SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help me get MSDE SP3a installed on Win Server 2003

I've tried every which way I can from the docs and but I can't seem to get MSDE to install correctly. Found out that Win2003 only runs SP3a, downloaded and tried it.

tried these different commands from the prompt:
    Code:
    setup SAPWD="xxxxx" INSTANCENAME="xxxxx" TARGETDIR="xxxx" (from MSDE2000 only)
    setup /upgradesp sqlrun INSTANCENAME="xxxxx" DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 (after installing MSDE2000 first)
    setup INSTANCENAME="xxxxx" SAPWD="xxxxx" (straight from MSDE2000 SP3a)
    Services shows that the SQL agent and the MSSQL$xxxx running. MSSQLServerADHelper is not running. The Service Manager isn't showing any services in the tray nor does it have the little green arrow. I can't connect to anything with Enterprise Manager either.

What do I need to do? Please note, I'm a totally complete noob with SQL admin and set up...

Thanks...

PS: and note that I'm in the correct directory with the installer and the xxxx are the correct instances and pw's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same problem. I have the tray icon, but without the PLAY arrow, and when I type "localhost" into the the Service Manager, it says "The network path was not found."

I installed it with the string:
    Code:
    Setup.exe /qb+ INSTANCENAME=NetSDK DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1 SAPWD=<YOUR SA PASSWORD>
    This is the setup string specified in "Using MSDE 2000 With the .NET Framwork SDK..." writup on Microsoft's site.

I'm at a loss...
    Nate
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I got it to find the network path by using the computer name, but the services drop-down is empty.

???
    Nate
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found that if i went into and typed "computername/sqlinstancename" into the server field, the green arrow shows up. everything works fine. i found that others have/had the same issue on Win2k3 with MSDE. never found a fix to it, but since it works...