SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review Mozdex.com 2.0

Migrating away from pure xslt parsed pages to something more xhtml compliant and easier to use on lynx and other browsers.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.mozdex.com

What colors would you recommend for the results display - especiall the blue bar that shows the keyword searched and count of results?

What font would you recommend for the results? Continue the same font from the home page just scaled down?

Thanks!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished the rest of the templates on the content, so everything should be css now and no more funky tables. (except for the search results of which we are working to optimize0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    looks mint now The colours look perfect

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviewed using Opera 7.50.

First Impressions

The site was remarkably quick to load over a 1MB connection. Immediately, I could see what the site's purpose was with the simple explanatory text "mozDex is a search engine that uses open source search technologies to create an open and fair index."

I also liked the "Need Help" which was prominently placed to guide me.

Layout & Presentation

The small image on the homepage worked well. Not too much and not too little. Without it, the page would have been supremely boring in my view.

The one thing that I wold perhaps consider changing is the alignment of the header. To me it looked ill-fitting and needed to be the same left-alignment as either the "Home" of the menu, or the left border of the box.

Choice of font and font size was impeccable in my view, making it easy to read and follow. Also helped by the fact that the text was short and concise, with paragraphs well broken.

However, I didn't find any TITLE tags attached to the links.

I feel that the spacemen image could have been carried onto each page to give a little more consistency and to break the text a little more.

On the page: http://208.37.26.120:8080/dmoz.html

The links at the bottom were very squashed together and the design seemed inconsistent with the other pages.

Colour Use

On the main pages, the blend of orange against white worked exceptionally well. However, I don't think the same can be said when viewing the search results. Because of the volume of text being read in the results, I feel a slightly darker orange would help, or perhaps a different font choice. As it is, it seemed a little rough and hard to distinguish. It could also be aided by having the (cached) (explain) (anchors) links in a different colour.

I would also like to have seen a use of the TITLE tag used in the search results.

Rating

If I had to rate this site: 8.5/10

Unauthorized Web Theologian emmzee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very good to me overall. Very clean design!

A couple suggestions:

- I agree with SniperX that the extensive use of orange links on the search results page is a bit too much. Maybe use traditional blue links for the links to the pages (the titles of the pages).

- The "cached" link is fairly self explanatory, but the "explain" and "anchors" pages should have some sort of "What is this?" text on them so people know what they're about ... a lot of people (naive users I mean, not webmasters and tech guys) are going to click on "explain" and then need an explanation of the explanation

- This may just be a personal preference, but I would make the "Next" button bigger, and put it on the right side of the page. From a usability standpoint, people read from left to right, so it would make sense that the link to continue to the next in the series should be on the right hand side. You may also want to consider putting page number links at the bottom of the page, and a "Previous" button on the left side, like Google uses on their search results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this site a lot! Nice clean design, super fast search engine and you seem to like my site quite well for my targeted key words and phrases!

I do agree with the above about orange links to an extent. I think using a different shade of orange is the answer though, not blue.

Do specify a background color for your pages as they are showing grey for me due to my Windows color settings which ruins an otherwise beuatiful site.

Great job!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

hi,
    looks fantastic ! great cartoon images ! Hope it goes as well as google.

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! The only thing that I might do is to lesson how much white space the page has at the top. Other wise, it's great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is awesome, perfect use of colors as well as a very simple to navigate layout.

My only gripe is that it looks like you and www.nutch.org are using the same image thing and color scheme (but your site looks better )

Edit:

whoa, and the same content too... your FAQs are exactly alike! Coincidence?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reminds me alot of google when you open the page.

The results seem a tad cartoony when reading. seems to look like it all runs together

but i still like the site