SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I requested a review at some point in the past, but the site has undergone a complete 360-degree change in business model -- and as a result the design is new. Let me know what you think. It should load superfast.

URL: http://www.inquit.net

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is a pretty basic layout. you can't really go wrong with it. because there are about 4 graphics it does load super fast. i don't really get what you are doing with that site. i hate pop-up windows, if you are going to do that popupwindow, use a cookie and only do it once. the fortune cookie should be a popupwindow. no need for all that blank space. are you tracking which links people are clicking on? i do like tha graphics, i am a simple man, that likes simple things.
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I would get rid of the pop up if you can. That is the one thing that turn me away from a site right away. The rest of the site is very clean and load super fast. The only thing I would change would be the blue and the orange clashing between the menubar and main table. Other then that the site is good.
    Last edited by djrs; Feb 18, 2001 at 21:47.
    http://www.hostinquiry.com
    Look up your host today!
    ----------------------------
    ~Dylan Schiedel

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad loads fast, clean design.

As mentioned before I would remove the pop-up to return visitors so have some sort of script that will only show the pop up window to a first time visitor.

Also mentioned, the join between the two tables looks a bit funny so I would maybe try making the borders of both tables the same color, just experiment and sees what looks best!

Some more points to consider:

1. Love the logo, works really well expecially with the line leading to your sloga, however, I think you don't draw enough attention to a logo that works so well.

2. Love the colors, blue and orange is a personal favorite of mine, however, you might want to rethink your link colors, as I think the orange might be too bright and the green is nice for the visited link but doesn't fit into the other two links color scheme. I can understand why you chose the green because you have a pale green background, maybe just change the shades a little bit! I like the fact that you have decided to keep the blue defualt link color as this is the link color a lot of people are used to and automatically identify with.

3. In terms of compatability the site is quite backwards compatible, I tested it in both Netscape and Explorer, you get a small JavaScript error in Netscape 3 but nothing to worry about as the site is still usable.

4. You have put ALT tags on your images but I suggest you rethink them. Your logo is fine but the other two are actually quite meaningless. If you close your eyes and just have the ALT tags read out to you do they make sense to someone who has never visited before - if the answer if yes then you know you have hit upon the right ALT tag!

5. I know you are still working on the site but it seems the biggest part if the forum so maybe you need to make that stand out more, also, do all the links need to poen in a new window? If people really don't want to leave your site they will bookmark it or open the link in a new window themselves, but don't force them to surf ina new window as Internet users are quite savvy and more than likely will just get annoyed!

6. Oh no, I had a quick peek at your code. What I saw was the result of a WYSIWYG editor adn it wasn't nice! Don't get me wrong site looks great but there will come a time when you wil need to sort out the code! A good example is this kind of line:
    <div align="center"><center>
    This is downloaded yet doesn't do anything. (Unless you have it there for a reason!)

All in all though very nice site, adn with a bit of work has got great potential. Once it is "finished" I suggest you revaluate your Meta tags and submit tot eh search engines!

Good Luck!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thank you for the very thought out and detailed review. I will take all of your suggestions into consideration and will look into changing the "clashing" border colors between sidebar and main text section. Good luck with your own web ventures... If anyone else has opinions on the site, please let me know. I have my work cut out for me already

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, we just added our high-speed Internet search feature to make us more of a "portal"...A link to it can be found at the top of the web site. Let me know what you think. The search feature is designed to compete with other high speed search pages like Raging Search or All The Web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís a clean site that loads fast but lack in holding my attention for more than a split second. I had to force myself to read itÖ Try adding a few pictures that help describe what you are convey. But as someone has said earlier in this post the site is good but so basic itís hard to go wrong with it.
    Neal Bailey..........| Email|ICQ 54338088
    Biz Websites .......| Lone Star Classics - Classic Cobra Replicas
    Personal Sites .....| Advanced GraF/X | Xtreme-OZ
    Artwork & Photos | Advanced GraF/X - Artwork

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webmaster2000,Your site looks very nice, I love the logo too. I agree with everyone else about the clashing border colors. They're ways to fix this. It would appear that what you are currently doing, is you have a large table divided into two sections: Main (on the left) and, Nav section which is on the right. You have all of this crazy border color stuff in there which seems kind of redundant.

------------------

<td width="183" bgcolor="#9BDEFF" bordercolor="#FCA443" bordercolorlight="#FCA443" bordercolordark="#FCA443" style="background-color: rgb(155,222,255); color: rgb(255,255,255); border: 2px solid rgb(252,164,67); padding: 2px">

------------------

Is an example.What you could do instead of having both sections having different colors is just have one color go around the outside of both, so their is nothing separating the two inside.

You would do this by placing that table inside of another table with a slightly larger width. An example tutorial of this can be found on the page http://www.webmastersland.com/main.shtml.

You can also do an effect which works only in IE (this may have changed with NS 6 but I'm not sure). Use the cellspacing function in the table code. Cellspacing="2" would suffice for width of the line you want around everything. Make the background of the table a black of different color, the for each TD section, assign a different background color, white or something. This would put a space in-between the cells and the table creating a border effect.

Hope this helps,Brian
    Last edited by MagnaNetwork; Feb 21, 2001 at 08:48.
    Brian Frye
    Webmaster - MagnaNetwork.com
    Headquarters for Webmaster Resources

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webmaster2000I like the layout, nice, clean and simple. One thing that I don't like is the different colored borders around the main tables. The blue and orange seem to draw my attention away from the main content of the page. I like everything else though. Andwise