SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mikehowell, or anyone else in this forum seriously use Mask Pro 3.0 from Extensis, which is currently under onOne Software?
    I use maskpro and love it but like all software I have used, the best way to learn is just to play with it till you find the settings you like. I always seem to use the same transitions (Soft & More) and keep the brush setting about 3/4's of the way towards soft, and it works for me but probably not for the next man but I guess each to their own, but remember to select what colours you want to keep/discard if its fiddly work.

Just to keep the thread on line, my opinion is PS and FW are two entirely different progs for different tasks and neither is better than the other. I use FW for web and PS for image editing and as before, it works for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use fireworks for everything and even having photoshop at the side.. i have tried to play with it but i see it as i have more control over the object in fireworks, when i try to do something in photoshop i don't get that feeling... and then after that i start using fireworks again and that is why i have never really got into photoshop. but reading the other comments makes me think that is something in photoshop i have seen.. i 'll try to work more with it

HERE IS WHY I THINK LOL

http://www.communitymx.com/content/a....cfm?cid=A28E7

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Obvious
    Everyone agrees, Photoshop has more functionalities but it's hard to learn and because Fireworks is meant for web design and graphics it can be faster to make them in Fireworks.

The Truth For Layouts
    Photoshop is the reference tool for printing and photo retouch. Fireworks was not only build for web design, it was designed for simple use for graphic designers. That's were it hurts: It is good to generate some fixed graphics or some fixed layout for websites. Just the same mistake as Dreamweaver is frequently accused for. Creating a dynamic layout with CSS from Fireworks is far from trivial.

Let me explain this. All slices are saved likes you see them on the screen with all layers flattened. There's no way meant to extract some layer as one file, the background as another, the buttons background as two files (background + right or left cap), or to define borders as CSS styles, and so on. It's not friendly to create resizeable layouts like websites should be.

For that I usually prefer Photoshop, or even Illustrator some times.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use Photoshop for all my web design as it is more powerful than fireworks and can easily create web safe JPEGs. The only thing I use fireworks for is for slicing up prototype web pages because i save them as whole JPEGs as only the buttons need to rollover just to give the client an idea of what the site will look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm comfortable using Photoshop but I also tried using Fireworks and its a great graphic software too.

SitePoint Enthusiast abercrombie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd add that photoshop is more for photographers and those that need to manipulate images. fireworks has tools geared more toward quick results for graphic and web designers.