SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talking need suggestions on my web design site

Hi,

I have finally launched a web design site for myself.. As most of you should know it is very hard to judge your own site so I thought I'd get a view from you people. It is basically a personal portfolio site.

http://www.egor-k.com

Looking for honest, constructive feedback on design, coding, content and everything. I have optimized it for search engines and its got a PR of 4. Any further suggestions on SEO will be ver helpful.

Suggestions for improvement will be greately appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I like the bold green! The site is very speedy at 56k. Looks fine at 800*600, on Firefox 0.8, Opera 7.23 and 7.5, Internet Explorer 6, and Mozilla 1.6.

The menu and site is structurally sound. Those images of the telephone, pen, mantis, add to artistic appeal, and will no doubt be very impressive to potential customers. (-;

Your egorkduchnarev media solutions graphics in the top left of the screen could do with being a bit bigger. The "media solutions" part of the graphic is quite hard to make out.

I also feel that the link text which makes up the extra navigation underneath the black and white pictures could do with being black, or green. With the current grey colour, it is quite easy to overlook (from the casual browser point of view).

Just minor gripes, altogether a very neat bold style, with the all important functional menu/content system.

[just had a look at your design for d4hosting.com, I wish I could find a host which offered unlimited mysql databases for £11 a year! Another nice design, btw.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are some things i noticed about your site:

-the green box that the 'quality design solutions' is in kinda bugs my eyes. perhaps a solid color would work better? the diagonal lines just dont do it for me.

-its also kind of dull.

things i like about the site:

-very organized.

-professional looking. the work in your portfolio is good !

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont think it is dull because the lime green constrasts witht he grey shades very well. It is also very clean and corporate and modern.

You will get a better quality of clients looking for you to work for them from this style than from a little more avante garde style. <- believe me...I am first hand experience of this. =)

The read more link is very difficult to see, it is about a 808080 against a 707070 bg color...

In the green the Slogan is rather weak, "quality design Solutions" maybe you are elaving it vague for marketing purposes, but i think something catchy or something more specific would do more to get business.
    You also seem very good with CSS, why notmake the green text text and the image a background?

AND REMOVE THE GOOGLE ADS

if this is a tutorial site, fine, but this is a B2B marketing tool, WTF are you thinking? you want to distract your visitors? you want business to go elsewehere?

I might also adjust on the about page, "me myself and i"

it doesnt inspire confidence in anynoe that might be interested in hiring you. at least it doesnt do it for me. but then again no amount of text will help you sell..it is about image, and how you speak to these people when they call you.

good job!

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fantastic display of professional Graphics Design!

Functionality of the site is superb, great speed!

Fully serves itís purpose and you have proven yourself to be a highly professional Graphics Designer.

Thumbs Up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    webmorpheus, thanks a lot for the tips. I was testing with the google ads and have realized they have no place on a site like this so removed them.

As for the slogans i will also take your advice and replace the images with text. I used the images because I don't particularly like how browsers anti-alias the text, but I guess its not a big deal.

Pedro, thanks I am not actually a graphic designer as of yet, starting diploma in 2 weeks time.

People, I have taken most of your suggestions on board so far.

Keep them coming please

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me start off by saying, I really like it.

I think the biggest improvements you could make to your overall design are mostly related to typography. A couple things I would do are remove the letter spacing from ID = "lists" and decrease its size to 12 pixels, and increase the line height for ID = "rightcontent". I would also change the link color. At its current gray state, my eye glances right over it, even forgetting to read the word.

"Media solutions" underneath your logo is difficult to read. "Visit site" button could also be bigger.

On your contact page, the text boxes have no outline. They are there, but most people will think they do not exist, and therefore not contact you.

Lastly, I would reverse your page title from most important to least important. "About me" is the most important part of the title for the about page. Don't you think?

Reviewer details:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Foxfire 0.8
    Pentium 4 2.40GHz
    1.00 GB of RAM
    Broadband Internet Connection
    -Lewis

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your about us page, I would also make the resume available is several formats: ZIP, PDF, Word Doc, etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also feel that the link text which makes up the extra navigation underneath the black and white pictures could do with being black, or green. With the current grey colour, it is quite easy to overlook (from the casual browser point of view).
    The text looks better, I hope you changed it, I don't trust my eyes. |-:

-the green box that the 'quality design solutions' is in kinda bugs my eyes. perhaps a solid color would work better? the diagonal lines just dont do it for me.
    Keep the diagonal cross hatching on the green by all means, a solid green would be a bit too bold, considering your target audience.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plus the diag scans fit the overal theme of the design. this is your design and your creativity, dont jump all over one person's opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE it, it's one of the greatest designs I've seen in a while (i guess I've been looking at my own for so long )

The only thing is that the praying mantis in the about & services pages kinda freaked me out. I see a pen, a phone, some papers, then some FREAKING HUGE PRAYING MANTIS. Pardon my caps.

