SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member odditysoftware's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Radio Advertising

Inexpensive idea that has been very effective thus far, especially good if you have an online presence.

http://www.shockads.com/NetRadio.php

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

internet radio

Hi,
    im new to the field of internet radio advertising, can you suggest the best radio station that has the most listeners, or be able to give me a site that shows the amount of listeners to a particular radio station. Im wanting to advertise a web design and programming business through internet radio.

Thanks for your advice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same question. Could some one offer an insite to internet radio advertising?

Thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's of course very dependant from radio station to radio station, both the amount of listeners and the rate they charge.

For example www.di.fm is the radio I listen to from time to time, they have a large userbase and also offer advertising on it. The amount of listeners is listed next to each channel ...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heheh, I listen to Digitally Imported too (right now in fact.) From what I can tell, alot of these free stations are struggling to at least break even. DI recently implemented a subscription service for their higher-quality feeds, but keeps the lower quality streams free.

If you use Winamp as your media player, hitting ALT - L will take you to the media library, where you can view the Internet Radio stations and sort them by listeners. This is the most direct way of finding the bigger ones that I can think of. There are alot more internet radio stations out there, but finding their sizes would be alot more work.

Acording to the Winamp shoutcast list, these shockads.com stations have very few listeners. Right now all of them have less than 10. I'd be more than a little hesistant to spend any money on them, especially at rates their page advertises. For a little comparision, the top shoutcast station has 2844 listeners right now.

As far as advertising with online radio stations, you would probably have to solicit them directly. I'm not familiar with any that have advertising programs.. in fact they are usually ad-free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Radio Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by lanacode
    Hi,
    im new to the field of internet radio advertising, can you suggest the best radio station that has the most listeners, or be able to give me a site that shows the amount of listeners to a particular radio station. Im wanting to advertise a web design and programming business through internet radio.

Thanks for your advice.
    We have been advertsing our website since April 2004 both with instream audio ads as well as banner ads on this station with some pretty impressive results:

www.lynxradionetwork.com

They have a monthly listener base of over 300,000 and have yielded over 1500 hits to our site per month with nearly 3% purchasing customers.

They can be contacted at info@crikfm.com Hope this helps.

Cheers!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's at least one post in here from a person who recommends a particular internet broadcaster who actually works for that broadcaster.

So Lesson One is to be careful.

Before you buy advertising on any internet radio station, I would check some sites, and contact some of the advertisers you see on those sites - see what kind of ROI they're getting; even then, be careful. You never know when you're talking to a salesperson from the radio station who's pretending to be a happy client. Call companies you've heard of who have ads on internet stations and go from there.

Frankly, that's the only way I can think of that you can make an informed decision. Unlike "regular radio", which I was in for 22 years, there is no widely accepted authority that tracks and ranks internet radio ratings. Arbitron, which is the standard in the US for "regular radio" ratings, pulled out of the internet radio ratings game earlier this year, mostly because the technology is too new, to "iffy", and has far too low a penetration into the marketplace to be profitable.

Additionally - there are various forms of internet radio advertising - there are banner ads (and similar) on internet radio station web pages, and there are actual broadcast audio commercials (like on regular radio). If you're going to use broadcast commercials, I'd be wary of stations that offer to do your commercial for free, unless you've heard other commercials on the station and like what they do. But you're not going to get a memorable, toe-tapping jingle that will stick in people's heads if it's something the radio station threw in as a freebie.

If someone else (who isn't a salesperson or personality for an internet radio station) has other ideas, I'd love to hear 'em. Internet radio will likely be around for a while, but until it really takes hold it could be difficult to know whom to trust.

Just my $0.02, YMMV.
    imusicians.com
    The new website for musicians.
    More features. Less money. And a lot less bull.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the thread about Internet Radio advertising and wanted to chime in.

My name is Chris J. Popp and I own "9412 - The Rock Station", a Classic Rock station that's been on the net for 5 years.

9412 has 20 hours of live DJ's monday - friday with 6 hours on Saturday and 14 hours on Sunday. When there's not a live DJ, our automation system is used.

9412 - The Rock Station is truly "interactive radio". DJ's take requests first before they play what they want, via our chat room, instant messengers and email. Often a DJ will get filled up on requests within the first hour of thier shift.

"9412 - The Rock Station" is ran as PG-13 in dj content and language, however we do not edit the music. 9412 feels that the artists words should never be manipulated.

