I am not one too big on developing for all of the safari's and firefoxe's, you may think "how stupid", but I am far too busy too worry about those browsers when I really have no need to impress other web designers.

webmorpheus - what you are doing could cause yourself a lot of problems in the future. if mozilla/opera start to get a greater share of the browser market, or if ms ever release a browser that is standards compliant you will have a lot of work on your hands fixing up your old designs.

I'm assuming you're using xhtml/css of course. If you are it's much easier to design to compliant browser such as firefox and then fix the ie bugs when you're done.

Matt.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice site...

Quote Originally Posted by cyberian
    I do not have a mac, but a friend of mine checked out my site and they reported that they can only see my top banner/logo. The rest is blank.

URL: http://www.cyberiansolutions.com

Anyone have any ideas why this is? I know that macs are not "incompatible" with CSS, but it's surely posing a problem in my case.
    I really like your design! I didn't have time to go through your content, but aesthetically its beautiful!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Develop for Firefox

Firefox and Safari are on-par in terms of CSS support.

IE for Windows lags behind them and developing for it will give you many misconceptions about how CSS works (for example you will always be assured that a container expands to contain all the floats inside it).

If you are developing CSS that targets IE on Win you are not doing CSS, you are doing M$-style CSS which is not really close to what people call web-stardards.

Code for Mozilla, hack for IE. And your site will work on everything MacOS X (behalf maybe iCab - but who cares and IE Mac for which some more hacking may be necessary).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The program you are talking about is BrowserCam. Saw it on one tutorial at maxdesign.com.au

John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks fine using IE 5.2.2 on a Mac iBook. However, Opera cannot get the top banner to load
    Mike

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jodmcc
    The program you are talking about is BrowserCam. Saw it on one tutorial at maxdesign.com.au

John
    thanks John!

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use @media for IE for Mac. It just doesn't work. I now have to "sniff" for Mac/IE and serve a different stylesheet, as I use @media to create a printable version of one site...

Edit:

I should add, by "doesn't work" I mean Mac/IE5 won't read the stylesheet at all if the main formatting CSS is within @media=screen { }

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, it looks fine in safari. most mac os x users will probably be using safari.
    iPodbank - Forum for iPod, music, tv and movie enthusiasts.
    Golf Rewind - If you enjoy the game of golf, check out my forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everybody jumping on this. Seems that the tip I linked to above fixed it all - even the old Mac IE browsers 5.1 and 5.2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Cyberan, nice website, just a couple comments the logo should be a link to the homepage. and the services listed on the top right should be links since they stand out so much. ::spent a few clicks on that image::
    Thanks for the good words and great idea. I cannot beleive I forgot to do that. What a UI screw-up! Should have the links now.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web Design, Web Application Development - is that you?

Great business, that develops Web Application and dosn't care for Macs, Linux and Windows users, using safe applications...

You should put it on top of your website - LOL

Fl÷zen

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...maybe i said that a little too out of hand. More or less it depends on the client, if it is a construction company, and they are not web savvy, you think they have even heard of a prog like firefox? Why would I need to waste time hacking codes to work with firefox for their application?

now dont get me wrong...I do try to develop websites to be as wide accessible as possible. (to a limit IE. Netscape 4) But mainly for commercial/based websites. Such as a mortgage lender.

But I spend time analyzing who my audience is, and I think bbefore I have to spend ample amounts of time..."hacking codes"

And If I am developing dynamic applications for an enterprising business....again enters th question, if they are using Interent Explorer 4, then they probably cant afford me in the firs place. Sorry folks, but this is a Windos world, most people in the offices that are not savvy (and that is who we make things easy for, right?)