User Tag List

Thread: Feedback please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback please

Hi,

Just finished my new graphic design website called fusion-gfx.net, was wondering if anyone had any feedback / constructive criticism on it?

Its mostly about corporate design eg logos / brochures etc

Please click link below for website:

http://www.fusion-gfx.net

Cheers
    Last edited by Simon_J; May 6, 2004 at 13:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get rid of the spash page. I always click skip or leave the site when I see those. I think a lot of other people do to.
    ~Ninja

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't necessarily get rid of it. For MOST sites, yes, I would say kill the splash page. But since this site is for web/graphic design, I would say leave it. Since there are so many design places out there, you really want to "wow" your visitor, and by having a flash into it at least demonstrates that the company has proficiency in flash design.

Anyways. I'm not a fan of black backgrounds but here I think it works okay. I would make the buttons on the left side bigger, with larger text. The button text is kind of hard to read for me at 1024x768 ... at higher resolutions they would be really small.

I would also suggest that you put your list of services on your front page instead of on the Services page (or in addition to the services page). When people come to the site, they probably want to know if you are able to do what they want. I'm thinking that 99% of the people who come to the front page of your site will skip the 3 paragraphs of text and immediately look for your list of services, so why not put it on the front page?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviewed using Opera 7.50.

First Impressions

Why do designers insist on feeding their own ego with the use of animated flash? I have yet to be given one justifiable reason for this in the countless years I've been asking for one.

At that stage, had I not have been reviewing the site, I would have turned back. Feel free to waste your own time, but mine is a little more important to me, being my guiding philosophy in such acts of internet graffiti.

Layout & Presentation

It takes a very talented and creative designer to make black background webpages into something you want to continue looking at. In this case, that has failed -- miserably.

Worse still, the site commits the cardinal sin of using white text on a black background. Someone please show me anywhere on product packages or general and successful consumer packaging where this is the case. There is a good reason for it not being so. The colours vibrate against the eye making it very difficult and tiresome to try reading.

Mix the above sin with the use of the extremely bright purple which is so large and bright that it keeps pulling my eye to the top-left, and you have yourself an incredibly hard to read and use website.

The header graphic is unforgivably poor, given that you are trying to sell graphic design solutions, in my view.

In at least three key areas, you invite me to browse your portfolio. In at least three key areas it leads to a blank page.

Use of Colour

I've gone from just reviewing a site with the best use of colour I have seen in a long time to this which undoubtedly has the worst use of colour I have seen in a long time. It felt like I had returned to watching TRON or something equally as uninviting.

Almost all the colours clashed with each other. Certainly seems like a case of designing for the designer, not designing for the visitor.

Rating

If I had to rate this site: 2.5/10. A total rethink required in my view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lose the "best viewed with..." You should make your site so that statement is not required.

I see black, red, blue, purple, yellow, and white all used here. It takes a very talented designer to make that many colors work. Stick with 2 colors and make your variety come in using variations for example blue and white and use different shades of blue.

Don't use all bold text for your body copy, all bold is hard to read and cause the places you should use bold to lose their effectiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_J
    Hi,

Just finished my new graphic design website called fusion-gfx.net, was wondering if anyone had any feedback / constructive criticism on it?

Its mostly about corporate design eg logos / brochures etc

Please click link below for website:

http://www.fusion-gfx.net

Cheers

i would make it look a little bit more clean if i were you.
    Powerful Scripts, Finest Zone, Recommended Hosting, Good Forums, iGraphic Designs
    10,000 hits unique sites (i will link exchange/pm me)We still have space for ads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dislike the header. the logo doesnt look professional, which is probaby not a good thing, considering you are a logo maker.

could i do any better? no. but you probably could

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Simon,

I would say i liked the intro section, the animated flash one...this site is about graphics and it gives a good impression.

I was really very impressed with the load time...your pages load extremely fast!

I liked the logo...but could not understand the use of your logo again below the menu in the left column...what do u want to convey? Is it just a fill-up?

As with the black background, though i agree that it is difficult to read but you still can keep it as your site is about providing design solutions. But i would add that it would only work when you use other colours very intelligibly. At present, you have used colours like red, blue, green, yellow all on one page(portfolio) which is really very jarring. I will again point out that an intelligent mix of colours is a pre-requisite for a graphic design site.

Anyways a nice attempt,
    Cheers,
    Charu.
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id like to say a big thank you to everyone here who has taken the time to review my website.

I have taken onboard everything you have said and will probably just patch one or two things on the current site before embarking on an entirely new one.

The suggestion that 'this many colors is hard to pull off effectively' made alot of sense, in the new site perhaps only one or two will be sufficient.

I also found the comment about the difficulty to read the txt an interesting one, this is not something I want on my website so that will have be looked into. It is a little supprising to hear that as my girlfriend is dyslexic she had no difficulty whatsoever in reading it. She indeed a harsh critic so should have pointed a problem out, very strange

Thanks again all of you for your excellent responses

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly agree on this point: "I wouldn't necessarily get rid of it. For MOST sites, yes, I would say kill the splash page. But since this site is for web/graphic design, I would say leave it. Since there are so many design places out there, you really want to "wow" your visitor, and by having a flash into it at least demonstrates that the company has proficiency in flash design."

It's true that some site can get away with a flash splash page while other can not. My I suggest adding sound music. I know it will add to the file size, but I think it will be worth it.

I did find that many of the buttons and rollover produced glitchy (sp?) effects. And some effects took me a while to figure out. For example the rollover effect on the touch-up page. Didn't realize what this page was trying to show me. This can be a hard one. Maybe try to make it more obvious what you are trying to display. Like instead of having the rollover effect on the picture, have a couple of buttons labeled "before" and "After". That way it is perfectly clear to the end user.

Well. I'm sure there is more, but I got to go. Good luck and nice work by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of 'before' and 'after' buttons, I didnt notice there would be any confusion whilst designing it, however from an 'outside' perspective viewing the site for the first time this is a good point.

Thanks again for your feedback