SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Help!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know next to nothing about web page designing & I want to develop a web page for my business. What are some of the best & easiest software programs to use? Cost is a factor as I will only be designing one site. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike it would be helpful to know more info.

1) What kind of business? Would it entail primarily narrative or would you need to have pictures of inventory, a way for customers to order using credit cards.

2) Are you totally green concerning html?

Some suggestions

1) Do some searchs and look at websites for competitive business. Also if you search for pro-forma web pages you might find a template that you can use.

2) Dreamweaver is a good wysiwyg editor but you will need to spend some time on a learning curve. You can try it out for 30 days.

I would suggest you look at a bunch of sites and figure out what structure you want and then do it. Ask questions when you get stuck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be doing car graphics and lettering also signs for businesses. I want to have alot of pictures of different examples of my work. Plus I would like to have a color selection section. I would also need a way for people to use credit cards and other secure ways to pay. And yes, I'm green when it comes to HTML. Thanks for your help!!

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, to be honest I'd say dont waste your time. Sounds harsh I know but I mean it in a good way

People spend years learning html, javascript, cgi etc in order to create good business sites. And it sounds like the site you want requires a few features that will need at least some basic knowledge of scripting etc. If your business is important to you it would be worth your while investing a little money to hire somebody to do the work and represent your company as professionaly as possible.

Or if youd rather not fork out any cash on it then a great resource is the "Trading Post" area of Sitepoint forums here. Perhaps offering free advertising and a small gift certificate would net you some quality work from a new/young designer.

Just some thoughts

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy NetObjects Fusion version 4 for $49 bucks right now at www.netobjects.com

Just choose the purchase link...

Now with NOF you don't need to really know anything about HTML although it helps if you need to get into some effects and or using javascript etc...

NOF is a true wysiwyg editor. It treats everything as an object text, graphics etc can be placed anywhere you desire on the page.

You will have a learning curve with NOF but really once you get started it will come easily enough.

The key to a lot of webdesign isn't necessarily the html coding as you can do some really creative pages with very simple layout in code. Graphic design in my opinion is a big part of it and if your already doing that for a living then you already have an understanding of color and design.

Hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike sounds like you are biting off to much. The business sounds like it needs more of a professional approach or at least someone with a little backgound knowledge.

I would either work on it gradually as you can bring yourself up to speed or make a deal with someone. If time is important to you I would go with the latter. This sounds more like a business venture to me and I would suggest most people who design their own sites do so from the hobby side of learning web-site programming. If you decide you want to give it a shot then be prepared to put in hours of time. You won't be alone because you can seek info here and you will get lots of help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help. You've given me a few options to think about. Anymore ideas please keep them coming.