SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my PPC!

Please review my month old PPC -> [removed]

Its been getting a good amount of visitors, so I dont know if the design is good or maybe the content is or anything else. And as I get good traffic I dont bother to change the design.

Tho I need suggestions to make it better.

Hows the logo, color scheme etc...? Anything that I need to modify to look better ?

Thanks
    Last edited by openXS; Mar 5, 2005 at 22:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OpenXS,

Personally the design seems good to me.

My main problem with your site is that I don't really get what it's about, or what kind of web site it is...in fact I'd appreciate you explaining that to me.

I have a bit of a problem with you calling your ads 'top listings' this is somewhat misleading.

Perhaps you should add a paragraph at the top of your page explaining what your site is about cause your tag line:

xs to more info, more money
    Isn't clear 'xs' could be taken as excess not access as i believe you want it to mean.

Also you page title (using the same tagline) is equally enigmatic.

I think those are my main comments for now, I hope you take my comments in good spirits.

-Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree,
    Also I think you should move the slogan and "SearchXS" a bit to the right of the logo, it looks a little crunched together.

Other than that it looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good design. I like it very much. It is clean and simple, but doesnt look like all the information is crowded to gether. I like it lots.
    My Designs Velocity Designs
    My Newest Creation Skin & Bone

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with kajax101, with regards to now having the first clue what the site is about or what its core purpose is. Other considerations are as follows:

Layout

It all seems a little 'patched together' to me. (Bear in mind I use Opera to test websites on.) At first, I assumed it to be a pure CSS designed website. I was a little suprised to learn it was designed with tables. For such a simple layout, tables could easily have been avoided.

I'm not quite sure whether the orange tops on the grey bar areas are an accident or are deliberate. If it's the latter then I woud argue that they just look plain out of place.

Further, the centre table, with the links in appears to have a thick border on the left and right edges, giving it a thich and stodgy appearance.

On the affiliates page, the login box caption has a border to the right, but not on the left. (Again, bear in mind this is Opera 7.50) It also has a small orange vertical rectangle above it, which seems to serve no purpose whatsoever.

Colours

On the main table, the links are an orange colour, yet on the "Top Listing", they are default blue. A small matter but consistency does help ease of use.

On the FAQ, I personally find the orange links against the browny/grey colour a little difficult to read.

Overall, I don't think the colours work well together. Orange and grey/neutral colours just don't work in my view.

Presentation

Immediately I noticed there was no sign of a 'Contact' in case the user runs into any problems.

Because of the misaligned borders, lack of border contrast between the site content and the actual page, it gives the appearance to me that the site has been quickly thrown together. Worse still it looks like it's been thrown together to make money, without any real thought having gone into the person who might use such a site.

I don't see anything new and original at all. And if the site is, what it appears to be, a search site, then I don't really understand its purpose either. There are other sites that are bigger and better at performing this function, surely?

Rating
    If I had to rate it overall, I'd give it a 5/10.

SitePoint Enthusiast wildekyote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site looks good but needs work. Definately need padding added everywhwere Text sits on borders and nearly ontop of itself. Makes it difficult to read and looks thrown together.
    Not totally certain as to what the site if used for. Need to clear that up more.
    This is my personal preference but I think the script you use to prevent people from going back is highly annoying. So much so that I will never return to sites with them. Anything that forces me to do something against my will, never gets another chance. I understand you can go back by the history but it's a hassle.
    Overall I think the site is a great start but only half done.
    You only regret the risks you didn't take.

Keith Andersen.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (My G/f just clicked the mouse and erased the intire review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

ok...

Pros:

1/ Loved the websites compact nature, retrained so no graphical distortion whatever the resolution of user.

2/ Font was very clear (this is a strong point)

3/ Color scheme was very subtle and not in your face, a clean site to view. (also logo very pleasant on the eyes)

Cons:

1/ NEVER NEVER NEVER use a trap script to hold potential customers on a site, they 'will' leave and probably never return out of principle if nothing else.

2/ The website is unclear as to what it offers, the name alone is not descriptive enough. You need a brief intro of some kind as to what you are about (possibly flash if small enough)

3/ The name XS suggests to me 'Excess' meaning 'too much' rather than 'Access' which you might want i am unsure.

Hope this helps m8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inconsistent color scheme, looks pieced together as mentioned above, need padding for text, etc.

Disabling the back button, what were you thinking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think of xs as excess , but maybe thats just becuase on INXS
    Web Slave

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design however I feel that you may have a bit of too much white space. Also links could be a bigger as well.

Good luck !

TW

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top listings is very vague and rathernot appropriate. they seem to be host sites anyways, so title should say, "Top Hosts" the top listings are also very cramped.

but the contetn pages are very nice looking. color scheme on those and spacing is perfect. (perfect can aways be improved though) nice font size, padding, alt bg colors, etc..

although using sessions is not the best idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the site very clean... nice work!!!
    Powerful Scripts, Finest Zone, Recommended Hosting, Good Forums, iGraphic Designs
    10,000 hits unique sites (i will link exchange/pm me)We still have space for ads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of xs as excess
    hmm..what can I do to make it reas "ACCESS" ? any idea ?

btw : I loved your suggestion adn working to improve my site a bit...