SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry MySQL fails to launch on Mac OSX command error

I just bought kevin Yanks "build your own database driven website using php & MySQL" and I was going step by step on the installation process for Mac OSX users. After I installed MySQL and attempted to login using the:

shell%sudo/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe

command i get this error:

[Denise-Womacs-Computer:~] denisewo% shell%sudo/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe
    shell%sudo/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: Command not found.

How do I get MySQL to run?... please help
    thanks,
    denise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've done it with the space... without the space... i tried it all and it still wont work....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the error when you use sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe ?

By the way, my generic instructions on installing anything from instructions in a book is to toss the instructions in the book and use the software's website instead.

By the time a book is printed, there is a very good chance that either MySQL or OSX has changed which may mean that the directions in the book are out of date. Not really a fault of the book exactly, sort of a limitation of the medium.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

thanks .. i got the sudo /user/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe to work ... now I ran into another problem. I downloaded php and when I was about to test it and I was looking for the file php.ini on my Mac OsX for the life of me i can not find that file. I even searched it and the search came up with no results... is this test crap an important test? how bad do i need that file?
    thanks again
    denise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    php.ini is not essential, you use it to override default php settings.

The php that comes with OSX does not have a php.ini file but you can create one if you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot sam ... you've been helpful.... so i have one more question.. ha. Ummm I created a password for my root file and then i tried to go through the admin process and login using my password and it said that my password was wrong. But I know I typed it correctly. What can I do? I want to try to uninstall all the mysql versions i have downloaded and all php i downloaded and start from scratch, is there any way for me to do this that you know of? Thanks again... i should have bought you an x-mas present
    denise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you make the password the first time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i set my password by how the book told me:

1. mysql -u root mysql

2. mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD ("new password")
    ->WHERE User="root";
    3.mysql>FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

The password worked once..and then after that it wouldnt go through for me anymore. And then it wouldnt even let me attempt to connect. Then I uploaded the 4.1 version of mysql and now when I try to load it it says this:

[Denise-Womacs-Computer:~] denisewo% sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root mysql
    Password:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

know whats wrong???