Also, you should use different images on the about & services pages (currently they're both praying mantisis)

On another note, I really like when a web designer uses images and text together intelligently I don't like when people make new images for the header of every page, when they could just use text. So great job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, I really like this site ! Very modern, quick and gives me a very professional feeling.

The only thing that comes to me after browsing is the sub-menu options (i.e. the options "Graphic Design" and "Web Design" under the "Portfolio" heading) - I wonder if there would be a better way of structuring this so that nobody misses these links ?

Great site, good stuff !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser
    then some FREAKING HUGE PRAYING MANTIS. Pardon my caps.
    Thats me If anyone has sugestions for the header pic for the services page I'd love to hear them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt think it was so bad...but what does it represent? does the mantis have any special attributes that would make sense to the page or theme?

if you want to go with nature have a big frog with close up on the big eyes and have the slogan in green, "watching out for your bottom line" or something...i know you have the creativity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Pray for a good design?" sorry, couldn't resist.

I took a picture of a shieldbug a while ago, haven't used it for anything. Maybe you could use it for "Services" it is the right size.

"Fast, secure sites" :
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/ultimate.../shieldbug.jpg

It would probably only really look good as grayscale, but I could post the .psd or .cpt file if you want it. Consider it public domain!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Hal9k. I will play around with it in photoshop and see if I can polish it up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is a good site. One small comment - why not think about your identity?
    If you use title:
    <title>Web Design, Logo and Graphic Design in Melbourne, Australia | Egor Kouchnarev
    Media Solutions</title>
    The SE list will not display your name and firm.
    Perhaps <title>Media Solutions - proffesional Web Design, Logo and Graphic Design in Melbourne</title> would be better.
    we do web design and SEO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/ultimate.../shieldbug.psd

I saved the photoshop file with Corel Photopaint, I hope it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a nice color trend. I would sugest making your header a bit smaller! Add a nav bar to the bottom with textlinks and a site map for SEO purpose!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remove the price!!

now you may not be the best salesman, but at least try. because you will have to be one eventually if you want to work for yourself.

listing the price so low at 449 has many bad phsycological implications...

1. with a price so low, it is assumed quality must be compromised. such as fast food, you dont expect mcdonalds to be 4star.

2. starting so low, there is no where to negotiate but downwards. I always try to give a client "sticker shock", (term coming from the sticker on new cars) make the price a good ways above your bottom line, so that when they negotiate to the price you wanted in the first place, they feel they received a good deal!

I could go on and on but I think you should be able to get the idea...

Dont set a price on service, because it involves labor and time.

Do set a price a product, because there is no labor and/or time. (other than free install packages, etc..)

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egor,

Your designs are awesome if I must say so myself. That's really all I can say, awesome all the way around. I really love the layout of your LifeisBeautiful website.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Deron

Thanks a lot everyone, your opinions have been taken onboard.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows ME, 800 x 600, Internet Explorer 5.

Maybe I've been online for too long, but the large block of green on each page is hurting my eyes a little. Maybe you could make it transition back and fourth with another image, like on your site lifeisbeautiful.com.

I've noticed that many design firms think small is cool when it comes to their websites, but the size of the logo is pushing it. I think it should be a little bit bigger. It's kinda like a big man in a little suit, or actually, a little man in a big suit. Right now the site is "small" at the top and "big" as you move down. I think it should be the other way around.

I like the light grey dividing lines throughout the site.

The green line above the copyright text doesn't reach far enough to the right where the white box ends.

On the About page I would do something with the large white space below the scary praying mantis. I think it's too much white space. At 800 x 600 I can't see any of the text below, which makes the page feel empty or partially completed.

This is a very professional site overall. Congratulations. I enjoyed looking at your portfolio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mishi98,

Thanks, I pit the green in there purely for contrast reasons.

The green line should look fine, but then again I ignored IE's under 6.

The site is supposed to be centered, was in in your browser?

Thanks