User Tag List

Thread: New Virus?

La la la la la bronze trophy lieut_data's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Virus?

I've had three customers today, all running WinXP, using Internet Explorer.

They can connect (PPPoe) fine, but launching Internet Explorer they receive "Page Cannot Be Displayed', or "Internet Explorer cannot open the search page".

Ok, no problem, DNS or IP problem -- but they can ping websites / DNS servers fine. Ok, so maybe spyware / firewall related.

After testing their IP / DNS via Start->Run->cmd->ping..., I ask them to go back to Start->Run, and they receive an error "Windows cannot create a shortcurt here.".

OK... Repeating the step brings the same results. One of my customers managed to get into the Run box, but when she tried executing 'cmd', or even 'command', she received an error "cmd / command is not a valid Windows 32 executable". Repeating, she received an error "There is insufficient quota to perform the operation".

Three customers so far -- they are all going to have their computers checked out, but I wouldn't mind figuring it out what it is...

Any suggestions?
    My name is Steve, and I'm a super-villian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure does sound like a virus. I haven't heard anything like this though. I would check SARC (www.symantec.com) for any kind of info. It is never cool to be the first to discover a virus

La la la la la bronze trophy lieut_data's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marycp
    Sure does sound like a virus. I haven't heard anything like this though. I would check SARC (www.symantec.com) for any kind of info. It is never cool to be the first to discover a virus
    No, I guess not [actually, that *would* be cool... so long as its not my computer]

Had been reading through the latest Symantec reports, but could not find anything mirroring the descriptions I've run into. When this last happened (blaster worm), we were trying to figure out what was going on twenty-four hours before it was "made public".
    My name is Steve, and I'm a super-villian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do they name viruses ?. You know when they discover a dinosaur they will usually name it after the discovers name is that the same case with viruses ?.
    Keston.E: The greatest things in life are the things we love.
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
    Cheers to new beginnings | Keep ya head up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32ororl.html
    Have a look at this maybe a pointer

Basically it could be any win32 virus. Update to the latest virus identies and run a scan

Kili
    It's not how long you live that counts but how you live

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KestonE
    How do they name viruses ?. You know when they discover a dinosaur they will usually name it after the discovers name is that the same case with viruses ?.
    Believe it or not they name them very quickly based on a unique identifier (usually a comment) in the code. The reason it is done quickly is so 1) their teams can identify it as they try to figure it out and 2) so they can publicize it and hopefully get credited with the name that sticks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must be a bit complicated how ever they are payed to do what they do so I am sure they don't mind.
    Keston.E: The greatest things in life are the things we love.
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
    Cheers to new beginnings | Keep ya head up