SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.josharonoff.com ---- please review

Hello, all. My name is Josh Aronoff and I am looking for a job in Pittsburgh right now in web or print design, this is my portfolio site...

http://www.josharonoff.com

if you could please review it. I want to get feedback from people, I have got some from friends, but I want some from people I dont even know. Give me some suggestions, I won't say I will go with them, but I just might, pretty flexible. But if you suggest something, please suggest why like the theory behind it.

ALso, when you critique, please explain in detail your opinion. I want to know why you feel a certain way, not just that you like it or don't. be critical. But, if you like it, than tell me as well. haha

-josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks a little scary for a porfolio...
    Powerful Scripts, Finest Zone, Recommended Hosting, Good Forums, iGraphic Designs
    10,000 hits unique sites (i will link exchange/pm me)We still have space for ads

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAronoff
    I won't say I will go with them, but I just might, pretty flexible.
    The obvious answer to that is, I won't say I will review it, but I might, I'm pretty flexible, but not to the point of wasting my time completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a space between the nav bar and the wide image that doesnt look right. if you could remove that, i think it would look much nicer

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one big head staring at you when you first come to the site. Its so large compared to the navigation and everything else on the page. Its rather disorienting ... hmm when I reload the image is different. Well, I'm taking about the one with the big head on the right side. The other pics are generally nice.

Since there is no "Home" button, the "JoshAronoff.com" link at the top of the page should link back to the front page of your site. Also I would put "Josh Aronoff - Web and Print Designer" somewhere in big type on your front page, so when someone comes to the site they immediately know your name and what you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JAronoff,

I would like to comment on the image which you have used on homepage. Don't you think it is slightly big? I will also point out why i do not recommend it as you have asked...See when i went to your site, the image instantly caught my attention, so instead of observing other things, i started observing the image itself...but that is not what you wan't...do you?

I liked the rollovers and links in the menu bar...would be better to highlight them a little more...to attract attention...The name of the site also deserves a liitle more maybe in tems of font size or colour whatever u think...presently it is looking as just another link...

I think these things will matter as u have set forth to design other websites yourself...I can't say whether my comments will help u...but would like to wish u best of luck for your endeavour...

Charu.
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

SitePoint Addict AdvancedWebRank's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hy

Hy Josh,
    I like your site its nice and clear but there are manny things that you schoud work.
    -your logo at the front page it really shoud reflect your skils-design.
    -as a designer you shoud meke your design not to use pictures made by other, or modify them.
    -You provide website design and update? Why dont you show that in your site by making your front page look a little bit professional. Do the design to convince the customers that you ar a good designer and not a simple person who whant to do that like a hoby.
    -wiyh your big images you losse to much space. This space can be used for your intersts. You wroute in the front page " If you are an employer, or anyone else interested, please review my portfolio section...", it is not profesional. Like a simple person after a read that i whanted to live... It simply scares me becouse it sound that you never do that...
    -in the front page you shoud describe more the services you provide, you shoud make the customers whant to visit the other pages.
    -"Right now, there is nothing there, but I hope to add things as time goes on."
    Don't say that "hope"-you shoud say like that--"I wil add more things in the future."
    Hope this will help you.
    Monica Rotaru

Do you need to now your website ranking in search engines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Index took forever to load.

You did a lot of things graphically that could have been done with html and css such as your navigation. Thta alone would decrease load time.

You should go back through your copy as there are some typos.

You have an external style sheet but are not using it to its fullest potential by setting a lot of styles in the code itself rather than in the style sheet, this again would help on the load time.

Your site left me feeling dull and bland, nothing stands out to impress a potential employer to make them remember you. Your site struck me as unprofessional, not the work of some one with a BS in graphic design.

I am assuming you took all the photos in your site? If so you have quite an eye for photography, that seems to be your strong point and is where I think you might want to consider concentrating your energy and career goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think the images are way too big. And if you keep refreshing, you get even MORE huge pictures. And the one with the eyes? ACK!

It would look SO much better if you pulled away a good bit with the camera, taking shots futher away. If all of those were changed, I think that would improve your site 100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sp0om
    there is a space between the nav bar and the wide image that doesnt look right. if you could remove that, i think it would look much nicer
    yeah i need to fix that.... For some reason, on pcs it has a gap, but in safari, it looks fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Angel
    I too think the images are way too big. And if you keep refreshing, you get even MORE huge pictures. And the one with the eyes? ACK!

It would look SO much better if you pulled away a good bit with the camera, taking shots futher away. If all of those were changed, I think that would improve your site 100%.
    I think the eyes one is a bit distracting, I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS

You did a lot of things graphically that could have been done with html and css such as your navigation. Thta alone would decrease load time.

