SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to Take my Medicine

OK, so I've have this site up for several months and I have never posted it in a forum. I guess it's time to take my medicine and hear what you all have to say.

www.redesigningtheweb.com
    Last edited by seanf; May 7, 2004 at 13:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not too bad, you just need to polish it a little to make it look more professional.

The header is awfully dark, don't like the black. The web graphic is rather cliche as is the embossed effect on your logo.

Colored scroll bar looks bad.
    Your 3 steps boxes are nice but a little too large.

I think you went a little overboard in those boxes with the color. For example: the "+" make it one color same with the drop cap effects.

Make your main content text thin columns, not spread the entire width of the page, too hard to read.

Try to get more of your content above the fold.

SitePoint Addict AdvancedWebRank's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HY,
    Please do your text in bleak letters it wiil be more easy to read. Thanks!
    Your site is nice, clear and easy to navigate, but if you dont mind i have a few sugestions:
    -do your design more brightness, it's too dark it kills me
    -to much information in one page, try to split it in more pages.
    -add some suggestive images or icons to your services.
    -make your visitors to want to see the other pages.
    -try to change the color of the active menu (that very light green)
    -try to get some help from someone who's using Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator to improve the quality of your images (that you already have on your site), your customers will realise that you are professional - not a "novice"
    Hope it helps!
    Monica Rotaru

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad site, I would not put so much content on the first page because people just don't scroll "below the fold" I like the green and white color scheme, the black in the header looks a little omnious.

Nice job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like how it takes up the whole browser. I like to have some cleanness around the actual page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviewed on win 2000, Firefox 0.8, IE 5.01

Nice job so far on the site.

It's good and quick to load in the browser, always a plus... and the marketing text is pretty good. That being said, I do agree with previous posters, the header and logo graphics are too dark and a little old-web-fashioned looking. Same thing with the colored-scrollbars.

I like the "Step 1,2,3" idea but I wonder if you should arrange them down the page instead of across. You have to scroll down then back up again to read them.

Also, the site is a little lean on graphics... it's going to be a tough sell to customers if they can't see what you're capable of...

Good luck with it, I look forward to additional updates on it.

-Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monica Rotaru,

Not sure what you mean by "do your text in bleak letters"

The font family I am using is:

font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

With a font size of:

font-size: 13px;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boringguy
    Reviewed on win 2000, Firefox 0.8, IE 5.01
    I like the "Step 1,2,3" idea but I wonder if you should arrange them down the page instead of across. You have to scroll down then back up again to read them.

-Rich
    I mocked up a page that I would like you to look at in regards to this posting. I'm not sure I like it, but I thought I would see what you think.

Thanks for your help

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 2nd one better ... but I would crunch down each of the 3 steps to make them smaller ... and would try to make them 1 item per box ... it seems more confusing to have 3 steps with 2 substeps in each box.

A few other small things I noticed ...

- Having the Makeovers section separate from your Portfolio may cause some confusion ... I clicked on the Portfolio link, and then wondered where the redesigned sites are

- Not really a fan of the black background ... I think changing it to light grey (#CCC?) would make the site look more professional

- I find its usually a good idea to copy your navigation (in text form) at the bottom of the pages ... so you could put a
    Home | Redesigns | Templates ...
    kind of structure in the footer of each page.

- This last one is probably just my weird way of looking at things ... so please don't be too offended But your logo there at the top looks like the guy is taking a wiz on your company name At least, that was my first reaction. Heheh I'm probably just weird

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressions this second one is a vast improvement over the first version layout wise, the 2 columns look nice and served one of my earlier suggestion of getting more content above the fold.

The 3 easy steps are still too big. emmzee's suggestion of 1 per box (for a total of 6 steps) would serve to make these smaller and less confusing.

Be sure to address the other issues above and you are well on your way!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The second design is very good, and makes the content look much more organized.

- I make a separate page for the testimonials, but it looks like you're out of room.

- The re-design gallery thumbnails are a bit over optimized in my opinion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're on the right track, but I think you need to polish it up and give it a more professional look if you want to attract professional clients.

First impressions:
    - The colour scheme kinda makes me think of a warez site. There's just something about the green and black combination that rubs me the wrong way. Though, if you don't want to change the colours, I would suggest using less green in the main navigation, because it just takes over the whole design too much.
    - The three boxes seem way too big. When I first see a web design site, I like all the important information to be compact and easy to read, because I don't want to spend a lot of time figuring out what the site has to offer.
    - Like someone else mentioned, the layout is too big. I don't think it should extend all the way to the edge of the browser, because it's awfully tiring on the eyes. One of the main things to remember about text on the web is that it should be kept in block of no more than 400-450 pixels wide, otherwise the reader will get tired and move on to somewhere else.
    - You have quite a bit of content, which is great. It just needs to be re-organized in smaller bits.
    - Oh, and I'm not crazy about the 2 or 3 px lines on your about page. 1 px lines would give it a lighter, more professional feel.
    - Your screen shots in the portfolio look crappy. Dithering is terrible on them. I don't know whether it's the picture quality that's very poor, or what...

Overall, it looks like a good start though.