Currently ranked the #1 station for Classic Rock on Shoutcast.com, we are averaging 2500 listeners per hour in Daypart (6a - 6p). The figure comes from tune ins, tune outs and number of people listening at a time per stream. Stream count is currently at 960 and those get filled.

Ad rates are $3 per :30 spot. Show sponsorships are available as well for shows such as "Think Pink", 1 hours worth of Pink Floyd; "Commercial Free Lunch", 12n - 1p commercial and promo and jingle free with sponsors name at top, middle and bottom of hour and mentions of sponsor in conjuction with show; "Jukebox Friday Night", an oldies show on Fridays from 8p - 10p. There's more shows as well as we can make a show to fit your need.

To preserve the free-form programing style and AOR tone, commercials are limited to 4 minutes per hour. Surveys conducted have shown that having a low ceiling will help preserve listenership numbers and draw attention to your ad.

I can send anyone a copy of our 9 page media packet with detailed rate and statistic info.

I'm willing to write more on this if you would like.

Thanks,
    Chris J. Popp
    Program Director
    9412 - The Rock Station
    www.9412.com

SitePoint Member universal_knac's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think KNAC.com is a huge internet radio station. It used to be a local radio station here in Los Angeles, now its on the net. its a heavy metal only station. Know your radio stations audience before advertising.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpopp View Post
    9412 - The Rock Station is truly "interactive radio". DJ's take requests first before they play what they want, via our chat room, instant messengers and email. Often a DJ will get filled up on requests within the first hour of thier shift. . . . .Show sponsorships are available as well for shows such as "Think Pink", 1 hours worth of Pink Floyd
    Well , Now that I have seen 9412.com's post I have to chime in as well. Obviously you are not LEGALLY licensed then OR you are breaking the D.M.C.A.'s rules on purpose ( Digital Millenium CopyRight Act if you dont know what that is) which you will be shut down for if they investigate you ! You cannot play 1 hour straight of Pink Floyd ! Read your rules ! If your even legally licensed that is ! Direct quote from D.M.C.A. : Your program must not be part of an "interactive service." For your purposes, this means that you cannot perform sound recordings within one hour of a request by a listener or at a time designated by the listener. Now that isnt all : In any three-hour period, you should not intentionally program more than three songs (and not more than two songs in a row) from the same recording; you should not intentionally program more than four songs (and not more than three songs in a row) from the same recording artist or anthology/box set.So Basically if your playing an hour straight of Pink Floyd , your intentionally breaking the rules .

Listen folks ,
    You have to make sure your not advertising with an ILLEGAL station. I dont know if 9412 has a license or not but assuming they do , they are breaking a contracted agreement with a major corporation that has the ability to shut em down.

Do Investigation before you advertise with a station is my suggestion. While a station may be great to listen to , if their not licensed , then why not just call em what they are - Pirate Radio stations.

I proudly display a legally licensed banner on my site and people can investigate it and see we are legal , and I also am registered with my local chamber of commerce as well ! So not only do we have radio licensing but we have business licensing as well ! AND . . . . .I follow DMCA rules !!!

So think about this before payiing out your hard earned dollars . Would you rather give it to people who are taking your money , giving you an ad they created in their bedroom and spending your money on a new playstation game ? OR . . . .Give your money to a station that works towards really becoming a example of what the future of technology can hold for determined , dedicated business folks . A station that has a REAL studio for the creation of your ad that will air worldwide . A station that sinks it's profits into the latest music and upgrades of equipment to give you the best quality possible .

Things to consider huh ???

John Michaels
    Owner
    BullsEye Radio
    Legally Licensed
    Broadcasting to the world 24 /7
    When you want the best . . . .Aim for the BullsEye !

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old thread, but what the hell....

As an advertiser myself, I checked out a few online radio stations. They have very little traffic, and combine that with them asking for so much, JUST because it is "radio," I quickly ran the other way.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet marketing is increasing day by day so is the need of advertising .Internet radio has established itself as a great source of inexpensive entertainment ,education and business as compared to usual radios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember this, the radio stations will tell you the number of people listening to their station...not the number of people listening to their ads. I'll drive for hours listening to the radio and an hour after my drive I couldn't name 10 of the hundreds of ads I'd heard during those hours.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    online-music, you really need to do your research.