Thread: Hitbox Kaput

Hybrid View

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Webmaster,

Thank you for being a member of the HitBox Banner Network. Your contribution has helped
    serve more than 100 million impressions each month.

As you know, the Internet advertising market has changed in recent months. For this
    reason, we sincerely regret to announce that we will no longer continue operating the
    HitBox Banner Network.

According to the HBN Agreement, it may be cancelled by either party at any time by
    notification in writing via e-mail. Accordingly, this email is your official
    notification that we are terminating your HBN contract with WebSideStory effective as of
    Thursday, February 15, 2001. After this date, we will no longer pay you for advertising
    fees on the banner displayed on your web site. A final check for any outstanding
    earnings to you will be issued at the end of February, provided that you are entitled to
    $25 or more in earnings as of February 15. In accordance with the contract, no checks
    will be issued for less than $25 and any earnings balances below that amount will be
    forfeited. Unpaid amounts for accumulated revenue from multiple quarters for $25 or more
    will be honored.

Of course, WebSideStory will continue to provide you with the hundreds of statistics
    you are used to receiving from the HitBox service, and your historical statistics will
    not be lost when the HitBox Banner Network ceases operations. You may elect to change the
    size of your current button/banner by choosing an alternative choice in the 'Edit
    Account' in your HitBox stats page. Make the new selection and click 'Update Now'.
    You will then need to replace the HitBox code on your site with the updated code.

Thank you again for your participation. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to
    contact Support at http://www.hitbox.com/cgi-bin/page.c...pport/helpdesk

WebSideStory Marketing

--------

Hitbox sucks anyways. Get AXS for site statistics. http://www.xav.com/axs/
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another cash grab. Would I be crazy to think that a major benefit
    of cancelling the program is being able to keep all that money, that
    otherwise would have to be classified as a future liability?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, after trying HBN for awhile, it does suck (slow and.. slow!) But anyway, how much do you think they get away with the <$25 limit?
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ethical company would cut checks for all earned balances over $1, rather
    than rely on some legalistic clause that allows them to act unilaterally and
    seize all the money.

As far as how much - I see Hitbox logos everywhere, but I'm not familiar
    with the specific program that's being discontinued. How many webmasters
    participate? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The program is their tracking program that includes a 486x60 banner on your site. Awhile back they turned that into a CPC banner at 10 cents per click too. I was doing that when my site first started out - it was mostly defaults to hitbox.com that you didn't get paid for though.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those former Hitbox members who would like to join a similar program, which provides both in-depth site stats and a CPC banner, check out iClicks @:
    http://iclicks.mycomputer.com

They pay 10 cents/click, and send payments monthly after a minimum $10 has been accrued. I use this program on one of my sites, and have been quite happy with the results given that they can be used as a below-the-scroll banner to supplement your above-the-scroll income.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things that really upset me about this...
    1) if they had set up "Master" accounts like they had stated they were going to eventually implement...I would be well over the $25.00 threshold. I was running the HitBox banner network on about 6 different sites and was slowly accumalating revenue on each account. My clickthru was low because I ran the banners at the bottom but I was getting there.

2) HitBox has not released a utility to retro-actively "fix" your pages. You have to manually edit every page to the new code way-sucks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <writing this from work so I'll correct any errors when I get home>

...bear with me and you'll understand the connection
    Several days ago I received an e-mail from Altavista Affiliate Relations stating that they were going to discontinue their affiliate programand NOT compensate those webmasters that had failed to reach the minimum amout required for payment (sound familiar?). And then yesterday I received an e-mail from Altavista that stated that due to overwhelming complaints from said webmasters that they were going to send out checks for all amounts earned over $1.00(?)...

So the moral of my story is that maybe if we e-mail HitBox en-mass they'll come to their senses and compensate were compensation is due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After that, we can all pull the same tactic on Amazing Media. I've emailed them twice during the past few days to plead with them about sending the $40 that I will have outstanding now that they've cancelled my account (without advance notice), but have yet to receive a reply.

(Yeah, I know, it's a small amount, but it all adds up!)

In reality, though, I don't think we'll see any of our outstanding funds from these firms. After all, they're cancelling accounts now not due to terms violations, but due to market conditions. If the truth comes out, you may find that affiliate earnings have placed too great a burden on these firms, and that they could be forced to shut down their entire operation if they were forced to pay up.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm home

-------------------
    Dear Stanley,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our restructuring of the Standard Affiliate Program. Our organization has decided to issue compensation checks to all affiliates who have earned commission regardless of amount. We appreciate your efforts to promote AltaVista and wish to extend our gratitude for your participation and support. If you have any further questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us: affiliate-support@av.com.

Best Regards

The AltaVista Affiliate Network
    Smart is Beautiful
    -------------------
    <thank you Alatavista>

I don't care if it's only 1 cent...the point is that most of these firms have received potentially millions of dollars worth of branding and traffic from web publishers and if they decide to discontinue their programs than they should be decent enough to admit that you have earned those funds. It's a completely different story if I decide as a web publisher to not promote a particular program and I haven't reached the minimum payout amount. The ill will that these firms are generating with thier heavy handed tactics is substantial...and through forums like these we as web publishers have a bigger voice than we realize.