SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to web design, need opinions

I would really appreciate any feedback at all for www.computertruths.com (reviews site). I'm fairly new in the web design world, so I would really appreciate comments and *constructive* criticism

Oh, and yes the "Please Visit Our Sponsors" thing is pushing down the whole design, but it works so whatever

Also, if you could look at the forums I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Cheeser; May 4, 2004 at 01:58.

SitePoint Enthusiast snowman2004's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice site with a generally good look and feel. If I had to criticise the site, it would be as follows.......

1) the middle panel of the home page looks very uninviting. You need to put far more there to get my interest.

2) The use of orange throughout is a bit overpowering. Could you take some of it away or make it paler?

3) I don't think it is necesary to have a 'reviews home' link as well as links to different types of reviews. Either change it or remove it to avoid confusion

4) I'm not sure you need forum/ login / register. You just need a 'forum' link - most forums I've used let you in once you registered, without logging in each time.

I hope you find this helpful...........

Ray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman2004
    1) the middle panel of the home page looks very uninviting. You need to put far more there to get my interest.
    I will be adding more content as soon as I get the forums, review, and news system up. I will also be adding small graphics as well.
    2) The use of orange throughout is a bit overpowering. Could you take some of it away or make it paler?
    yes, my color control is all in a css file (edit: do you mean the background color or the table colors?)
    3) I don't think it is necesary to have a 'reviews home' link as well as links to different types of reviews. Either change it or remove it to avoid confusion
    Yes, I thought of that too. I started editing the page and then I was like "wait, why does this page exist"
    4) I'm not sure you need forum/ login / register. You just need a 'forum' link - most forums I've used let you in once you registered, without logging in each time.
    Yes, but the login system will be for the site as well. The idea is that an unregistered individual can see up to one review from each category a day (or something to the effect of this) and if you register you can access as many as you want whenever you want. as well as the forums and such

Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by Cheeser; May 4, 2004 at 13:12.

SitePoint Enthusiast atotalstranger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General architecture of site has a solid, structured feel - like the centered design. Font is good. Couple of issues:

1) Agree that the orange is way too much - especially the background. The yellow-orange background is okay, but the bright orange is very jarring, distracting, and generally hard on the eyes.

2) The home page is too plain - it needs something more to draw people in. It needs to stand out more and the first thing my eye should be drawn to is what your site does for me/what it's about. Not sure exactly how you can achieve this - maybe more interesting graphics - make the headings stand out more... A product review site needs to make people feel that your opinion means something and it needs to make them want to check out the site. Just not getting that.

3) The banner is kind of distracting because it is the one thing on the page that draws the eye and the pattern on the banner doesn't seem to have any purpose/relation to the content.

Definite potential - take a look at some other review sites that you like the look of - analyze exactly what elements they've used to achieve this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it.

I'm not going to be able to update for a little bit, but I'll try to employ these suggestions asap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice and simple layout, looks good.

I'll add to the other's reviews by suggesting you use silvery colors to replace your orange troughout your pages, I think it will look great, be smoother to the eye, and would still match very well with your banner.

I could take another look when your done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great.

I love the colors. Orange is an underused color on the internet these days, unless it's in combination with the microsoft blues.

One thing I would work on is creating more inviting text. Header is cool - Orange is cool - CSS is cool.

Nice Job

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice looking site cheeser.

However you talk about css and standards compliancy, but looking at your code you are still not using css to its maximum potential.

For example those arrows to the left of the main links could be chucked in as a background of the links in the css instead of putting the images in. Also the layout itself could be easily transformed into div's and will probably leave you with a little less layout code.

Sorry if I am very picky and I know my suggestions wouldn't make much of a difference to the look of the site.

BTW Congratulations on getting it Strict compliant

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviewed using Opera 7.50.

First Impressions

Site was exceptionally quick to load over a 1MB connection, though it should be stressed that is/was very little to be loading at this point.

The first most glaringly obvious downside is the quality of the header. The text "computertruths.com" is almost impossible to distinguish from the image behind it. In addition to this, the header image just doesn't seem to have any relational context to the purpose of the site.

In addition, one can't help but get a little orange-sickness too from the designer's over-indulgence of the one colour. It is my view that a successful site contains around three to four key colours as opposed to relying on the one.

Layout & Presentation

At first, I thought this had to be a pure CSS site, given the very 'boxey' appearance. I was a little suprised to view the code and see tables in use. If the designer is intent on using this simple and no-frills layout then it would perhaps benefit from a total css conversion.

The dark orange box containing the main text didn't seem to make sense. If it was there to draw attention to a particular point, it would make sense. However, it seemed to serve only as a sub-container within a container that would have served the purpose without it.

The mix of normal, bold and italic text within the homepage must certainly be addressed so as to make reading and digesting a little easier.

However, this is only the second site that I have reviewed today where correct use of the TITLE tag on text links has been used! Hoorah for that!

The copyright area at the bottom clearly needs some attention, as it isn't quite centered and instead leans to the right a little. The designer has also made the rather odd choice of of using "ToS", as opposed to Terms of Service, or even "Terms". This can only serve to make the site appear amateur and 'knocked together' as opposed to designed.

The display of the "Valid CSS, Valid xHTML(sic), etc" strikes me as pointless, merely feeding the ego of the designer, as opposed to serving any user purpose. In addition, the designer is actually giving not one exit point for visitors but two, by providing these external links.

Further, the author has felt the need to mention his site at the forefront of the page titles. Why do people do this? If they know your name, they will undoubtedly know your URL too. If they don't then they will never know to search upon it in the first place. A page title should accurately describe the content of the page. (I'm thinking of adding this to my signature it is so common an error!)

Colour Use

As has already been touched upon, this is one area where the site needs the most attention. A single colour has little chance of being visually appealing for more than but a few very small seconds.

Suggested Improvements

1. Expand the layout or convert it to pure CSS.
    2. Consider a new colour theme, comprising of at least two colours, preferably three or four.
    3. Rethink the ToS wording and correct the misaligned centering of the footer.
    4. Reduce the reliance on italics, bold and normal text within such a short span of text.
    5. Rethink page titles.
    6. Use correct semantics such as <p> for display purposes.

Rating

If I had to rate this site: 4/10. It needs a lot of attention to some quite basic details but it has potential with only a small amount of effort required. More content would not go amiss, though it is appreciated that it is unfinished at time of review.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

hi,
    great site. Try using a few other different colour schemes and post them back on here. A nice grey and white site in that design would also look excellent. Overall looks great nice feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm going to be making some changes, so reviewing the site during editing will be worthless until I get it right. Just a heads up
    Edit:

i'm thinking of changing the header totally and putting up a rotoscoped computer (done in flash) with "Computer Truths - Honest Software and Hardware Reviews" or something like that Once that's done I'll convert to divs and change up the colors. Then I'll work on the content stuff.

**EDIT** K, here's my first try at the rotoscoped part, it will have text later of course
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cheeser; May 6, 2004 at 12:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://computertruths.com

I need to change the sidebar colors to a lighter grey as well as make them extend to the footer, but it's a start. The forums are redone as well. Tell me what you think