You have an external style sheet but are not using it to its fullest potential by setting a lot of styles in the code itself rather than in the style sheet, this again would help on the load time.

Your site left me feeling dull and bland, nothing stands out to impress a potential employer to make them remember you. Your site struck me as unprofessional, not the work of some one with a BS in graphic design.

I am assuming you took all the photos in your site? If so you have quite an eye for photography, that seems to be your strong point and is where I think you might want to consider concentrating your energy and career goals.
    I agree with you on some things... I think I could change the logo, as well as some emphasis taken away from the pics. yes, I did take all the pictures. I am a graphic designer first. Photographer second. I don't want to be a photographer, I want to do graphic design. The comment you made about my site looking unproffessional, I dont know what you could consider unprofessional. and I will definitely fix the typos....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdvancedWebRank
    Hy Josh,
    I like your site its nice and clear but there are manny things that you schoud work.
    -your logo at the front page it really shoud reflect your skils-design.
    -as a designer you shoud meke your design not to use pictures made by other, or modify them.
    -You provide website design and update? Why dont you show that in your site by making your front page look a little bit professional. Do the design to convince the customers that you ar a good designer and not a simple person who whant to do that like a hoby.
    -wiyh your big images you losse to much space. This space can be used for your intersts. You wroute in the front page " If you are an employer, or anyone else interested, please review my portfolio section...", it is not profesional. Like a simple person after a read that i whanted to live... It simply scares me becouse it sound that you never do that...
    -in the front page you shoud describe more the services you provide, you shoud make the customers whant to visit the other pages.
    -"Right now, there is nothing there, but I hope to add things as time goes on."
    Don't say that "hope"-you shoud say like that--"I wil add more things in the future."
    Hope this will help you.
    Monica Rotaru

Do you need to now your website ranking in search engines?
    I completely agree with you about the copy being a it unproffesional. I need to work on my writing skills. I am checking out other portfolio sites, to see how they handle copy and the such. You are absolutely right about the "hope" thing, that definitely shows a lack of motivation, I should use action words. hahah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Angel

I will definitely keep that in mind. I want to add some better photos, and I am going to do it soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also remember, "professional" doesn't always mean the look of a web site. Usability, loading time, coding are also things which give a site the "professional" feel. At least from a web designers point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Also remember, "professional" doesn't always mean the look of a web site. Usability, loading time, coding are also things which give a site the "professional" feel. At least from a web designers point of view.
    Your right, which browser are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emmzee
    That is one big head staring at you when you first come to the site. Its so large compared to the navigation and everything else on the page. Its rather disorienting ... hmm when I reload the image is different. Well, I'm taking about the one with the big head on the right side. The other pics are generally nice.

Since there is no "Home" button, the "JoshAronoff.com" link at the top of the page should link back to the front page of your site. Also I would put "Josh Aronoff - Web and Print Designer" somewhere in big type on your front page, so when someone comes to the site they immediately know your name and what you do.
    i have gotten multiple comments from people about the head being distracting, I am going to get rid of that image, I also might squish the image size down to 750 px by 250 because of spacing.

thanks for your comments. and I will change the web and print designer banner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAronoff
    Your right, which browser are you using?
    Hi,

I am using Firefox 0.8, Opera 7.11, and IE 6

btw: I loved your graphic design portfolio. You have great talent. I'm starting a dip. in Graphic Design very soon and can't wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your comments you have opened my eyes definitely to things I need to work on. I am going back through and changing some things around. THANKS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperX
    The obvious answer to that is, I won't say I will review it, but I might, I'm pretty flexible, but not to the point of wasting my time completely.
    <sarcastic>Thanks for your help. </sarcastic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Hi,

I am using Firefox 0.8, Opera 7.11, and IE 6

btw: I loved your graphic design portfolio. You have great talent. I'm starting a dip. in Graphic Design very soon and can't wait
    Thank you. That is very reassuring to here. I am getting discouraged trying to find work. What, pretell is a dip. in Graphic Design?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS

could you give me some suggestions to speed my site up, I know I need to re export some of the images, they are a bit big on the file size side. I am just starting to use css. What kind of things can I do with them, layout wise?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good

i think it's decent

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout of your website is ok but there a some bad points. The top banner is too blurry, it very hard to concentrate on the text. This is no contraste between the background color on the side the content so it looks a bit empty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting....
    The top banners on each page definately takes up 90% of my attention. The site overall is just different... not bad, but not traditional. That's fine as long as you understand it. The only thing is the smaller images take too long to load on the pages (when I clicked portfolio). But overall... nice.