SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice related to database design

Hey everyone. I'm embarking on creating a website and want to get some advice related to its creation. I already have the front-end design done and it's great but now I'm looking to do the back-end development and realize that I don't possess the technical expertise to do it myself. I'm planning to contract it out but want to make sure I'm heading down the right path.

My site will be a directory of audio and video learning resources from a number of different providers. When a user comes to the site they will have the option to go into any of a number of categories (and sub-categories) or to search from among the entries. We expect to have several thousand titles available with each title having its own page showing a picture of the title, information about it and displaying a link to a third-party website where the visitor could purchase the title. I would also like to allow visitors to the site to rate and/or review titles.

Essentially what I'm envisioning for the technology is "Amazon lite". It obviously won't be as robust and full-featured as what Amazon has developed but I think the general functionality and look and feel will be somewhat similar. Having said all this, I have the following questions:

1. What approximately would something like this cost to have developed? Part of me thinks that this should be fairly inexpensive given the number of different sites currently doing something similar. Maybe there's even an off-the-shelf solution available (if anyone can think of one, please let me know). On the other hand, maybe this is more complex that I imagine.

2. What would be a good route to go down to get it developed? I've sourced a few projects recently through ELance and have been very happy with the results. However, I'm a bit nervous to do that with this project given its potential scope. I have a few "local" people that could probably do this.

3. Any thoughts on the best platform for developing something like this in. My gut tells me MySQL/PHP might make the most sense and be the most cost-effective. However, I haven't done much development work so I'm not entirely sure?

Well, I have other questions but for now I'll leave it at that. Thanks in advance for any help with this. I really, really appreciate it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you are in the wrong forum. You should have posted this thread in the General Development forum rather than here. Here we discuss problems/solutions relating to Files/XML/Databases while you are asking a general advise on development of website.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Thanks for moving this. I'm not sure how that happened.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute, it looks like it actually got moved from GD to F/X/D (rather than the other way around as I first thought). I agree with asp_funda that this is more of a GD issue. Can someone move it back?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just PM one of the advisors & explain it to them. They'll move it.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!